deceleration problem - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
deceleration problem

Hi,

I'm the owner of a brand new ER-6n, I ride about 2000kms (1200 miles) with my bike since I bought it. I love it but since last week I think the bike have a problem with deceleration. I'm not sure it's a problem, maybe it's normal with the ER-6n.

The problem is when I release the throttle, it give a small hit. I mean, when I'm on the highway, riding @ 100 km/h (60 mph) if I release the throttle rather than decelerate gently, it gives a blow and then it gently decelerates.

It's happen at low speed too, first time I notice this it was in a traffic jam, every time I removed my hand from the throttle the bike gave a small hit, since in a traffic jam there is a lot of acceleration/deceleration I received constant kick from my bike.

It's really hard to explain, especially in English since it's not my first language. But if some Er6n owners here understand what I mean, can you just say me if your bike react the same way?

Deceleration was much softer on my previous bike, there was no such hit/kick when you release the throttle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:06 AM

Do you mean a popping noise from the muffler? This is common on the Versys and I'm sure the ER-6 as well.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick answer...

No, I don't mean a noise, I really mean...hum not sure of the correct word to use...a "bump" from the bike...you know a physical move, not only a sound.

An abrupt deceleration thats make me move (a bit) on my seat.

If I release the throttle, instead of a gently deceleration (like we feel when when we release the gaz pedal in a car), what I got instead is an abrupt deceleration first, then a gently deceleration.

It's an engine brake feeling...in fact the engine brake feels a bit "brutal" compare to my previous bike.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:33 AM

High compression motors with fuel injection does that. My Volvo does that if I let off the gas quick while at high revs and boost. Feels like I may break an engine mount!

The new bike is going to have stiffer (newer) mounts and yes, taking your hand totally off the gas will make you lurch forward into the tank. This is normal, just don't do it in first gear, use 2nd in traffic! My old carbureted Honda Magna was not quite so bad, but it had 24K miles on it!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:36 AM

thats probably a function of the EFI system closing the fuel in repsonse to your throttle adjustment. if your last bike was a carb bike that could explain it as carb bikes are more incremental. ie the carb wiull smooth out the throttle changes, where as the EFI will adjust to the setting.. ots more digital or on/off

the EFI system is quite aggressive (in part to pass emissions rules)
there is significant engine braking on this engine

if the change has come about after a while I'd suspect it could be amplified by chain tension
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

thanks all for all your answers

my previous bike had a carb yes I do not think it could have such an influence on the motor reaction.

I will check at the chain tension today...thanks for the hint!

It's really nice to find answers to our questions so quickly..thanks guys!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:52 AM

we aim to please
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 05:51 PM

It's normal when you let the throttle go. I have the habit of using the clutch along with the throttle and the breaks. Remind yourself of not shutting the throttle off when in the middle of a curve to slowdown. Your might be in for an unpleasant surprise.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:18 PM

nEvErLoOz, I think your English is excellent

With the engine off, do a quick check on the play of the throttle when you open up and close down.
Note the the cable has smooth play and not too slack at the throttle butterfly pulley.

Get the ER6N service manual at http://www.bikersoracle.com/er5/foru...ead.php?t=1117

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:33 PM

Your bike is a twin, which has more abrupt engine braking when you let off the throttle than something like an an inline four engine. It will also be more abrupt than smaller sized twins like 250s, for example.
It's probably normal and you're just not used to it. Changing to taller gearing can help this if it really bothers you...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:39 PM

cush drive

I'm not sure but I think you are noticing the cush drive at the rear wheel. The mounting hub for the rear sprocket has a rubber cushion between the lugs where it mates to the wheel. It takes some of the shock out of drive-line lash when accelerating but it also gives a slight "bounce" compared to direct drive like with dirt bikes when decelerating.........
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The V too has the same problem on lower gears, as you break in you will get the hang of it.

Ride safe and

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nEvErLoOz View Post
Thanks for your quick answer...

No, I don't mean a noise, I really mean...hum not sure of the correct word to use...a "bump" from the bike...you know a physical move, not only a sound.

An abrupt deceleration thats make me move (a bit) on my seat.

If I release the throttle, instead of a gently deceleration (like we feel when when we release the gaz pedal in a car), what I got instead is an abrupt deceleration first, then a gently deceleration.

It's an engine brake feeling...in fact the engine brake feels a bit "brutal" compare to my previous bike.
If you ride a lot in traffic I understand a change to a 44T rear sprocket or to a 16T front sprocket will make the bike a bit smoother. You will lose some instant acceleration but also solve your problem.

If you check for other threads about 44T or 16T you will discover what others have done.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:50 PM

Try an aftermarket pipe. After I fitted my Cowley (locally made in South Africa) I found the engine braking much better and smoother
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versysBKK View Post
If you ride a lot in traffic I understand a change to a 44T rear sprocket or to a 16T front sprocket will make the bike a bit smoother. You will lose some instant acceleration but also solve your problem.
If you check for other threads about 44T or 16T you will discover what others have done.
I just changed over to a 43T, and it makes a WORLD of difference; the deceleration is much smoother in every gear, almost like putting on a flywheel (if that were even possible). It also smooths out upshifting as well. I highly recommend it!

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC
09 Versys "Blue Belle' - the aerodynamic blue color...
Way too much of Speedy's stuff...

CalSci windscreen / Emgo MkII mirrors / 43T rear / EB 12v outlet
Givi E52 top case / V35 side cases / Vista Cruise
Oxford Hothands / Cramp Buster
Powermadd handguards / mirror extenders

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 08:50 AM

Garage
Front suspension bind ?

LOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode