Valve adjustment interval for California models - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Valve adjustment interval for California models

The shop manual says for California models, the valve adjustment interval is 15K miles, and for OTHER models it is 26K miles!

15/26 = 58% valve adjustment interval of OTHER models! Is that because of the restricted air (turbo) effect? Because I never knew if the first valve adjustment had ever been done, I had one around 10K miles, and WOW, did it run great! 15k is not bad at all, but 26K is the longest I've heard of except Honda Nighthawk 750's which had self adjusting tappets.

When I move out of CA, I'd like to set it back to the OTHER models so I'd get that great valve adjustment interval. Off hand, does anyone know what the exact difference is? Too bad you can't just flip a switch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
They actually mean Canada... It really is the same interval for wherever you happen to be in the solar system, depending on riding habits, local conditions, and level of maintenance.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
They actually mean Canada... It really is the same interval for wherever you happen to be in the solar system, depending on riding habits, local conditions, and level of maintenance.
OK, Thanks!

Does Canada use ethanol gas too? That would be significant difference between US/CA and others if so.

Thanks again, I forgot about CAnada.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 08:48 PM

Yeah we have up to 10% ethanol in regular 87 pump octane (RON+MON/2), and I use premium 91 ethanol-free... They did abolish the USA ethanol mandate, so we can hope to see a return to real gasoline soon I hope.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Yeah we have up to 10% ethanol in regular 87 pump octane (RON+MON/2), and I use premium 91 ethanol-free... They did abolish the USA ethanol mandate, so we can hope to see a return to real gasoline soon I hope.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
I'm glad to hear you abolished 'moonshine' gas. When it was implemented, i was in FL and saw my gas mileage go down 20 to 25%; and I was on a tight budget, so I noticed it. You get good gas mileage at sea level, but if you stepped on the gas, it sucks it down fast.

I used acetone for a while there and got incredible gas mileage and my 300K mile 1994 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl pulled like a turbo for about 6 months. Then I had a fuel filter problem in my gas tank, so couldn't figure if it had anything to do with it: so I quit using it.

Acetone is the secret to better mileage and power. Any my truck ran like it was brand new! But with different materials oem's put in fuel supply chain, they make it adverse to use it since it will melt almost all plastics: bastards.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 12:17 AM

I never understood why Canada models need shorter valve adjustment intervals when the bikes are made here in Thailand and I understand there is so significant difference that would require a shorter adjustment period

Or maybe we Canadians just flog them a bit more?

In any case inspect them early as everyone I have seen is tight the first go
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 03:20 AM

Even my Japan built 2007 Canadian Versys doesn't require more frequent valve clearance adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode