Water in gas - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Water in gas

Just rode my Versys and it did not run right. Felt like second gear even though it was in first plus some miss-firing.
Found water had filled the gas cap recess. The recess drain is plugged (maybe what people are calling the vent hose?), plus she got rained on yesterday.
So I'm assuming for now that water got past the gas cap and caused the malfunction.
Aside from unplugging the recess drain, draining the tank and maybe putting a bit of injector cleaner in with some fresh gas, is there anything else to be concerned about here? Should I try to do this tonight, rather than wait for the light of day? It ran fine two days ago, before the rain.
Thoughts?

No place like the right time.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 Red Versys, 48k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Do you have access to some methyl hydrate gas line antifreeze in Florida? Add 1 ounce per 3 US gallon to absorb water in gasoline.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Do you have access to some methyl hydrate gas line antifreeze in Florida? Add 1 ounce per 3 US gallon to absorb water in gasoline.
Might that have been called gas dry...or dry gas? Haven't seen that here. Is there a warm region equivalent?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:41 PM

You don't have to drain the whole tank. Water is heavier than gas, so by default most of it is at the lowest point in your tank - where the pump pickup is. That's why it runs like crap, you are running high concentrations of water with every volume of "gas" the pump puts into the engine.

Lift the tank a little, disconnect the fuel line and get a tall container in your hand (I have used a tall plastic cup before). Aim it at the outlet of the pump and turn the ignition on. The pump will "prime" the injectors, pushing the water/gas mixture out into your container. Repeat this several times until you see clear gasoline coming out of the tank. Reconnect everything and go for a ride.

Gustavo

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Sounds good, Gustavo.
Water surely needs to be drained off the bottom, a fair amount went in as I discovered that the cap recess was full of water.
Thanks

Last edited by Fiddleman; 07-01-2010 at 09:26 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Why not simply siphon out the gas from the tank and then do the separation outside , good and save for a one man job , but if you are doing as per Gustavo recommendation, its best get a friend to help for safety reason.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
... disconnect the fuel line and get a tall container ... Aim it at the outlet of the pump and turn the ignition on. The pump will "prime" the injectors, pushing the water/gas mixture out into your container...
Gustavo
I haven’t had the line off myself yet but I was told that it was a dry-break — But you’re saying that the pump pushes through it while it’s disconnected... Is it actually a pressure loaded check valve and not a true dry-break?

Thanks

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~

Last edited by Hardware; 07-02-2010 at 12:41 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The fuel pressure regulator is on the fuel pump in the fuel tank. It pressurizes the fuel rail to 43 psi (idling). Fuel pump operates for 3 seconds when ignition is turned on. 60+ ml (2.029+ oz.) of fuel flows in 3 seconds.
Water contaminated gasoline at bottom of tank can in fact be primed out by fitting a hose on the fuel pump's outlet fitting, and feeding that hose into a container.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
The fuel pressure regulator is on the fuel pump in the fuel tank. It pressurizes the fuel rail to 43 psi (idling). Fuel pump operates for 3 seconds when ignition is turned on. 60+ ml (2.029+ oz.) of fuel flows in 3 seconds.
Water contaminated gasoline at bottom of tank can in fact be primed out by fitting a hose on the fuel pump's outlet fitting, and feeding that hose into a container.
Hats off to you bro.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddleman View Post
Might that have been called gas dry...or dry gas? Haven't seen that here. Is there a warm region equivalent?
Sometimes the simple solution is not so simply if you can't find the stuff.

Just in case:

Methyl Hydrate, also known as Methanol and Wood Alcohol, is used as a fondue fuel, shellac thinner, gas line antifreeze, and, when mixed with water, as a powerful window cleaner.

Some fuel treatment or additives have it in as well.

Florida probably has more boats so any outboard shop will have fuel treatment just ask.
List here

Strangely boats get water in the gas all the time. Wonder why?

Last edited by versysBKK; 07-02-2010 at 08:11 AM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies, was successful at attaching a length of hose to the fuel pump outlet and drawing fuel + water out with the pump as Gustavo suggested. Looks from the manual that the pump filter has a vertical sort of aspect, so it was no surprise to get lots of fuel per small amount of water. There were maybe 5 or so ounces of water in there altogether. I removed about 1.5 gal. of the 2.0 that were in the tank to start. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have siphoned out as much as i could to start. There is still a tiny bit of water in there, thinking to just fill it up and see what happens. Started it up and it seemed to run OK but think I'll go get the gas in a can rather than driving it to the filling station.
I need to decipher the notions regarding ramifications of using water reducing additives with "up to 10%" ethanol gasoline and maybe add something to that first tank.

Thanks to versysBKK for the additive data sheet "list here" link.

Also saw an interesting thread:
http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/...k-options.html

So thanks again and check your filler cap recess drain. It is a tiny hole, easily plugged with tree pollen droppings. The other end of it is that hose by the kickstand.
Will post my findings...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode