• 1 Post By MaverickAus
  • 1 Post By rayj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Gauge Cluster Wiring

Morning All,
Trying to wire in a cheap aftermarket gear indicator, planning to "t" into the wiring behind the instrument cluster.

Need help in identifying wires, any help in color reference for an 08 greatly appreciated - please use small words - I'm electrically disadvantaged!

Ground - think this is Black with Yellow Strip
Switched 12V Positive -
Tach Pulse - ???
Speedo Pulse - ???
Neutral Light - ???

TIA, Glen

Glen 08 Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Glen - is this what you need...?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Perfect, many thanks

Glen 08 Red

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
OK, CheapA$$ eBay Chinese gear indicator fitting and calibrated.

Tried to wire using clamp type electrical fittings - not successful, so had to re-do, stripping and soldering.

Would have been done in half the time if I wasn't such a dumba$$, had to check and redo wiring twice!

But job done now. Works on stand, heavens opened just as I finished up, so haven't done a road trial yet, but feeling confident.

Would post photos, but that technical ability is above my pay grade on this site - why that is so difficult is the topic of a separate post!?!?!?

Glen 08 Red

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by millarg View Post
Would post photos, but that technical ability is above my pay grade on this site - why that is so difficult is the topic of a separate post!?!?!?
this is how i do it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled1.jpg (13.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled2.jpg (19.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled3.jpg (20.0 KB, 57 views)
millarg likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Let there be light? (and colors )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KawaPost1.jpg (218.9 KB, 46 views)

Glen 08 Red

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Gear indicator, fitted and working. Tends to be a slight delay and occasionally gets confused, but sorts itself out fairly quickly.

As a novice rider, I found it very useful on todays ride, I know a lot of people have mentioned that they tend to be searching for 7th, since I rarely make it to 6th (windy, hilly roads, with few long stretches) my problem was dropping into 1st (thinking it was 2nd) and locking the back wheel.

I also have a tendency to be in too high (or is it low) a gear, so I'm bogging the engine down.

Anyways, pleased with install and operation, it is bright and visible during the day, with an autodim for night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VersysGauges.jpg (150.2 KB, 101 views)

Glen 08 Red

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Well done...

all that pain and suffering to save a few dollars.
I've been there...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Gear indicator, fitted and working. Tends to be a slight delay and occasionally gets confused, but sorts itself out fairly quickly.

As a novice rider, I found it very useful on todays ride, I know a lot of people have mentioned that they tend to be searching for 7th, since I rarely make it to 6th (windy, hilly roads, with few long stretches) my problem was dropping into 1st (thinking it was 2nd) and locking the back wheel.

I also have a tendency to be in too high (or is it low) a gear, so I'm bogging the engine down.

Anyways, pleased with install and operation, it is bright and visible during the day, with an autodim for night.
high, and good job looks nice and clean

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
... my problem was dropping into 1st (thinking it was 2nd) and locking the back wheel....
Try to get into the habit of letting the clutch lever return SLOWER in the lower gears to obviate locking the wheel (this is the reason some bikes have 'slipper clutches').

Quote:
...I also have a tendency to be in too high (or is it low) a gear, so I'm bogging the engine down....
TOO high. Again - 'first aid' would be to 'slip' the clutch a bit till you're under way in whatever gear.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Fit a front 16T sprocket... this will make 1st gear usable.
stock 15T sprocket make it feel like a dirt bike!

always try and rev match when down shifting into 2nd and 1st and yes... release the clutch with a slip not a jerk
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 06:58 AM

Garage
Oe fit a slipper
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Or fit a slipper
Just try hard to avoid the "glass" slippers - they didn't work well initially for Cinderella....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Eddie, back on 10/18/15 you commented to Millarg about the Gauge Cluster Wiring for hooking up a cheap gear indicator and showed the excerpt from the manual. I was thinking about getting an indicator, and from viewing the pictures, it looks like there are numerous wires to be connected. Can you briefly tell me what gets wired to what? I just had the cluster removed recently when attempting to do the buzz elimination by inserting the cut pieces of straw into the two push-in toggle switches, and now have the confidence to go back in do work in that area. Thanks.

I saw the instructions from one of the sites selling these, but could not figure out what they were referring to for sensor cable 1 and 2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gear indicator instructions.JPG (32.9 KB, 27 views)

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)

Last edited by rayj; 02-18-2016 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Added more explanation
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
Eddie, back on 10/18/15 you commented to Millarg about the Gauge Cluster Wiring for hooking up a cheap gear indicator and showed the excerpt from the manual. I was thinking about getting an indicator, and from viewing the pictures, it looks like there are numerous wires to be connected. Can you briefly tell me what gets wired to what? I just had the cluster removed recently when attempting to do the buzz elimination by inserting the cut pieces of straw into the two push-in toggle switches, and now have the confidence to go back in do work in that area. Thanks.

I saw the instructions from one of the sites selling these, but could not figure out what they were referring to for sensor cable 1 and 2.
Sorry Ray - all I did was to show a page from my SERVICE MANUAL, but I have NOT done anything in there.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 12:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Tried to wire using clamp type electrical fittings - not successful, so had to re-do, stripping and soldering.
Next time instead of those crap crimp connectors, or soldering try these.

Posi-Tap- No Crimp Tap
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 02:42 PM

No problem. I figured you were out for a long ride in the Arizona sun since we didn't here back from you right away. I'm riding tomorrow here in Cincinnati.

rayj
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Next time instead of those crap crimp connectors, or soldering try these.

Posi-Tap- No Crimp Tap
+1 on the posi-tap products. I could not find any at the national auto chains or Wally World here in Cincinnati, so went to the web and had an assortment in a couple of days for just a few bucks.
aboyandhisversys likes this.

rayj
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 08:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
+1 on the posi-tap products. I could not find any at the national auto chains or Wally World here in Cincinnati, so went to the web and had an assortment in a couple of days for just a few bucks.
Yeah can't buy them here either ebay works for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode