Water pump leak - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Water pump leak

Add one more to the water pump leak pile.....3 weeks old, 222 miles.

Dealer says it will take about a week to get parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Hope its under warranty and just wait it out.

You will enjoy the bike and yours must be one of those rare cases.

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 10:23 AM

I just had to re-torque the cover, and it has not leaked since.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 10:44 AM

i didn't know there was a water pump problem. Where exactly is it leaking from?
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 04:49 PM

Mine was leaking from the weep hole, repaired under warranty........still OK at 14K miles.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

same here...leaking from weep hole just a tiny bit. Service guy called me this afternoon and said it was just the impeller shaft seal and they are replacing it.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 10:53 PM

Exclamation 2010 Kawasaki Versys Water Pump Leak

My 2010 Versys had and still has a leaking water pump straight out of the dealership! Road it for a bit to determine how bad the leak was. It was just a small leak out of the weeper hole. This is a known problem amongst the 650 Parallel twins from Kawasaki, which also affects their Ninja's. It's the same engine, just a different gear ratio. But, you'll get people on here trying to tell those of us which it affects, that we are rare cases. I laugh every time I read that crap.

I took my bike back to the dealer and they changed the mechanical seal, oil seal, and all the o-rings for the pump. Picked it up, and came home. Got up the next morning, and the water pump still leaks!!! I have to take it back to the dealer again now for the same repair. I called Kawasaki directly, and they were pretty much assholes about the whole issue. They stated it normally took the seals about 100-miles to seal up, and then they would be fine after that. Well, I can tell you first hand, ...that's a bunch of crap based on my current mileage on the bike.

Kind of made me wish I would have just bought Ducati's Multistrada instead. But, getting the Versys at nearly half the price of the Ducati; $7,300 cash OTD (Out the Door - tax, tags, & all), I just couldn't say no to the purchase. I will say that I am VERY happy with the bike. I just hope to get this damn leaky ass water pump resolved soon! If anyone from Kawasaki is listening, my VIN is 000880. I got one of the first 1,000 off the production line. And guess what, ...the damn water pump is defective!

Last edited by TommyLee; 12-19-2010 at 10:55 PM.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 05:29 AM

probably will settle down, do my other bikes every 20k or so, often will weep for a few miles then stop.

Other thing is to check no corroision on the impellor shaft?, and also, if the mech didnt use a thin platcic bag or something to slide shaft over the seal, can damage lip. Finally, not checked but most impellor bolt have a seal of some kind? Often its that that weeps. as if seal goes itself, pisses out rather than weeps.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 02:24 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply 133bhp. I actually didn't fool with taking the bike back to the dealer initially for the water pump until the bike needed it's 600-mile service. I took care of the service myself, and then took the bike in for the water pump problem at just over 700-miles to be handled under warranty. The dealer wanted to keep the bike for a week while they ordered the parts, but I ride every day. It's my primary transportation. So after some initial head banging, they ordered all the parts ahead of time. When the parts came in, I dropped the bike off, and they did the work the same day. After I called them back the next morning, they wanted to keep the bike for a week to re-order the parts and do it all again. I told them it would have to wait until I had time, and that I would just keep an eye on the leak, and make sure my coolant stayed topped off in the reserve tank. After I put roughly another 1,000 miles on the bike, ...that's when I called Kawasaki. I gave them the whole story, and they tried to tell me it was normal until the bike had been ridden about a hundred miles for the seals to seat. When I told them I had put on over a thousand since the repair, and it still leaked, they got all pissy about the whole ordeal. Then I jumped on their facebook page to talk to other riders about it, and they shut me down and blacklisted my ass! ...hahaha

Anyway, I now have roughly 4,000 miles on her, and she still leaks. I'm stuck looking for a window of time that I can be without her for a week. Problem is, riding is like a drug to me. And I'm a full fledged junky when it comes to my bike

But, when I do make it in, ...probably early January, I'll make sure to make notes of all the advice I've received including yours to pass on to their mechanic's. Thanks again!
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

It's definitely a known Kawi issue. Mine was still leaking after 200 miles. When I took it back to the dealer I checked the other 650's as well as KLR's on the floor. They all were weeping. My brother bought a KLR about a month ago. It also leaks. We took it to his dealer for warranty. Same deal with the bikes on that guys showroom floor.

Quote:
They stated it normally took the seals about 100-miles to seal up, and then they would be fine after that
I call bull**** on this one. I've been around bikes my whole life and never have I seen this type of issue as a "common" thing.

Quote:
I'm stuck looking for a window of time that I can be without her for a week.
Do yourself a favor. Order the parts and do it yourself. You're going to find the dealer saying "We have never changed that seal before so we don't stock the parts. We'll call you when it's ready in about 2 weeks." Trust me, that's what they're going to tell you.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:31 AM

Mine leaks

Mine also got this kind of problem. My versys cloaked 18k kms and leaks. Engine oil were leaks thru the hole. Send for repairs but Kawasaki Malaysia refused to covered it under warranty since they stated the oil seals and gaskets were under wear and tear category. Sigh....

Then they found out that radiator cap also got problem. Also stated it was not covered under warranty... I saw on the other post that Kawasaki or dealers replaced the cap under warranty...
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cengitu View Post
Mine also got this kind of problem. My versys cloaked 18k kms and leaks. Engine oil were leaks thru the hole. Send for repairs but Kawasaki Malaysia refused to covered it under warranty since they stated the oil seals and gaskets were under wear and tear category. Sigh....

the oil seal is simple/cheap to do as well. Nifty design means dont even have to remove the crankcase cover as on a lot of engines. I'd change both the mech and oil seal whilst there. Use a suitable socket to gently drive it in, smear of threebond etc on outer seal is a good idea. Before renenwing seal, check no pits or corrosion on shaft? Can fill with expoxy/carefully polish with emery paper etc if need be.

ps. previous post, meant if those having persistent problems? check the shaft/seal not damaged. From new? either never put in peoperly. or single dowel not locating the cover centroid over the seal? Few leaks in UK I;ve heard of though?
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 09:59 PM

this is what Kawasaki Malaysia done to fix it...

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 02:55 AM

Exclamation Water pump continues to leak

So, I've taken my 2010 Versys into the dealership to have my leaking water pump repaired twice now under warranty. For both repairs, they replaced the mechanical seal, oil seal, and all of the o-rings, and the water pump still leaks

Now, they want to replace the balancer just to see if that will resolve the leak. Of course it is all covered under warranty. But, how am I suppose to trust a dealership with two failed water pump repairs under their belt, with the task of disassembling and reassembling my new engine to change the balancer.

The most f**ked part of it all, is that even though Kawasaki is approving the repairs under warranty, they still claim that they have no problems with leaking water pumps on any of the parallel twin 650 motors found in the Versys, ER-R6, or Ninja 650

I get all my gear from:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 Kawasaki Versys - U.S. Caly Edition - Mod's to date:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Two Brothers Black Series Exhaust - Two Brothers Juice Box Pro
Evo-Tech Radiator Guard & Tail Tidy - MoTrax Tank Protector
Ermax Rear Hugger & Flip Up Screen
Barkbusters Hand Guards - Avon SB Contour Grips
Nelson Rigg CL-400 Tank Bag - CL-900 Saddlebags - CL-150 Tail Trunk
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Water pump does turn with the balancer shaft. It could be checked for excess runout with a dial gauge. Maybe the shaft's surface just needs to be polished for proper sealing.

Last edited by invader; 03-04-2011 at 03:12 AM.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 10:20 AM

Question- were you seeing the actual leak or could you just smell the distinct burned/dried antifreeze smell. I looked for any dried white residue but have not found anything. I got off my bike yesterday and could have sworn I smelled something, but not today though. it might have been the car next to me. not sure at this point.

Thoughts?
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 12:26 PM

Mine too. I smelled it, but couldn't see it.
Take of the lower, right side panel and you will see it clearly.
I'm taking mine in next week.

Vulcan 1700 Classic

post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 12:42 PM

Yeah, mine has weeped a tad. I'm just keeping an eye on, mostly ingnore it. Nothing on the ground, just a little dried coolant on the bottom of the housing. I thought maybe it was from removing the bolts to remove the lower fairing mounting bracket. Gave the bolts a little cinch to make sure that wasn't the cause.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 09:27 PM

^^
Same here. I can blot a drop from the weep hole after a ride, but never any thing on the ground. Just dried stuff on the housing.
I guess I'll take it to the dealer to fix, but the aggravation & time down almost don't seem worth it.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 12:34 AM

Mine seeped pretty good the first 50-70 miles ... It has 190 on it now and I get very very little seep out if any...

I called a good friend who worked for Yamaha factory for 25 years and it is very common for a ceramic seal to seep until worn-in.

the only thing he did NOT believe was that this was a common failure ... He spoke of the fact that since it is a porous surface, and if the bike sits for a long time, it tends to seep at times. which explains why the dealership floor models seep.

Who knows, with the vibration these things have, maybe the shaft of the impeller has a certain harmonic in some bikes that allow it to break-through and seep ...

It would be interesting to see if a few of us did the repair ourselves and were to polish the shaft, back of impeller, and use a DIFFERENT coolant. Ethelyne glycol is a form of solvent (an alcohol product) and solvents can shrink seals, unless they have included a seal conditioner like an ester-based fluid ...

I like the Honda Automotive coolant that is blue... long life ... and it is very good stuff ... use it in all my replacement fills on all my toys... Silicate, borate, and amine free ...

Or even some Dex-cool after a thorough flush ...

I will report back when I get another hundred miles ... Bottom line is, I WILL find some combination that works ... stay tuned

2008 Suzuki B-King ABS (smithabusa interface, ecuEditor, Reflashed/DeLimited, Scorpion Exhaust)
2011 V-Star 950 Touring Candy Red
2008 Kawi Brute Force 650 (HMF Full Exhaust, Twin-Air Kit, Dyna Ignition, My Jetting, and a few FST Parts

2008 Honda TRX250EX White(rejetted with UNI filter) fer the kid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode