Is my tranny cooked? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Is my tranny cooked?

After over 5 months traveling in Mexico, I'm heading home. Unfortunately the return trip is accompanied by a sound in my 08 like a can of nails being rattled when I back off the throttle. The sound disappears when I engage the clutch. I'm gonna try and find a shop to change the oil tomorrow, on the theory that there's a lot of metal shavings floating around down there. Anyone out there got experience with something like this? Any theories, and prescriptions to minimize the damage? I'm hoping to get it back to the US where I had an appointment set up for other more routine maintenance, but I guess if I have to get it fixed here, I will. Opinions please! (and thanks in advance!)

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
How does it sound on idealing, no gear engaged.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
How does it sound on idealing, no gear engaged.
It sounds normal during idle, and seems to pull fine as well when the throttle is not in deceleration mode.

Michael
- Terry Pratchett

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
If it's okay on normal engine run and pulls well , then I don,t think its tranny problem. It might be an exhaust problem as the noise comes only when you decelerate. The tin noise is pointing more to the Exhaust. Check and see if there is any lose parts on the exhaust system.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 03:53 AM

Definitely check the chain tension first.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
How's your drive chain tension? I bet it's too slack. (Definitely yes, amir_zwara. Deleting and reposting to avoid the 'edited' note has become a bad habit.)

With rear suspension fully extended, measure the vertical movement (chain slack) midway between the sprockets. Chain slack: 25 - 35 mm (1.0 - 1.4 in.)

You probably have about 3 inches (75 mm) chain slack... If possible, rotate the rear wheel to find the position where the chain is tightest to adjust it.

Last edited by invader; 06-25-2010 at 04:39 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

D'uh!

Well once again, I've revealed my novice status as a rider my friends... I never even checked the chain tension, as I had adjusted it just a thousand miles or so ago, (mebbe two thousand), and thought it could never have loosened up as much as I now see it has. Maybe riding all these topes has been wreaking havoc on my chain, 'cause Invader & Amir have perfectly described it's slackness. Hey, as much as I feel like a fool, I'm greatly relieved to know it ain't my transmission! Thanks guys! Unfortunately, when I put a new tire on a few months ago, the mechanic installed the nuts so tight, I bent the tool kit's wrench when I tried to stand on it to loosen the nut, so I'll have to wait till a shop opens up to make the correction. I'll report back tonight or as soon as I have internet service, and after adjusting it. Thanks again folks. It's pretty sweet to be off riding by oneself in a foreign country by oneself, yet still have an extended family of buddies here with more experienced minds to pick when sh#t happens.

Michael
- Terry Pratchett

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Glad things are good miguelito. Stay safe, ride hard! After you get your chain adjusted of course!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 01:38 PM

Hey man... the only reason I said to check is because it's happened to me too! so no worries, get her tightened up and enjoy the trip back up north.
If you come through AZ, send me a pm. I'll buy you a beer if you tell good stories!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Well, the chain seems to be well and truly cooked. After adjusting it in Hidalgo del Parral, it is once again just as slack after two days of riding, so I've added a new chain to the list of maintenance I need to get done before my next ride up through Colorado/Wyoming. Thanks again for the input mates. Amir, If I get over to AZ, I'll let you know, and I'll buy you a beer regardless of your storytelling abilities.

Michael
- Terry Pratchett

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
clutch, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode