Need Help w Stebel Horn - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Need Help w Stebel Horn

Hello again V Crew...

I need some guidance.

I have finally gotten some free time in between helping my mom clean out her basement (man o man...) and was really looking forward to finally getting to work on my bike. First up was the new Stebel I purchased from Bikers Hiway.

I followed the instructions for all the connections and decided to do a test beep (blast) prior to bolting anything on. Upon hitting the horn switch however, I got only the whirring from the compressor but no horn sound whatsoever. I double checked all the connections and still got the same result.

My thoughts are that if I'm getting power to the compressor, the wiring is correct. Did I miss something or did the monkeys at BikerHiway send me a defective piece of equipment?

Thanks, as always, for your help.

Mitch
"Freshman at Farkle high"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 12:49 PM

Have you tried reversing the wires?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Ok.. apparently I am part monkey. I thought I had tried it both ways but have just successfully scared the crap out of my mailman. Thanks Jake!

Mitch

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeyatch69 View Post
Ok.. apparently I am part monkey. I thought I had tried it both ways but have just successfully scared the crap out of my mailman. Thanks Jake!

Mitch
... and - your ears STILL ringing...?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 03:52 PM

Mitch, just to be sure, you did install a horn relay and associated wiring for your Stebel, right? You won't get maximum sound and you may melt your stock wiring if you simply swap out the OEM horn for the Stebel which draws much more current. Your OEM switch should trigger the horn relay, not the Stebel horn itself.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 04:51 PM

Did you mount it under a fairing or where the oem one was? Mine should be ariving today or tomorrow from TT!!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack425 View Post
Did you mount it under a fairing or where the oem one was? Mine should be ariving today or tomorrow from TT!!
I'm interested in mounting my horn under the left fairing like many others have but at the moment I'm doing all my bike work uncovered in my mom's front yard (wishing for days gone by when i had a nice Garage in FL!). To keep things as simple as possible (and avoid getting rained on) i went with the stock mount point.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Mitch, just to be sure, you did install a horn relay and associated wiring for your Stebel, right? You won't get maximum sound and you may melt your stock wiring if you simply swap out the OEM horn for the Stebel which draws much more current. Your OEM switch should trigger the horn relay, not the Stebel horn itself.
Yep.. I did lotsa reading prior to making my purchase and based on the advice of the wise folks here at the V forum, bought the plug and play wiring kit that includes the relay and all the extras needed. I appreciate the double check tho as I'm only just starting out in what I hope is a long journey of tinkering with my bike. I'm sure to learn a few more things the hard way and anything I can learn the easy way is certainly appreciated!!

Thanks much!

Mitch
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 06:01 PM

I don't understand this mounting under the fairing. Who wants to honk at their fairing?

Sound is directional folks. Your horn may sound loud when on the bike honking it, but stand 30 feet in front of the bike and honk it, then compare to one that is mounted correctly. Pointed in the direction of what you want to honk at is the correct mounting position.
Mounted this way, I suspect that standing in front of the bike, 30 feet away, the sound level isn't much if any different than the original.

Mine has been mounted in place of the stock one, and was mounted the same way on my previous bike. Water isn't going to hurt this thing.
I just returned from a 4900 mile ride where I rode in rain for 6 days through the US and Canada. Guess what? My horn still works. If it quits, I'll buy another. My safety is more important than the price of a replacement horn.

Mount it where you want, but understand that you are not getting the maximum performance from it.

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscott View Post
I don't understand this mounting under the fairing. Who wants to honk at their fairing?

Sound is directional folks. Your horn may sound loud when on the bike honking it, but stand 30 feet in front of the bike and honk it, then compare to one that is mounted correctly. Pointed in the direction of what you want to honk at is the correct mounting position.
Mounted this way, I suspect that standing in front of the bike, 30 feet away, the sound level isn't much if any different than the original.

Mine has been mounted in place of the stock one, and was mounted the same way on my previous bike. Water isn't going to hurt this thing.
I just returned from a 4900 mile ride where I rode in rain for 6 days through the US and Canada. Guess what? My horn still works. If it quits, I'll buy another. My safety is more important than the price of a replacement horn.

Mount it where you want, but understand that you are not getting the maximum performance from it.
Just a question of semantics...have you actually heard it mounted under fairing? I and my son have heard it both ways....We both agree there is no difference that is in any way noticeable. Its not like it's sealed in the fairing. It's totally open, but most importantly...out of direct line of water, rocks, salt and other mung and drool that our roads can dish out. And on top of the fact it looks out of place and ugly up front IMHO. I think the extra time spent making the bracket is worth it in the long run.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.

Last edited by StonedGP; 06-28-2010 at 06:59 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeyatch69 View Post

Mitch
No problem, i always asume that if something isn't working its my screw up and not theirs.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedGP View Post
Its not like it's sealed in the fairing. It's totally open, but most importantly...out of direct line of water, rocks, salt and other mung and drool that our roads can dish out.
Yeah, I guess those Kawasaki engineers must not be too smart, mounting the original horn down there, pointing forward when they could have mounted it up there behind the fairing...

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, I guess those Kawasaki engineers must not be too smart, mounting the original horn down there, pointing forward when they could have mounted it up there behind the fairing...
+10. I mount where there is a free way for sound to travel.
To me its safety and not look. If its get burned, get another one.

My aoogar horn. sure get attention from normal horns.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 01:15 AM

A stebel Nautilus has plenty of dB to go around
the OEM horn doens't have the same dB output, its subjective but when pn a rideout last year various horns were fired off the OEM horn was by far the queitest weedist and less distinctive.
Stebel do explicitly warn about water ingress into the horn.

still if you are happy with your installation thats fine by me... what ever floats your boat
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:

I was worried about water getting in, but I mounted it in the stock location after realizing that the sound would just bounce around in the fender.... That is LOUD on the highway even!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
BELIEVE me - even behind the left fairing on my "V" (and behind the coolant overflow tank on my KLR which is UNDER the gas tank), car drivers that are "asleep at the switch" and coming into my lane have almost rolled their cars getting out of the way of what sounds like a Kenworth or Peterbuilt truck when I honk my Stebel or WOLO Bad Boy (BOTH sound the same)!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
horn, problem, stebel, troubleshooting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode