weird tire wear - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
weird tire wear

I've got a Michelin PR3 rear with about 6000 miles on it (the front pr2 with the same mileage is wearing the same way but not as bad). I'm getting pretty good wear from it overall but it's beginning to get a little weird.
It's hard to see in the photos but it's wearing flat on the sides or at an angle and the center isn't wearing much at all. Most of my riding is on two lane back roads, lots of turns and I know the rubber on the sides of the tread is softer than the center but could this account for the flat sides?
See how it's got three flat sides on the tread instead of a nice rounded arch? At the rate it's going the tire tread will wear out on the sides before it wears on the center, I've never had a tire do that before.
The wheels are aligned and tire pressure is about 35psi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 07:18 PM

Not an expert by any means, but yeah, I would think the dual compound has something to do with it. It does look a little strange. Good to see you still have grooves showing at 6000 miles. I'm running the stock tires and doubt if they will have any grooves at 6000.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVerde View Post
Not an expert by any means, but yeah, I would think the dual compound has something to do with it. It does look a little strange. Good to see you still have grooves showing at 6000 miles. I'm running the stock tires and doubt if they will have any grooves at 6000.
Traditionally I'm pretty easy on tires. I got over 10000 out of the stock Dunlops and they still had tread left but where starting to get slick on wet roads. I may get close to that on the Michelins but it looks like they will be worn out on the sides before the center.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 07:30 PM

On your pictures you can even see where the softer compound meets the harder center compound and that is actually where the unusual wear area starts.

Probably for your next set you can try ContiRoadAttack 2 Evo; Continental doesn't use different compounds of rubber on the tire, they have some weird stuff going on on the carcass so the center wears less than the sides, you don't get the same weird feeling of the dual compund tires:

Continental Motorcycle Tires ContiRoadAttack 2 EVO

Conti gets lots of negative comments from people that has only tried their lowest end Conti Motions, but their high end tires are very good.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Wet road performance is most important to me. I think I'll look at the contis, they say "perceptible wet road improvement", whatever that means.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Seems you ride more curves than the average rider and more curves vs straight line than Michelin expected the tire to be used for.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 11:20 PM

Wait! You aren't balancing your tires with beads are you?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
The wheels are aligned and tire pressure is about 35psi
That's part of the reason. It does appear to be caused by a lack of inflation pressure... Recommended tire pressures are 36 psi rear, and 32 psi front for riding solo with no payload and what they call an 'average' weight rider. How much do you weigh? Check your pressures when the tires are completely cooled down and in the shade, before riding.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Wait! You aren't balancing your tires with beads are you?
I am but I don't THINK this is a balance problem. The tires feel balanced.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
That's part of the reason. It does appear to be caused by a lack of inflation pressure... Recommended tire pressures are 36 psi rear, and 32 psi front for riding solo with no payload and what they call an 'average' weight rider. How much do you weigh? Check your pressures when the tires are completely cooled down and in the shade, before riding.
I ride solo almost exclusively, BUT, I am a few pounds heavier than average (230) and I do have Pelican cases mounted, although usually lightly loaded with my lunch (remember, I am 230 and still growing)
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I ride solo almost exclusively, BUT, I am a few pounds heavier than average (230) and I do have Pelican cases mounted, although usually lightly loaded with my lunch (remember, I am 230 and still growing)
Ahah! Then it is underinflated.

I'd say you should have the rear at 39 or 40 psi cold, and front at 34 or 34.5 psi cold from my educated guess... Others may say you could go a tad higher still.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 01:47 AM

How old are your tires. If you don't ride half a year up North and stretch it out a few years, with old tires (look at date stamps on tires), your tires could be dry rotted. Tires are your best safety insurance: don't cheap out on your safety. Those are donuts!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
How old are your tires. If you don't ride half a year up North and stretch it out a few years, with old tires (look at date stamps on tires), your tires could be dry rotted. Tires are your best safety insurance: don't cheap out on your safety. Those are donuts!
I just mounted them up last winter, so only about 9 months old. I don't recall what the date step says but I bought them new from a reputable online dealer. PR3, couldn't have been too old last year.

Last edited by ray h; 09-21-2015 at 02:13 AM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Ahah! Then it is underinflated.

I'd say you should have the rear at 39 or 40 psi cold, and front at 34 or 34.5 psi cold from my educated guess... Others may say you could go a tad higher still.
I'll pump some more air in and see what that does.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 02:18 AM

Garage
Unfortunately PR3's have a reputation for this type of wear I've used PR2's and 4's and recommend them highly.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 07:04 AM

the pr4's probably won't do that - the center rib extends farther onto the side so it will transition the wear better
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
FWIW - I run 36psi F, 42 R, and have since I got my first V in '08..., and I do NOT "air-down" in the dirt, same as jdrocks .

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Too late. You can't time-reverse wear on tires. Invader is correct though. It does not take long to make funky wear patterns if you ride them at low pressure.

You were almost running front tire pressures on your rear tire. If you never rode at higher speeds, it may have worked all right at lower pressure. But evidently you do ride at higher speeds and I'd strip those tires off as soon as possible. You are going to wreck on those!

Higher tire pressures are better at high speeds. And although the center tread may wear faster, the rest of the tire will not look like a donut! ymmv

And using gravity balancing like the racers use and Invader too, may not hurt things either
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Too late. You can't time-reverse wear on tires. Invader is correct though. It does not take long to make funky wear patterns if you ride them at low pressure.

You were almost running front tire pressures on your rear tire. If you never rode at higher speeds, it may have worked all right at lower pressure. But evidently you do ride at higher speeds and I'd strip those tires off as soon as possible. You are going to wreck on those!

Higher tire pressures are better at high speeds. And although the center tread may wear faster, the rest of the tire will not look like a donut! ymmv

And using gravity balancing like the racers use and Invader too, may not hurt things either
I appreciate the advice but these tires are still good to ride on. So the tread is a little funky, they still contact the road, still cut through standing water and still grip. I'll just ride them out until the tread gets thinner or until they get slippery. I know I can't undo it but I can change the way they wear in the future. If I wreck it'll be my fault, not the tires.
Dynamic balancing isn't magic or new, it works. It's just another one of those things people either prefer or don't prefer. Some people prefer the stick on weights, some perfer the crimp on weights, doesn't mean one is better than the other.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 02:32 PM

Garage
I'm 210 and I run my rear at about 39lbs on the V. In my opinion it's a trade off. Running a little extra air makes em last and wear better, but softer is stickier. That said, 36 is about as low as I would go intentionally, but I might go up to 40 or 41.

Might want to check your gauge against another one known to read accurately good. I have a gauge that reads 3-4 lbs low. It's kind of like the opposite of what a Kawasaki Speedometer does :-)

Also if they chip-seal roads in your area, that stuff eats tires compared to asphalt I'm in Western NJ and they do it quite a bit here.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode