Tachometer acting weird (random RPMs) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Tachometer acting weird (random RPMs)

Hi,

this is my third post - ive had my Versys for about two months now and i already have a problem...

My tacho is acting weird and is showing random RPMs. Sometimes it shows the right data, but most of the time it oscillates and is doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/2zck0O9Vj-w

No Video

I tried to disassemble the bike to check for any loose wires etc. but couldn't find any source of problem (visible). I took the tacho apart and saw no problem.

Any idea what might be the problem?

Kawasaki Versys 650 (2007)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 09:44 AM

Can't see the video. Does the bike run fine? I mean, can you notice any surging in the engine itself?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 11:27 AM

Does the rpm sound stable but the indication on the tachometer go up and down by just a small bit (normal) or by huge margins (abnormal)??? I cant see the video either.

Last edited by Berty77; 10-04-2015 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Spelling

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 04:44 PM

Garage
Fix your video link and we will try to help
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Fix your video link and we will try to help
Specifically, the video is private, make it public.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry - the video is Public now.

The engine itself runs OK - its just the tacho acting crazy.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The engine doesn't sound too good, almost like it's running on just one cylinder... How many kilometers are on it, and has any maintenance been done? Have you checked your spark plugs and ignition coils, valve clearances and throttle body vacuum synch? Check also if you pinched any crankshaft sensor wire down on the right when you installed your crash bars. Your subthrottle servo motor is also acting strangely when you turn ignition on.

Last edited by invader; 10-05-2015 at 01:45 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
poor versys.
you should just buy a 2015 model

something is definitely wrong with your cluster.

have you looked for kinks and bad bends in the wiring around the steering as the wiring gets clamped to the side of the steering head buy wire guides.

did you check for rubbing and exposed cables that is the protextive black wrap is chaffed.
You have a Mk1, and should be the same, the wiring comes down the LHS of steering and LHS top rail under tank, then makes a 90 deg turn under the rear tank support then another 90 deg turn down the RHS mid section and then back to the ECU.

Potential chaff points are steering neck, and both 90 bends under the rear tank support - the support has sharp edges.
another point is where the wiring goes under the mid section frame cross bar at back of battery and into the rear under seat area.

I would be also pulling the ECU and re-seating the harness a few times... i don't know if it is easier on a Mk1, but on a Mk2 you have to rip the whole back end apart and remove the rear under tray to get that damn ECU out! No way you can just get in there and unclip the harness... it must be freed!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
The engine doesn't sound too good, almost like it's running on just one cylinder... How many kilometers are on it, and has any maintenance been done? Have you checked your spark plugs and ignition coils, valve clearances and throttle body vacuum synch? Check also if you pinched any crankshaft sensor wire down on the right when you installed your crash bars. Your subthrottle servo motor is also acting strangely when you turn ignition on.
I didn't notice anything wrong with the engine - but this is my first bike and i have no comparison. It has 40.000 km and i didn't do any maintenance after buying it (other than installing the crash bars).

I've been riding it like this for about a week...

I guess i will get the bike checked by professionals...

Quote:
you should just buy a 2015 model
I would if i had the money for it

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
hmmm forgot to add... Mk1 with 40k... check you earth points. unbolt and clean the contact surface areas.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 12:56 PM

Your speedo/tachometer is broken, you need a new one. The needle should always go back to 0, and in your case it is stuck somewhere else.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 03:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Your subthrottle servo motor is also acting strangely when you turn ignition on.
Agree with invader on this I think you have other problems which may be more important than just the tach acting up. Not quite sure where to start perhaps start with the battery condition and then move on to fuses, damaged wiring.
Also like invader said it sounds like the motor isn't right perhaps the valves need checking. I'm thinking sell it and get something else?

Last edited by MaverickAus; 10-05-2015 at 03:15 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you all for replies!

I will get the bike checked by official dealer and then i will see what to do next (depending on the price of the repair).

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 09:07 AM

Don't waste your time and money with the dealership. There is nothing repairable in the tachometer, so they will have to replace it and a new one is pretty expensive! The part number of the tacho/speedo is 28011-0063, it is €487!!!

Here is a NEW one for "just" €160, and it is the correct A7F European one:

GENUINE KAWASAKI KLE650 A7F VERSYS METER/TACHO LCD | eBay
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Start by checking everything yourself, since you can't tell if any maintenance was ever done.... Did you install the crashbars you said you were ordering? Check your crankshaft sensor wires down on the right, and make sure they're not pinched or damaged. Inspect main wire harness from the ignition switch and at the instrument cluster, and your chassis grounds. Remove your spark plugs to inspect them and your coils, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
revcounter, rpm, tachometer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode