Chain Maintenance Schedule - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Chain Maintenance Schedule

I have searched the site and found much good info on how to adjust the chain, how to align, etc. What I would like to know is how often you adjust your chain; what criteria do you use to decide to adjust and how often do you replace the cotter pin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Section 2-28........

For me on the cotter pin.. Just when needed...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by onewizard; 02-02-2017 at 10:43 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I looked in my manual...chain lube every 400 miles..chain slack every 600 miles...pretty much what I've used..though I may get a bit lazy and go 1K on the slack from time to time...2 to 3 rides for me...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i lift up on the bottom of my chain with my foot after each oiling with WD40 and if its out of spec adjust it if not go on my way

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
1) Oil your chain regularly - more so in rain and dirt riding.
2) Check you chain tension - just lift it midway between the sprockets and measure droop.
3) Check you chain for wear - missing o-ring, deep valleys, pointy or hooked sprocket teeth etc just by spinning the rear wheel and looking

Always do 2 and 3 inspection when oiling.
but the adjustment and changing chain and sprockets is only done when needed.

Oiling 300-500km
adjusting 3-4,000km
replacing 15-30,000km

It all depends on you and the condition you ride in.

Remember: YOU CAN NEVER OVER OIL YOU CHAIN !

as for the cotter pin, use pliers to bend the legs straight. Only need to replace it when the legs brake off from bending then too many times. Don't go and buy Stainless Steel cotter pins - you just need the normal ones and packs of 10 are only a few dollars and will outlast you! My current cotter pin has been taken on and off abut 20 times now in the last year and still OK.
If you are in a bind and it breaks you can use some coat hanger wire until you can replace it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all. Gigitt, that was what I was looking for. Maintenance manuals are good starting points but sometimes it's good to get pragmatic real world experience.

I have adjusted it once at the first oil change and need to do it again (~2,500 km). It seems I need to do it more often than most.

Incidentally, my scribe marks seem to be pretty close checked by straight edge, so I will use them going forward for quick alignments.

Thanks again.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVerde View Post
I have searched the site and found much good info on how to adjust the chain, how to align, etc. What I would like to know is how often you adjust your chain; what criteria do you use to decide to adjust and how often do you replace the cotter pin?
I do NOT bend my cotter pin back around the axle-nut like it came stock. I just spread the ends about 20 to 30 degrees, so they last a long time....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I do NOT bend my cotter pin back around the axle-nut like it came stock. I just spread the ends about 20 to 30 degrees, so they last a long time....
I bend mine around the nut for safety so as not to rip my leg open in a slide.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

GOOD point Giggit.

I've posted this before, but my chain maintenance schedule is: after any ride over 50 miles (80 kms) when I get home and the chain's still warm; AFTER I wash the bike; mid-day on long rides (like up to Alaska), but MORE often if it's raining; and FIRST thing when I pull into a campground.

I use a cut-down crutch and a piece of velcro to hold the front brake ON so it doesn't roll.

I use NOTHING but WD40 on my chains (and the original chain on my '08 was changed-out at 56,901 MILES last spring, and it was NOT worn out at that time!).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

What spools (paddock stand bobbins if you prefer) are you using? Are they considered "mini"?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
What spools (paddock stand bobbins if you prefer) are you using? Are they considered "mini"?
Swingarm Spools

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The spools in those pics of my '09 on the crutch stand are 10mm ones from Harbor-Freight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Those M10 spools won't fit his 2015... What he needs are M8 (8mm) x 1.25 threaded spools.
I have a set of black anodized 8mm aluminum ones I got off Ebay a few weeks ago, for the GREEN HORNET TOO....

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Are you sure? Isn't your green Versys a pre-2015 model? So, what are we getting at here?
Nope, the Green Hornet Too is a '15 650 (see his signature)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode