Go On or Change Now (Another Tire Question) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Go On or Change Now (Another Tire Question)

Hi all,

I have a 2013 V with orig tires with 13.5K miles. I have a set of Conti-Motions waiting in my basement since last year. I am thinking of keeping the orig for the rest of this riding season and change them next year early spring. Still safe to ride with these or change now? Here are some pix of the rear which has more wear than the front. Appreciate your feedback.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0921151355-00.jpg (80.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 0921151356-00.jpg (34.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 0921151356-01.jpg (55.9 KB, 54 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2013 V with orig tires with 13.5K miles. I have a set of Conti-Motions waiting in my basement since last year. I am thinking of keeping the orig for the rest of this riding season and change them next year early spring. Still safe to ride with these or change now? Here are some pix of the rear which has more wear than the front. Appreciate your feedback.
Wait, what are those funky lines in the middle of the tire, is that the so called "tread" I hear everyone talking about?

Those look fine to me, and seeing as how you are in NJ, it wont be long before your riding season pauses for a bit. Then would be a good time to swap out if you wish and catch up on some preventive maintenance IMO.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 01:54 PM

they look fine - but if you want to change them then change them. you already have the new tires (and letting tires sit around is not good for them, they start to dry rot unless they go through flex and heat cycling from being used as this releases o2 and uv inhibitors in the rubber compound) or so I've read.

this helps explain it:
http://car-storage.com/article/tire-dry-rot/
"Lack of Use

The rubber compound that makes up a tire contains a protective wax that is intended to protect the tire from oxidation. The protective wax provides protection when it reaches the surface of the tire through a process called “blooming”. Blooming is a process where protective wax works its way to the surface as the rubber tire flexes and compresses during use. When the tire is not in use the wax protection left at the surface from the previous use is consumed by oxidation, leaving the tire unprotected. When a tire is not in use the protective wax is not replenished because blooming only occurs when the tire is in use. Therefor tire degradation can vary depending on how often the tire is used.

What do tires contain to help prevent dry rotting?

In the earliest days of car manufacturing tires were not black, they were white, which is the natural color of rubber. Since white tires where highly vulnerable to UV damage and oxidation they were constantly needing to be replaced. To combat this problem manufactures began adding a filler called carbon black. Blending carbon black with the rubber compound used to produce a tire increased structural integrity making it less susceptible to rapid UV light damage. This ultimately resulted in a tire with a greater lifespan.
In addition to carbon black, manufactures added a special wax and other protectants called antioxidents and antiozonants to provide even more protection against ozone, oxidation and UV damage."

Last edited by kohburn; 09-21-2015 at 01:57 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 02:06 PM

Garage
They look like they have life left to me. As long as they feel OK, I would run them further. That said, the OEM rear that was on my '09 felt "greasy" despite having some tread left.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
id keep riding it as long as YOU feel safe on it.... im a tight wad and ride my tires to the wires be for replacing them

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 06:42 PM

Those look a lot better than the OEM tires on my '14 with (barely) 5000 miles. I'd say wait, unless you have a nice climate controlled environment and a way to keep the bike from sitting on the tires. I'd hate to run the risk of leaving the bike sit on brand new tires all winter (yeah, it'll probably be fine, but....).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 07:23 PM

My 2012 stock tires wore funky too, but they may have started to dry rot (most oem vehicle stock tires are not premium, and many are irregular.) Low air pressure will kill a set of tires quickly too. I got the next better grade of Dunlop RoadSmart 2 and they are wearing good so far with more miles than before, and still rolling.

If I can get premium Dunllop tires sized on my motorcycle, that's what I prefer usually. They handle good, are economical, and don't surprise me with defects when I least expect it (and my oem Dunlap's irregular wear did surprise me, but I'll never get those tires again.)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I'd keep riding on those tires, IF it was MY bike...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode