Does the V have a gear sensitive ignition retard? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Does the V have a gear sensitive ignition retard?

I was talking to a coworker who told me his Hayabusa (I know, TOTALLY different bike) would only allow max power in 6th gear at over 5k rpms (like 150+ mph) and he installed a unit that tricked the ecu into thinking it was always in 6th gear.

Does the Versys have such a safety built in as well? I know its like a third or less in the power department, but if I could tune the ignition to run 92 octane, I would.... any help here would be great...

I have a sneaking feeling it will be a one-word answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack425 View Post
I was talking to a coworker who told me his Hayabusa (I know, TOTALLY different bike) would only allow max power in 6th gear at over 5k rpms (like 150+ mph) and he installed a unit that tricked the ecu into thinking it was always in 6th gear.

Does the Versys have such a safety built in as well? I know its like a third or less in the power department, but if I could tune the ignition to run 92 octane, I would.... any help here would be great...

dunno
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 12:03 PM

Called a "TRE" - (timing retard eliminator) I;ve one on my TLs, simple resistor or active transistor, depending how clever you want to be. But to be sure, the ECU would have to be hacked - but think very unlikly given the output

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack425 View Post

Here is the short answer, your friend is retarded.

Now the long answer. A modern sportbike has an ignition programed to not allow the bike to pass the standard govenor. 180 mph. But the computer only looks at this in high gears and doesn't expect you to be doing 180 mph in 2nd gear. So the TRE will trick the computer to always think its in 2nd gear allowing a bike to have to top end govenor. Most TRE modules actualy mess with the bike's gear indicator.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 03:17 PM

Think about it (bit more before calling people retards) Whole idea is to soften power delivery to help stop joe public highsiding in lower gears etc. TRE does excact opposite of what you say to restore that power.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

This man you call retarded has been riding for twice my lifetime and owned over 25 bikes, many of which exceeded 150hp. I'd like to think he'd know about his own machine....

The V has low numbers and was hoping to restore some hidden power if there were any. I too doubt there is a limiter, but if there were, I'd bypass that sucker to gain a little. Factory programming is good for protecting Joe public from himself and thats about it.

Thanks for the helpful info!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
You have to patient with Jake. He's from Oklahoma

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 07:14 AM

Ok after a little more research it looks like a new (chip type) TRE will change the ignition timing in the first 3 gears, and remove the top speed limiter by tricking the computer to think its in 5th still.

The old, resistor style will still only change the computer to think its in a different gear to remove the top speed limiter. Suzuki motorcycles are the only one's that really need the tre. If your that woried about it get the powercommander and the ignition module.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
... If your that woried about it get the powercommander and the ignition module.
I figured that would be the case..... a lot of money for a little gain.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Ok after a little more research it looks like a new (chip type) TRE will change the ignition timing in the first 3 gears, and remove the top speed limiter by tricking the computer to think its in 5th still.

The old, resistor style will still only change the computer to think its in a different gear to remove the top speed limiter. Suzuki motorcycles are the only one's that really need the tre. If your that woried about it get the powercommander and the ignition module.
thanks for apology to his friend/rest of forum for garbage post! but rapidly losing faith in your posts ....

An "active" TRE using a transisitor, still uses resistors (how else does would it mimic the stock gear position sesnor?) so perfoms excatly the same way. with the benefit of actively switching back to a nuetral map to presrve a stable tickover.

Not so only suzukis - Have you owned a bike before?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 133bhp View Post
thanks for apology to his friend/rest of forum for garbage post! but rapidly losing faith in your posts ....

An "active" TRE using a transisitor, still uses resistors (how else does would it mimic the stock gear position sesnor?) so perfoms excatly the same way. with the benefit of actively switching back to a nuetral map to presrve a stable tickover.

Not so only suzukis - Have you owned a bike before?
Yes i have owned multiple bikes, neither my ninja or my cbr needed a tre. I don't know what your trying to point out with your post? I was simply stating what i read from multipe sites selling a tre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode