Only 250kms or 155 miles per tank? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Only 250kms or 155 miles per tank?

Hi,

My brand new versys 2015 only has 2500kms or 1550 miles, but Iíve noticed that mine is burning more fuel than other versys and even other higher ccīs models.

Iím getting an AV of 6.5L/100KM. while other versys are getting 5.0 or 5.3. Iím wondering what itís the cause of this fuel consumption?.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

GL - HF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Riding style?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
i always try to get the ECO indicator on, the only thing is that its only riding in City.

GL - HF

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftyler View Post
Riding style?
This is likely, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFRK View Post
i always try to get the ECO indicator on, the only thing is that its only riding in City.
On my '15 650, the ECO indicator is usually ON, but I don't consciously try to get it ON.

Having said that - compared w/ my '08 here in AZ - the '15 is ridden in lower gears when on roads w/ limits below 50 mph, but I've been getting SUBSTANTIALLY better mileage w/ it. By memory - usually high 50s to low 60s mpgUS.

It wouldn't surprise me IF it's because the oxygen sensor makes the FI "closed-loop"....

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
how can i check the oxigen sensor?

GL - HF
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 03:19 PM

I've got 1,200 miles on my '15 and my average MPG is 50.1 so far. Half of that is a couple of long rides and the remainder is mostly country roads and a bit of in-town traffic.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 06:08 PM

Garage
53 US MPG average here
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 01:31 AM

how do you measure your range? do you simply rely on the bike computer?

doing it manually is more accurate i think. mine gives me varied readings as soon as i turn the bike off.

what i do is i fill it up, set the trip meter to zero, then next time i fill up, i divide the total distance travelled, as indicated on the trip meter, with the amount of fuel it needed to get filled up again.

ergo - km/L

Speaks softly, but carries a sidearm...
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 07:33 AM

Garage
Doing the math on the thread title...

250km over a 21 litre tank.. is only 11.9km per litre. What the...?

You haven't seen any rubber hoses lying around nearby have you ?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaMoTe!!! View Post
how do you measure your range? do you simply rely on the bike computer?

doing it manually is more accurate i think. mine gives me varied readings as soon as i turn the bike off.

what i do is i fill it up, set the trip meter to zero, then next time i fill up, i divide the total distance travelled, as indicated on the trip meter, with the amount of fuel it needed to get filled up again.

ergo - km/L
i have relied both ways, with the computer AVG value, and setting the trip counter every time i put gas on it.

i always drive my bike in the lower rpm range 3k to 6k rpms, try to keep the ECO indicator on, so i dont know why im getting this low fuel range

GL - HF
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 09:19 AM

Garage
On my '15 650 I ride about 100 everywhere and get maybe 160 miles to a tank if I'm lucky and ride to the last drop.

When I go full blast to another city (top speed) I get roughly 26mpg.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 10:12 AM

Fill it up into the funnel neck of the gas tank: it's at least a gallon's difference, but it takes more time to fill tank holding spring back and looking in tank (and getting some gas fumes.)
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 12:05 AM

no leaks on the fuel line?

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaMoTe!!! View Post
no leaks on the fuel line?
dont think so, the computer fuel consumption would be lower, and when i park my bike i dont see anything on the floor.

GL - HF
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 06:13 AM

I regularly get 450km (280 miles) before having to fill the tank. At that point it usually takes abt 15 litres (4 US gal) - that is, 6 litres (1.6 US gal) still in the tank. These figures are generalities - they are not accurate and are illustrations only but give you an idea of the economy I get.

I normally get better economy than many people even though it usually doesn't take me any longer to get to where we are going. I'm not consciously trying to save fuel. I seem to get about the same economy either touring or commuting.

Things to check on your economy:-

Don't accelerate very hard and don't jump on the brakes hard. Keep it smooooooth.

Check to make sure that your brakes aren't binding. Get the bike up on a stand and spin the wheels and make sure they are free.

Make sure the chain is correctly tensioned. Its easy to have it too tight and this eats fuel.

Make sure the tuning is good. I don't stuff around with this myself. I get it done by a mechanic I trust. Works for me.

Make sure tyre pressures are correct. Low pressures will also eat fuel.

Hope this helps.

Bruce C
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc6805 View Post
Make sure tyre pressures are correct. Low pressures will also eat fuel.

but what is the correct tire pressure?

i've heard a good number of varying opinion on this. as for me, i go 1 or 2 psi lower than what the manual says.

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 02:47 PM

On my 2015 I avaraged 46.8 MPG yesterday. this was alot of twistys a good mount of throttle at high rpms for the first 100 miles then the next 75 was freeway at 70mph cruising. I still had lots of gas in the tank.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 04:52 PM

I've seen my milage go up the more I rode until it seemed to stabilized at about 5,000 miles. I was getting in the low 40s at first now I'm in the mid to high 50s and every once in awhile I climb into the 60s.

I'd check the air filter and plugs if you bought it used as you don't know how it was stored od looked after. Yes I know it a low mile bike but in planting season here there's so much dust in the air I have to clean filters monthly.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Rode UP Mt Lemmon (gnarly dirt) yesterday, two-up, then home on paved. 54.5 mpgUS.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I've seen my milage go up the more I rode until it seemed to stabilized at about 5,000 miles. I was getting in the low 40s at first now I'm in the mid to high 50s and every once in awhile I climb into the 60s.

I'd check the air filter and plugs if you bought it used as you don't know how it was stored od looked after. Yes I know it a low mile bike but in planting season here there's so much dust in the air I have to clean filters monthly.
thanks! lets see what happens, i bought the bike brand new, and in colombia we dont have winter with snow so we ride our bikes all the year , im going to check the air filter.

GL - HF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode