Tire Gauge - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By BLACK DOG
  • 1 Post By kawdog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Tire Gauge

I have about half dozen tire gauges, some I've used for years but now I am questioning some of them.
Some i have paid a lot of money for, like the glycerin filled one that I use for the race car.
Took them out yesterday and checked one against another.
Most were about 1lb apart but one was 2lbs

So my question is, what type of tire gauge do you use and why? How do you know that it is correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
you can test them if you have a valve stem and compressor that you trust its presser read out on, but to be honest 1-2 psi is no big deal IMO i personally do a 10% under recommended psi for expanding and contracting and error in readouts

oh and the gauges i use that are not built into the compressor are no names and a slime brand one

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have 3 that I use. All read within 1 lb of each other.

The best is an older made-in-usa Accu-Gauge. It's the analog round gauge style, supposedly accurate to .1 pound. It doesn't fit very easily on motorcycles due to the geometry. It has a pressure bleed off valve so you can keep it on the valve stem and bleed off the pressure down to precisely what you want. I love mine so much I bought one each for my wife and daughters' cars.

The newest one kept in my Versys kit is a RoadGear TG101 digital programmable gauge. The geometry is perfect for getting into the tight spaces on motorcycle rims. Accurate to within 1 lb according to the manufacturer, digital readout to the nearest .5 pounds. Programmable with front and rear pressures for quick reference. Built in light which is quite handy in dim conditions.

The third is a basic pencil style which was supposed to be accurate within 1 lb, and not some super cheap model, but not expensive either.

I have always been a fan of excellent tires, on cars and bikes, kept at the correct pressure for the situation. Any decent gauge used regularly is good enough, and better than the best gauge never used.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 11:15 AM

A standard auto-parts gage is pretty consistent. You shouldn't be looking for absolute measures and should be looking for relative measures and be going by the feel of the road with the same gage. If you are switching gages around, you are probably risking tire wear problems from incorrect inflation as they have daily use cycles anyway from temp, speed, tires, etc...

Error rate - every time you are checking your air: a pound or two can leak out, especially at noisy gas stations. If there are error rates, the more expensive complex ones are probably the culprits.

All I need is one in my motorcycle jacket and one per 4 wheeled vehicle in the glove box. I'd just use the same standard type for each for more consistent measure readings between vehicles. Air readings are pretty robust for the most part. You may have gotten ripped off on those fancy ones and I'd toss them if they differ from a standard gage: i.e. - the rest of the world is not wrong and your fancy gage is not the only right one, ha ha. ymmv.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Another case of the man with two watches...he never really knows what time it is.
invader likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have an Accu-Gage like Fly-Sig. Mine has a 90 degree head on it, so it does pretty well on the Versys wheels. When I have not checked for a week or more I use my bicycle pump and blow up the tires to what I know is more than they need. Then I use the gauge bleeder valve to get them down to where I want. I like this because the most air loss seems to come if you don't place the gauge squarely on the tire valve. But once you have it there it is easy to hold it there while you bleed down the pressure. I agree: what pressure you use should be based on using one tire gauge and then feeling how they handle and and how they wear.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
I have an Accu-Gage like Fly-Sig. Mine has a 90 degree head on it, so it does pretty well on the Versys wheels. When I have not checked for a week or more I use my bicycle pump and blow up the tires to what I know is more than they need. Then I use the gauge bleeder valve to get them down to where I want. I like this because the most air loss seems to come if you don't place the gauge squarely on the tire valve. But once you have it there it is easy to hold it there while you bleed down the pressure. I agree: what pressure you use should be based on using one tire gauge and then feeling how they handle and and how they wear.
Joe told everyone about these bent air valve cnc stems, and all the old men with bad backs got them. Air hoses have 1 foot straight nozzles and won't fit on any motorcycle mag wheel without 2 air cycles per wheel. FTS! These work great

https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/prod...oqk6m924sbscp4
weljo2001 likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Joe told everyone about these, and all the old men with bad backs got them. Air hoses have 1 foot straight nozzles and won't fit on any motorcycle mag wheel without 2 air cycles per wheel. FTS! These work great

https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/prod...oqk6m924sbscp4

Yep, I put those on any bike i get makes things so much easier....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode