Replaced Front Springs - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Replaced Front Springs

I just installed a set of Sonic .80 kg/mm springs. Oil is a 5wt. I do believe I like the change. I weigh about 160 lbs and carry no passengers. I set the preload at half way. The initial harshness of bumps and potholes has been eliminated.

I went with Gustavo's writeup for the front springs, it was a godsend. Just a note, however, the washers shipped with the shocks still have holes too small for the lock nut. I did find out that before compressing the spring, the pump rod could be pulled out so that the lock nut was above the spring, I removed the nut installed the spacers and then replaced the nut, It actually made the compression step easier.

Now the rear spring stiffness is more evident.

Can someone point me in the right direction for researching rear shock replacements and how to determine spring rates?

thanks,
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 08:40 AM

For the rear shock, have you tried dialing out all the rebound damping? When I did that to mine, it helped quite a bit. But, I've noticed that I am only using half my rear shock travel, due to the stiff spring. I may replace the spring with a softer one one day.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Yes, but I'm like you I use very little of my rear shock travel

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 03:04 PM

Paul - glad to read that the write up helped.

The rear spring is a 900lb/in spring. For your weight, it should probably be set at the second preload setting (1 being the min) to get the right sag. If you have that set to the right range, and still feel it's too stiff, you may indeed want a softer spring.

If you search the forum there was a thread about an Elka group buy. I bought one of those, but I am hesitant to recommend it. The quality is very good, it's very nicely made, but their customer service left a lot to be desired. Somehow it seems all shocks were shipped with a 1000 lbs/in spring, which obviously didn't work for those of us that are below 180-200 lbs as well as it did for the heavier riders. It took 4 weeks to turn around the order for a simple spring change, the shipping was done the day before I left on a trip, after repeated calls and e-mails, let's just say I wasn't very happy to have to install it the night before hitting the road. I had them change it to a 900 lbs/in spring and it works well for me (I weigh a bit less than you do) but I specified a firm and composed ride vs, a plush one other people like. If you like it more plush than firm, an 800-825 lbs/in spring would probably work better for you.

Other shock manufacturers I have used before with good results are Wilbers, Penske and O'hlins.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 03:48 PM
naz

in my opinion ohlins and white power produces the best suspensions.if you seek the absolute solution you should seek the brands above.the cost of course is in complete analogy ...
from my experience i think versys suspension is very decent ,more decent than i thought to be before i buy the bike.the disappointment came from other parts like the rear brake and the warped discs...off topic .
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Gustavo, thanks for the comments. I installed the lowering link on the rear shock. Do you think that some of the stiffness could be attributed to the altered attachment point of the shock? I have it adjusted on the 1 up from the softest preload. I will vary my rebound and see I can feel a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode