Speedo/Tach Housing - Source of BUZZZZZ - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Speedo/Tach Housing - Source of BUZZZZZ

After riding around for the first 1200 miles with an invisible 400 pound mosquito I decided to investigate the annoying buzzzzz coming from the front of the V.
First I removed the side cowlings, the plastic panel surrounding the instrument cluster, (which is the same piece with the tab that slides in above the headlight, that is supposedly one of the culprits).
I started the bike and revved it to 4000-4200 rpms and the buzz hadn't changed....
It was coming from the speedo/tach housing. It appears to be a 2 piece (top/bottom) assembly and if I squeezed the housing top to bottom the noise dissapeared.
I didn't want to disassemble the housing nor did I want to strip the screws on the back of it trying to see if tightening would help to reduce the racket but it seems a proper fix would entail Kawasaki internally installing a rubber seal/gasket between the top and bottom of the instrument cluster to permanently take care of the problem.

For now, I put 1/4 inch closed cell foam w/adhesive backing around the speedo/tach housing where it meets the plastic surround, as well as putting a small piece on the front tab above the headlight and although there is still a slight buzz around 4k it seems to be much better.

With any luck Kawi will address this soon and we can enjoy a buzzless ride.

Cheers,
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Versys Tach:Speedo.JPG (500.6 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by jescycle; 07-31-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode