How to adjust shifter for smoother... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How to adjust shifter for smoother...

After 300 miles of getting used to the Versys, I would like to adjust the shifter to be smoother. It is pretty notchy and rough to downshift, especially when trying to find neutral. Any advice on how to make the shifter linkage as smooth as butter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Adjust the clutch properly
and grease the rose joints (ball and socket joints) of the adjustable shift link arm,
and maybe grease up the lever housing that is part of the footpeg holder bolt
p327 of service manual for 2010 Versys 650

maybe also try and rev match the engine (blip the throttle) when downshifting before releasing the clutch - man I love doing this into 1st gear over 6000 rpm! wakes some of the cagers up!
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by Gigitt; 10-20-2015 at 02:52 AM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 07:59 AM

the oil you use will also make a difference.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
the oil you use will also make a difference.
AS will just getting some miles on your Versys (bought new?). Synthetic REALLY smooths the shifting!

- -
crosshairs likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Bike currently has 1100 miles on it. I bought used a few days ago but it feels like i have to kick down on the shifter sometimes to downshift and i am always missing neutral and straight to 1st gear when coming at a stop. Then to upshift to neutral is a battle itself
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:15 PM

I almost never go to neutral anyways. at stop lights sitting in neutral gives you no possible escape. when parking sitting in 1st gear is like a parking brake.

I only use neutral if i'm idling it while not sitting on it or if I need both hands for something.

you may be trying to shift into neutral while moving too quickly, the neutral lock out won't generally allow you into neutral above 5mph.
Lours_Polaire likes this.

Last edited by kohburn; 10-20-2015 at 01:18 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 08:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
... you may be trying to shift into neutral while moving too quickly, the neutral lock out won't generally allow you into neutral above 5mph.
Have to disagree on that part (but do agree with the rest)

I occasionaly (~10%) end up in neutral when doing my upshift in full accelaration and way pass 5 mph

Then maybe my bike has something wrong ...

LOP
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 09:12 AM

my bad - the positive neutral finder - really only locks you between 1st and N while stopped.
its just been my generally experience that I've almost never hit neutral when moving fast unless I pull in the clutch and am coasting.

my bike likes to stay in gear, then again I almost never use the clutch except to get moving in 1st gear and when stopping.
Lours_Polaire likes this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 09:32 AM

I use full synthetic like fasteddy,I never use the clutch except for starting and at stops, just like lube in your keyhole, just like butta.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 11:47 AM

It is what it is....mine has ~1500 miles on it now and it is still pretty klunky. Only bike in my 40 years that has made the top of my foot sore in stop and go traffic...and I wear good boots.

Season is getting pretty close to the end for me here, I leave for work at 430, and even on nice 70+ deg days it is still pretty nippy out even with the heated gear.....I will sneak a few rides I am sure in before it gets nasty.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 11:57 AM

its been dropping below 50 for my morning commute this week. if it gets down to around 40 I'll add my rain jacket as the outer layer, makes a surprising difference in comfort at low temps.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 03:31 PM

The Kawasaki transmission is built to prevent you from going from second to neutral while moving.

The rest of you guys are smoother than me. I use the clutch when downshifting and when shifting from first to second.

(And this morning, I tried a clutchless shift from first to second -- the bike went into second gear, and a couple of seconds later it popped into neutral -- just after I had passed a car and I was in the middle of switching lanes in front of him. Somehow my undies remained unsoiled. Good times, good times...)

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 09:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyvsSpy View Post
Bike currently has 1100 miles on it. I bought used a few days ago but it feels like i have to kick down on the shifter sometimes to downshift and i am always missing neutral and straight to 1st gear when coming at a stop. Then to upshift to neutral is a battle itself
Found myself scratching my head on this one - Best 'Roadcraft' (love that UK term) practice is for riders to be in 1st gear at ALL stops to preserve their option to scoot, if necessary. Make sense? So that shift issue would always be from 1st to N, given a 6000 lb SUV stopped behind you, blocking any rear traffic collision potential
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVA_LitreBike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyvsSpy View Post
Found myself scratching my head on this one - Best 'Roadcraft' (love that UK term) practice is for riders to be in 1st gear at ALL stops to preserve their option to scoot, if necessary. Make sense? So that shift issue would always be from 1st to N, given a 6000 lb SUV stopped behind you, blocking any rear traffic collision potential
I understand everybody has their own way of riding and I appreciate insight on how to ride. Does the shifter get better with mileage or are Versys shifters just clunky? My GSXR750 was smooth and had no issue downshifting to neutral. BTW, I put another 125 miles today with the solo day ride to Medina Lake (lots of backroad twisties) and a night ride around San Antonio(it was windy tonight). I still am not used to that shifter...
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Cleaning and greasing it at the main pivot be removing the footpeg mount helps a lot... I also lengthened my shift lever by about 10mm, as it was too short for size 12 riding boots. I welded on a Moose Racing knurled aluminum folding tip while I was at it. It's perfect now.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 08:47 AM

Googling "Moose Racing knurled aluminum folding tip" ...

What's the folding tip for? To keep the lever from breaking in a drop or crash?

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 10:29 AM

did you do a folding brake pedal lever to match?
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
Googling "Moose Racing knurled aluminum folding tip" ...

What's the folding tip for? To keep the lever from breaking in a drop or crash?
yes, one of the reasons the pegs fold. a common thing to have to fix after a drop is the brake pedal or shift lever as they can get bent.
they can also get hung up on rocks and vegetation if you do much off road so its real common for dirt bikes.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The knurled aluminum tip is also much better than the stock sharp tip end and weak ribbed rubber sleeve.... Rear brake lever is still stock. It can be easily straightened if needed, but the shift lever is a more critical and delicate component.

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 09:57 AM

Invader is your bike in your front room? I see carpet. My wife always gets pissed when she comes home from work and finds me working on my bike in the front room! Nice pegs and shifter, fasteddy posted some picks of his pegs that look similar, I believe he said amazon or e-bay. where did you get yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode