Frame Rust Issues - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Frame Rust Issues

Hi There,

A few weeks back i discovered some what severe Rust spots forming at different places on my V frame.
I met the Country manager for Kawasaki yesterday and he reviewed the bike and was very very humble and offered to respray the entire frame and even replace one or two sections. I will also have the tank resprayed and have all metal 2 metal contacts fixed by putting rubber "Gaskets" in between.IE. Where the tank bolts to the frame and between the seat and all metal contacts.

They will also fix all the buzzing issues from the dials. All this to their expense obviously

I was expecting at least some resistance but the guy was very friendly, understanding and helpful.

So, hopefully this will encourage folks to check your V for rust knowing that Kawasaki acknowledge and will fix these issues.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 05:21 AM

When I first bought mine there was some rust under the frame covers on that hollow tube that runs through the frame (the one that some people are using for the home-made bike lift). I put some rust-remover acid on them and then covered it with some cold galvanizing paint.

I haven't seen any other rust on the bike (thankfully). Glad to hear Kawi is fixing it for you! You're lucky to have gotten to the right person - if it had been my dealership, I don't think I would have had the same results.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 09:10 AM

Is the frame rust a serious problem? While visiting a V-strom 650 forum, several V-strom 650 owners purchased the Suzuki instread of the Versys due to visable rust on the frame on NEW bikes on the showroom floor! Any comments would be welcomed!!

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Those Wee-storm folks are just clearly jealous :O

But seriously, it only seems to be the 07' models and only a handfull of them, and if it does have rust here or there, you get a free respray (As in my case), i mean "Bonus" !

The rust issues are also under the covered areas, so i guess they used there x-ray vision to look at the bike in the showroom or brought along there tool box.. I dont think so Or it could be totally possible that there was rust in a visible area, but im sure the dealer or a salesman would have noticed at an earlier stage. imo
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 09:31 AM

No rust noted on my V.... coming up on 2K miles.

Luke
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:00 PM

rust

I got over 6000km on my 07 model.....no rust issues....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 05:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to Ron McColl
Early on (pre 4000km) I made mention to the dealer mine had trace rust appearing from points where frame bracing is and no treatment was frame cross frame. hey were to keep an eye on it and speak with Kawasaki NZ
Recently I removed the tank and found rusty water on the wiring loom. The underside of the tank has little paint on it and areas no paint at all. I informed the dealer HIS bike had a problem. The bike is just on 13 months old and at almost 16000km
The dealer is going to inspect the bike closer. will let you know the result.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 08:22 AM

I have one small rust stain under the cover with the engine mount bolt goes through. I will clean it up with rust remover and hit it with some color matched paint, done deal. Any V Strom owner who says they saw rust on the bike on the floor is full of crap IMHO.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 05:11 AM

Just checking my 07 Versys today and a noticable rust patch caught my eye up inside the frame where the steering header is.

Bike is one owner, has 25 thousand KM and is in otherwise excellent condition. Always garaged at night and this is not a road salt issue as I'm in Sydney.
No other frame rust that I can see.

I'd be interested to know if others have the same.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP39491.jpg (478.1 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg IMGPzoom_edited-1.jpg (436.0 KB, 331 views)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 02:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to Ron McColl
I have fully dissmantled my V and there was rust behind nearly all the frame gussets. worse towards the front. The steering head where the frames meet is closed on the underside. ya can hardly see in there let alone paint or treat it. My frame has been blasted, dipped to treat the metal, repainted an, rust proofed. you may find as I did that the cross tubing in the frame doesn't even have paint in it. Pull the plugs out each side and have a look with a torch. I was told by Kawasaki New Zealand that the problem is road salt. NB kawasaki NZ does not back there product. The bike had less than 1000km on it and not been near road salt. I will be posting pics of the work carried out and of the rust. anyone wanting to see the rust pics before then just email me?
regards Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode