Component Identification - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Component Identification

Hello to the board from a new member. No stranger to wrenching on my own bikes, but new to my '09' Versys. I've noticed a weep of oil from under the motor and have tracked it to one/both bolts that use a copper crush washer under the head. After digging through the repair manual and exploded diagrams I fail to determine just what these bolts are for. I don't like just removing unknown external bolts that hold an internal component that may/may not need to be aligned before the final torque setting. I'll go digging into the motor as a last resort but thought I'd ask the collective and avoid needless dis-assembly if possible. I've included two photos that show the location. They're on the left side of the bike, bottom of the motor. The torque value on the bolts is at spec from the factory, need to investigate why it's weeping. Thanking all of you for reading this. Happy Thanksgiving to the members of the board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0039.jpg (68.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0038.jpg (87.4 KB, 75 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What type of oil do you use in your auto chain oiler?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Another option to replacing those copper crush washers is to anneal them. Heat them with a torch, a handheld propane one with a pencil flame works fine, until they are cherry red. Obviously you will want to hold them with small needle nose pliers.

Then you can either let them cool slowly or quench them in cold water. Re-install and they should be good. I used that method for many Brit bikes, for instance when removing valve covers to adjust tappets, and it always worked for me. When heated, the indents caused by the bolt compressing the washer swell back to normal. Cheaper than buying new washers every time. The workshop manuals even recommended that method.

But then again, I'm a cheap Scot by heritage and I recycle everything that I can. More money for gas!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I ALWAYS re-anneal copper washers. I use a short piece of 'bent' coat-hangar to hold the washer (other end in my vice), then when it's been red awhile I 'knock' it off the wire into a cup of water.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
jdrocks- Thanks for your prompt reply. I perused the "splitting cases" section of the manual and found the diagram that did indeed confirm your information. Upon further investigation it may not be bolt #5 but may be the gasket seal on the generator cover. I've wiped the whole area down with alcohol and will check this morning with a Q-tip for oil.

Smiley and Fasteddie- I also re-use crush washers when possible. I'll anneal them, flatten across a file to remove high/low spots, and hit with a thin coat of aluminum paint for extra sealing properties. I get odd looks from this but I'm also the guy that puts valve shims in the surface grinder and takes a few .001's off rather than buy new ones. I prefer not to think of myself as cheap so much as using available resources.

I appreciate everybody that took time to read or help with my little problem, correcting it is probably just a swipe of RTV away. Hope everybody had a good holiday.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 05:55 AM

Is it not just oil that migrated down from your aftermarket chain oiling system? You better make sure before you start stripping the engine apart.

Last edited by invader; 11-28-2015 at 03:10 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Is it not just oil that migrated down from your aftermarket chain oiling system? You better make sure before you start stripping the engine apart.
-I didn't really read your post and thought you were being sarcastic with your wording, my apologies for not giving your comments more thought. There is no aftermarket oiler for the chain, it's all OEM for the most part on the bike. I can see where the chain oiler could cause the errant dribble that migrates to other places but there isn't one on there. I wiped everything down two days ago with some alcohol so I could determine where even a film of oil is coming from. I hadn't checked it yesterday, as intended, because the well pump quit in the middle of the night and I spent ALL of yesterday hauling the pump up 200 feet to examine it. The pump is back in place and I have running water again. I'm heading out to check the bike this morning. I have no intention of random disassembly, that's why I checked in here and did the alcohol wipe down first. I appreciate you looking out for my best interests Invader and want to thank you for your help. Will report back when things have been corrected. Thanks again for the help everybody has offered.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:12 AM

OEM chain oiler? There is no such thing... You bought your used 2009 Versys with your aftermarket chain oiler already installed by previous owner.

How much mileage is on it? Was that cover previously removed to replace a burnt stator?

Last edited by invader; 11-29-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode