Alternative Power Point - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Biz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Alternative Power Point

OK, instead of buying the Kawasaki power point for crazy money, has anyone bought one of these? I like that it's switched to kill power. Found it on Amazon for $18.60. Not sure it's got enough chops to power some electric grips though, thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (10.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (7.4 KB, 61 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 09:13 AM

Garage
I have one similar (have not mounted it yet) and someone else in this thread CLICKY mounted that one up last week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So, I also cringed at the cost of the OEM Kawasaki relay and socket for the Versys, but wanted it to be a simple, clean plug-n-play installation. So, I ordered a kit for the Vulcan on ebay, $45. It is the same relay, same socket, plugs right in. All I had to do was modify the bracketry, which was pretty simple with a dremel tool. Just study where it mounts and it is easy to figure out. My socket is in the original spot, with the relay mounted below it. It just has to clear the tank panels, easy peasy.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Biz

So the only reason to use the Kaw bracket and relay is: 1) it shuts off power via the relay when key is turned off so battery doesn't drain down, and 2) you can use the existing plug dangling on the bike? Can the Kaw plug handle the load pulled by heated grips, and these others cannot? Thanks.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I got the Kawi relay for about $16 Canadian, installed it, then took power off the NOW-powered places for other (non-Kawi) items....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 12:45 PM

I was under the impression that the plug didn't exist for gen one 2008 bikes...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
im not sure what your asking (dyslexia doesnt help) are you asking if the versys (not sure what gen you have) can handle the plug and heated grips? or how to wire it up or what?
if your wanting it to be switched power (IE bike is turned off it is off) you will need to add a relay, you dont have to get the over priced kawasaki one you can wire up any relay as long as it can handle the volts and watts, id also make sure to have an inline fuse.
feel free to PM me if your wanting help,
i have a first gen and have installed a switch aux fuse block i made and i rune a aux plug , heated grips, gps/phone power supply, off it and also have an alarm system thats wired hot (always on)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Biz

When I saw the wires dangling on my 2014, I thought this is where all accessories should connect, but I guess it's really more for lighter duty cell phone, GPS, etc. The power point kit made by Kawi was crazy expensive, like $140;l then saw the other aftermarket devices, but many are being panned as crap quality by reviewers. I suppose heated grips should likely be on a heavy dedicated fused line going the battery, not tapped in to the power point.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 09:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz View Post
When I saw the wires dangling on my 2014, I thought this is where all accessories should connect, but I guess it's really more for lighter duty cell phone, GPS, etc. The power point kit made by Kawi was crazy expensive, like $140;l then saw the other aftermarket devices, but many are being panned as crap quality by reviewers. I suppose heated grips should likely be on a heavy dedicated fused line going the battery, not tapped in to the power point.
you should be just fine running accessorys from the factory replay stop, just add a relay and fuses
here is mine that i made on my 09 http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...tml#post940961

yes im a guy.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 10:01 AM

silvie, did you wire yours in using a plug and play prewired into the 2008 harness? I was under the impression that the connector for the plug an play stuff wasn't included till 2009 or maybe gen2 models.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Biz

I guess I'm going to step back and figure out what I want and just do my own thing, hate spending money on overpriced stuff. Thanks for everyone's input.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
silvie, did you wire yours in using a plug and play prewired into the 2008 harness? I was under the impression that the connector for the plug an play stuff wasn't included till 2009 or maybe gen2 models.
interested as well. i have an '09 never considered that there might be taps to use.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
I was under the impression that the plug didn't exist for gen one 2008 bikes...
Sorry kohburn - I SHOULD have specified that post was about my 2015 V!

Additionally - I bought a 12v plug 'kit' at Cycle Gear ($13) which I will install on the GREEN HORNET TOO...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 12:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
if you read the post i linked too it shows how i added a switch fuse block to the first gen for under $10~

yes im a guy.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 12:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
interested as well. i have an '09 never considered that there might be taps to use.
if you read the post i linked too it shows how i added a switch fuse block to the first gen for under $10~

yes im a guy.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 12:41 PM

Garage
If you look on Ebay there are a ton of cheap options shipped directly from China.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 12:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
If you look on Ebay there are a ton of cheap options shipped directly from China.
yup thats what i did, ordered a sealed 4 fuse fuse block and 4 wire relay. then heat shrink , connectors , zipties, and wire insulation to make it ann nice and clean

yes im a guy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode