25k km service - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
25k km service

Hi all
been a while since I was on here last, lost my job, got another.....got a puncture too which was a bummer but they plugged it for 10 euros so I was happy with that.

Anyway, down to business - my question is...I am on 25k kms now and bike is just slightly overdue for a service. I donīt have a service book so not sure what NEEDS doing and what really doesnt need doing even though it might state it in the service book.

The reason I ask is that the bike is my only form of transport , and therefore it is difficult for me getting it serviced as once it is in the garage, I have no way of getting home, getting to work, getting back to pick it up etc etc since I am in work most of the time.

The Kawasaki dealer is about 20kms away and canīt even fit me in until 21st July, so I was going to take it to the garage around the corner from my house, which is only about 200metres. They work Saturdays (which Kawa donīt) and so I can take it in the morning when I am not working and pick it up same day.

However, their idea of a service is change the oil and grease the chain and if it ainīt broke, then why fix it.

So do I need to look out for anything or ask them to do anything whilst it is there?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainy View Post
I donīt have a service book so not sure what NEEDS doing and what really doesnt need doing even though it might state it in the service book.
Start on page 81. This should be a good start.

Good Luck!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 08:31 AM

No problem runing over

at that milage irrepsctive of what the books says, I'd check the valves, particualr the exhaust for tightness. clean Air cleaner, no rust/swelling of coils, Plug/oil/filter change depedning when last done? brake pad condition/thickness. replace brake fluid. Rectifier termainals okay (more a wet climate prob) Once over of wheel/head bearings.

Easy to do yourself, even valve clearances. As I dont trust dealers to any of it!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Good to hear from you spainy, thought you may of just been away watching soccer. Do you have any record or know what servicing that was done on your bike in the past?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spainy View Post
Hi all
been a while since I was on here last, lost my job, got another.....got a puncture too which was a bummer but they plugged it for 10 euros so I was happy with that.

However, their idea of a service is change the oil and grease the chain and if it ainīt broke, then why fix it.

So do I need to look out for anything or ask them to do anything whilst it is there?

Thanks in advance!
Hi Spainy.

Nice to have you back and at 25K , valve clearance check is a must,normal service of air intake filters, spark plug, oil rest if it ain't broke, then why fix it.

Hope to see you regularly here.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm welcome back guys

I tell you, itīs a fantastic time to be living here in Spain at the moment, now that they have made it to the world cup final - for the first time ever. Booy do these Spanish know how to celebrate!
Iīm not even into football and found myself last night with beer in one hand and air horn in the other ,screaming at the TV with the rest of the town.

Anyway, thanks for the input, I mentioned the valves to them and they kind of said they would have a listen and if it sound ok why bother - this is typical Spanish mentality and something you need to accept rather than fight if you want a stressless life here

Kiwi, Im pretty sure its been regularly serviced as I rang Kawa in Malaga and they confirmed it had been last done at 18k kms which is normal.

QUÉ VIVA ESPAŅA!OLÉ OLÉ OLÉ!!A POR ELLLLLOOOOOOS!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
All the best for the world cup final spainy. I think you would be better to take your bike to a bike shop for service rather than just a regular garage even if you had to travel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode