Oil Level - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oil Level

It is pretty hot here and my bike seems to be making more noise than usual when at idle, probably due to the thinner oil!

When I got home after a 40 min trip in the unusual heat, I was too lazy to walk to mail box so I coasted over on the bike.

When idling on the side stand I could see the oil in the sight glass, say 1/2 full.

Question is should you see the oil? Would the oil pump not keep it moving? I ask because I really don't recall seeing oil in the window when idling, and I am getting a little panicky about the louder than norm rattling!

Semi synthetic, 10-W40

12,000Km

Thanks guys

2008 RED Versys
1977 Triumph Bonneville
1967 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 11:51 PM

Hi Stevebee,

I remember seeing the sight glass empty when at idle on her side stand.
At rest or before startups in the morning, how's the sight glass like?

At rest, IMHO, anywhere between Full or min marks on the sight glass is okay.
If the sight glass is seen full, probably too much oil in there.

XXw-50 would serve better in warm weather.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 12:17 AM

Garage
Hi STLee

Don't believe him when he talks about hot weather.

The local bureau of meteorology defines a heatwave for Vancouver as 3 consecutive days of 32C (not quite 90F).

Vancouver has NEVER had an official heat wave - the most has been two days of 32C or more.

The record high was July last year at 34.4C / 94F

I know a lot of places in the US and elsewhere get a lot hotter than that for weeks on end.

In Sydney (Aust) we used to hit 43.4C / 110F (usually accompanied by bushfires / wildfires).

Cheers

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Big Aussie,

I believe I used the words 'unusual heat', because sitting in slow moving traffic my bike was running hot, as was I.

All I asked was it unusual for the oil window to appear full when idling. Maybe due to the 'unusual temp' my oil was thinner, which lets the oil settle easier in the window?

I agree it may not be the hottest here, but I thought it may be relevant to my question to mention the heat.

And as I said, I really do not remember seeing oil in the window at idle when the weather is back at its frigid norm.

Thanks

2008 RED Versys
1977 Triumph Bonneville
1967 Mustang
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 01:29 AM

Man I just Wikipedia British Columbia and the temperatures. That sounds so nice!!! 101-106 so far here (by my car view gauge).

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 01:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Oil can normally be seen flowing behind view glass. Oil does expand when heated, raising the level... Which brand and type of semi-synthetic 10W-40 oil is it, and how many kilometers on it? How's your level on a cold rested engine?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 07:10 AM

It's okay, Bigaussie. Cheers.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Invader,

I don't recall the brand, but it was not the cheap oil from Canadian Tire!

It has about 2000Kms of use, and the sight glass is approx 3/4 full when bike is upright, with engine off.

I am not as concerned now, but I am still surprised on the amount shown in the window when idling.

Thanks again.

2008 RED Versys
1977 Triumph Bonneville
1967 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode