• 1 Post By MaverickAus
  • 1 Post By oldgoodnews
  • 2 Post By invader
  • 1 Post By MaverickAus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
V won't start(no fuel pump prime)

I bought a used V'09 with 11K miles. It had clip-on bars installed and I've put the original bar back on. After this seemingly simple change it won't start. After long debug I determined:
1. Fuel pump is not priming(no sound on start up). I confirmed that fuel pump is working by applying 12V directly to fuel pump.
2. Relay box is OK, but Fuel pump relay is not actuated by the ECU for 3 seconds. I checked Relay box per the manual.
3. There is no active FI and I tested ECU's ability to detect FIs by disconnecting various sensors and confirming that it throws the code.
4. I checked ECU power supply and Ground per the manual.

Some observations.
1. While debugging I took the tank off and then put it back on. This seem to have fixed it for several times, but then it won't start again.
2. I observed that sometimes I could fix the problem by disconnecting the cable from the kill and then reconnecting it again. This trick worked several times but is no longer working.

At this point I cannot start a bike.

I'm starting to think that something is broken in ECU, but I'm not convinced. I feel like it is some intermittent connection, but I'm out of ideas besides trying to replace an ECU.

Help please!!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 04:08 AM

Garage
Changed handlebars, only thing I would think is kill switch contacts / wiring / connector.
kohburn likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
id WD40 the hell out of your switches and blow them out with an air compressor and check all your conections to make sure there tight and no gunk or corrosion

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 06:50 AM

LIke others have said, I cant believe it to be an ECU. Seems YOU created the problem with your actions by removing the bars,e tc, so it should be related to that in some way.. Connectors, switches, grounds?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. I removed the tank again yesterday and started looking at the harnesses. I'll post an update regarding my findings.

I believe I may have pulled on the harness while installing original handlebars because they are much taller then clipons.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

I don't get the battery voltage on the white black wire to the ECU pin 17, but I measure battery voltage on white black wire of the relay box, gauge cluster and Fuse box, so it is broken somewhere in the harness. I don't see any documentation in the manual on how the wires are routed, so I guess the only way is to start untaping it all looking for white black wire.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

After looking at it a bit more I realized that 2007 manual does not match 2009 harness for the ECU. it looks like pin 17 has a different function on 2009. Does anyone have 2009 manual? I can't seem to find it here on the forum. Thanks.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Namely, I'm looking for 2009 wiring diagram. Let me know if anyone has it and can share a pdf.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 04:45 AM

Garage
2007 should be the same as 2009, different countries use different harnesses usually the manual covers all the different ones.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 08:53 AM

i once had a kz11 with a wonky wire in the harness where it goes through the steering stem. motor would fall flat on it's face when turning right at full lock....I'd run a single jumper, one wire at a time till problem is found is my advice. DO NOT puncture wires with a test probe, I've seen more grief after that method than i care to mention.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

I was tracking it in a methodical way until I realized that ECU connector has a different pin out. I need to get a matching wiring diagram for 2009 California Versys before I can continue. Sticky only has 2007 manual, but not 2009. I'll look for a paper manual.
In any case I would greatly appreciate if anyone can post a picture of the 2009 wiring diagram.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Have you checked ALL the ground connections...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

I did check the grounds and omhed out many wires, but i really need to have the proper wiring diagram to make sure I check all of it.

For example, 2007 ECU Power Supply test fails on my bike, but I suspect it is due to functionality change between 07 and 09. ECU connector on 09 has extra wires when compared against 07 diagram and wire colors are in different pin-locations.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Final update. I fixed the problem.

The issue turned out to be inside the ignition switch. Grey wire that goes to pin 41 on the ECU broke of from the soldered down contact. I re-soldered the wire and it all works now. Still not sure what it does, but I think it told ECU to cut the fuel off because ignition is not there. This info should have been in the manual in the Fuel Pump diagram. I also noticed that my FI light now worked properly as before it only worked in diag mode, but now it lights up solid because I had air intake sensor disconnected.

Unfortunately, I took many things(gas tank, ECU, Relay box, untaped many harnesses) of the bike that were not necessary. This grey wire and its behavior is not described anywhere besides a small table on the wiring diagram and even there it does not specify what to expect on this wire. After fixing it I measured about 9V on this wire.

Another interesting finding. 2009 CA specific V wiring diagram is described in the 2010 manual. To this date I could not find 2009 specific manual for my bike, so I will stick to 2010 in the future.

Another observation, bigger connector on ECU on 2007-2008 has 34 pins(according to the manual), but my 2009 CA specific has 26 pins matching the 2010 manual.

I hope this info will help somebody in the future. And again thanks for all your help.
vedranmiljas likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There is a 100 ohm resistor in the switch inline with the grey wire.... 12v current comes in through the white wire and goes out the brown wire (Reg/Rec signal), and the grey wire (ECU signal to activate CDI, fuel pump relay...).
Lours_Polaire and oldgoodnews like this.

Last edited by invader; 11-22-2015 at 06:43 AM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 05:05 PM

Garage
Well done fixing the problem
oldgoodnews likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode