Oil Change - Shifting different - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oil Change - Shifting different

Hi All - just changed the oil - Bike is operating just fine, except there is a definite difference in the smoothness of the transmission. It is efficient, goes in and out with ease, but more of a "CLICK" in gear 1 and 2.

Repsol 10w-40 dinojuice
7000 miles

Bought it at 6k - do no know if it had synthetic in it before...

Anyone can vouch for a smoother trany with synthetic?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foo Fighter Rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 10:20 AM

Do you know how many miles on the oil you took out? It's not likely that the new oil is causing your transmission to shift worse than old oil, even if that was a synthetic. Make sure you haven't changed anything about the way you shift between 1st and 2nd. Also, it's likely that you are hearing things that were there before but didn't notice until you changed the oil and started paying attention to them...

Some people say that synthetics make their transmission shift smoother. I never noticed a significant difference on transmissions that were really clunky by nature. The Versys, BTW, isn't one of those, even if the 1-2 shift does produce a noticeable sound.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

You're probably right - I was listening to every sound and watching the panel to make sure my oil pressure light did not wink.

Foo Fighter Rider

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 04:47 PM

Clutch and shift timing seem to make a huge difference on how quiet and smooth these bikes shift. Sometimes mine is like butter, others it's a real clunk.

I'm at 600 miles, when it gets to 12-1500 for the next change will get synthetic for sure. I've never heard of a machine that didn't run a little smoother on synthetic lubricants.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 05:41 PM
naz

oil threads dominate the forum and of course the common suspects like me appear to say some words.
as gustavo mentioned you may pay much more attention than before.but its pretty easy to feel the click of the shift if it has changed,or not.
the new clean oil can only be good for your gears,axles,chains.dont worry about synthetics or not,just verify that your oil is jaso ma approved.some fellas sees 10w-40 and they say,aha this is it.it also has to be jaso ma approved guyz,your gearbox may become very stiff if the oil fails to pass the jaso ma standards.further more there are some more approvals like iso-l-ema
especially for wet clutches
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 01:24 PM

Hello, Not sure if you ever tried to load up before you shift, BMW recommends this just hold pressure on shifter and tap clutch, seems to work good for me.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyscal View Post
Hello, Not sure if you ever tried to load up before you shift, BMW recommends this just hold pressure on shifter and tap clutch, seems to work good for me.
Hey tyscal- not sure what you mean...put pressure on shifter, then engage clutch?

Foo Fighter Rider
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa714 View Post
Hey tyscal- not sure what you mean...put pressure on shifter, then engage clutch?
Yes. It's the correct way to shift.

Put your foot under the lever, apply light pressure, pull the clutch in. Before you've moved the lever a fraction of an inch, the lever will smoothly move up and shift to the next gear, release the clutch. Same thing going down in gears.

Gustavo

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I went with the Repsol Semi-Synthetic when i changed at 3800 miles gear changes were smooth as butter afterwards

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:57 AM

Garage
I had my pre-winter service today and changed to Kawasaki S4 Synthetic oil.

I can't believe how much better it is changing.

The previous oil was only 3000 miles / 5000 kms old, and the levels were good.

I have lost my 'clunk' in first and second

For $8 more it was worth it.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have to change my oil soon, can you tell me the exact specifications for the oil, the price and where did you buy it please?
I'm at the second oil change, at close to 5000km, put it in storage for the winter...

thx

Versys 2015 Green
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 04:31 PM

JASO MA oil. 10W-40 is what's recommended but 10W-50, 15W-50 good if summer's hot. Changing the oil filter together would be a good practice.

Amsoil is a very good brand.
http://www.amsoil.com/locator/dealerlocator.aspx

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You can get any Amsoil product from http://www.woodsbrosracing.com/amsoil-online-store.htm for over 40% less than from Canadian Tire (20+% off US prices), and it's shipped from Canadian depot to your door in a couple days. Enter email, state or province and secret promo code for an instant quote... I use Amsoil's synthetic 0W-40 Formula 4-Strokeģ (JASO MA) and end up paying under $9.00 per quart, shipping and taxes included (12 quart case). Let me know if you want the code.

0W-40: http://www.woodsbrosracing.com/amsoil/aff.htm

10W-40: http://www.woodsbrosracing.com/amsoil/mcf.htm

You can also get Shell's synthetic Rotella T6 5W-40 (JASO MA) in a 4 liter jug for about $30.50 plus taxes at Shell oil distributors.

http://www-static.shell.com/static/c...rotella_t6.pdf

Last edited by invader; 10-17-2010 at 09:27 PM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:40 PM

Garage
Mine was Kawasaki S4 Synthetic 10W40 oil from the local dealer (Burnaby Kawasaki).

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode