Chain & Sprocket change with 15t / 43t gearing - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Chain & Sprocket change with 15t / 43t gearing

Hey folks!

I've been at it again messing with my Versys.

This time new chain and sprocket. I say sprocket because i left the front alone. The change came as a result of early chain death due to misalignment.

I've opted for a 43 tooth rear and as a result have dropped 2 links from the chain down to just 112.

But don't take my word for it. Of COURSE there's a couple of videos of me doing it!

And there's a cautionary tale about those pesky chain adjuster bolts in there too. Heed thee well!!

NEW Chain And Sprockets: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...bT-M1Ym5yXI8Ie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Andy - FWIW - I changed my countershaft sprockets at roughly HALF the mileage I changed my rear ones, BECAUSE they were worn, teeth starting to 'hook'....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Andy - FWIW - I changed my countershaft sprockets at roughly HALF the mileage I changed my rear ones, BECAUSE they were worn, teeth starting to 'hook'....
Was that the oem rubber insulated steel front sprockets or the steel replacement front sprockets that wore out so fast? I had 'heard' the rear wear out faster (on all Jap bikes) and was wondering if that was a price to pay for the superior rubber insulated front sprockets.

THANKS!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Figuring that the front goes around roughly three times as many as the rear, I'd guess that the front gets more wear in a given work cycle.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Figuring that the front goes around roughly three times as many as the rear, I'd guess that the front gets more wear in a given work cycle.
one would think.... ive had bikes (drz's) that ate rear sprockets like none other, but the front would last for almost ever

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Was that the oem rubber insulated steel front sprockets or the steel replacement front sprockets that wore out so fast?...
I replaced the OEM and aftermarket countershaft sprockets at roughly the SAME mileage interval. On BIG RED which has 59,520 miles - at 29,642 miles, then AGAIN at 54,228 miles. (The rear sprocket was changed at the SAME time I replaced the ORIGINAL chain at 56,901 miles.) YRMV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Correct.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode