Traffic lights - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Traffic lights

Does anyone else here have trouble triggering traffic lights with their V? I'm thinking it the lack of having any heavy steel parts located on the bottom of the bike that makes the traffic light sensors not trigger. Any solutions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 01:28 PM

Yup, I do all the time. I hate the one that I have to go through everytime I leave my neighborhood.

There's another thread on the green light magnets here: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...n+light+magnet

I haven't tried them though.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 02:17 PM

Check your state laws, because most states allow bikes to go thru red lights after they have sat for a certin amount of time.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 02:41 PM

it's not a versys thing, it's a motorbike thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylikesbeer View Post
Check your state laws, because most states allow bikes to go thru red lights after they have sat for a certin amount of time.
exactly. pay attention to the cycles. if it's clear that your turn has been skipped, you can go thru like it's a stop sign.

btw, if you're sitting there all alone except for a car is behind you, check their position. if they are not on the loop, wave them forward. sometimes they leave a huge gap ahead and can easily creep closer to trip the light.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
it's not a versys thing, it's a motorbike thing.

exactly. pay attention to the cycles. if it's clear that your turn has been skipped, you can go thru like it's a stop sign.

btw, if you're sitting there all alone except for a car is behind you, check their position. if they are not on the loop, wave them forward. sometimes they leave a huge gap ahead and can easily creep closer to trip the light.
I'm always waving them up..... most of the time their clueless but....I'm always waving em up...LOL.

I didn't know about the cycle exemption though.....thanks a lot...I will stop by my local cop shop to confirm for michigan.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
some lights can be on a time sequence or the main problem is the sensor you ride over will not trigger unless you are on a hog due to the extra ton of chrome
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
I didn't know about the cycle exemption though.....thanks a lot...I will stop by my local cop shop to confirm for michigan.
Good idea. Not legal everywhere to run the red light. I know in Virginia they are considering it. I think you have to sit through 2 or 3 cycles though....

I wait one cycle then carefully proceed. I may get busted sometime but if I do, I can speak to the judge & take my chances.

As of June 2008 seven states made it legal to proceed.

I cant find a more current list of states.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 05:45 PM

One other option is to notify the city official, especially if you have to go through that stubborn light everyday. Tell them you are willing to test for them using your bike after they make a change. I did that in my city and the light turns green on my turn everytime now.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 09:17 PM

I have a buddy that just became one of the bike cops in town. I emailed him last week to ask if Montana had such a law and that it was a big problem for me. He waved me over last weekend to have a chat and said that he couldn't find the law but he was going to lobby for it. He said that a couple of days earlier he sat through 2 or 3 cycles and decided to go. He was in the intersection when someone came out of a blind spot and almost clipped his front wheel. His advice to me was do it but be careful.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 09:55 PM

Happens to me sometimes too. I'll go through it if it skips my turn or takes a really long time. Hell, sometimes I can't even get out of my gated apartment complex.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 10:27 PM

Everywhere in the USA, it is the law that you must wait for the change even if the light burns out....or you say mother may I

V-Zee
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
You got tons of problem riding bike in USA.
Snow problem, traffic light problem.what else..

Here we ride any time , anywhere. traffic lights no problem, no snow, but RAIN

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
we have tourists vans that try to drive on the right hand side of the road, snow,rain,ice,floods but thats all part of the fun
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 09:27 AM

Read once somewhere using a small magnet stuck under the bike will help with traffic lights. I haven't done it myself as here in South Africa most lights change on time intervals and the the other turn green quite quickly.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 11:10 AM

The sensitivity of the sensors buried in the pavement are adjustable. If you experience a light that doesn't seem to trip for your bike (usually a left turn arrow) in your local area, I suggest you contact the traffic department of your city, county (parish), or DOT. They (traffic department employees) usually want the signals to work for everyone. It makes them look competent and helps air quality compliance. They can increase the sensitivity of the sensors and make the signal work for our bikes. As a former mayor of a small California city, I can attest that a polite inquiry will most often bring a positive resolution.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packmann View Post
The sensitivity of the sensors buried in the pavement are adjustable. If you experience a light that doesn't seem to trip for your bike (usually a left turn arrow) in your local area, I suggest you contact the traffic department of your city, county (parish), or DOT. They (traffic department employees) usually want the signals to work for everyone. It makes them look competent and helps air quality compliance. They can increase the sensitivity of the sensors and make the signal work for our bikes. As a former mayor of a small California city, I can attest that a polite inquiry will most often bring a positive resolution.
Just sent a very polite email to the public works dept. of my city. Hopefully they'll come through!
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Read once somewhere using a small magnet stuck under the bike will help with traffic lights. I haven't done it myself as here in South Africa most lights change on time intervals and the the other turn green quite quickly.
Yeah, we do that much smarter here in the US:

The lights are also on a time interval, but when no vehicle (read: "car") is sensed at the opposing light, the opposing light simply doesn't turn green!

So after everyone sits there for a little bit, the cars that stopped for nothing start rolling again, and you will still be standing there with your bike.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 12:55 PM

My response about getting "stuck" at a traffic light.

Good morning Mr. Featheringill,

Thank you for posting your question to the MSP website. It has been forwarded to my office for a response.

There is nothing within the Michigan Vehicle Code that allows for you to disregard the traffic signal in this circumstance. You could be cited for the violation. Our suggestion would be to turn right at the intersection and then find a safe place to turn around to head back in the direction you wish to go.

Thank you,

Sgt. Jill M. Bennett
Michigan State Police
Traffic Safety Division
Traffic Services Section
333 S. Grand Avenue
Lansing, MI 48933
TX: 517-241-0576
Fax: 517-241-0501
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 05:15 PM

The best advice is pay attention to where the wires are buried (usually a couple of circles just before the light, in the center of the lane) and make sure to ride through them. If that fails, the second loop is usually close to the stop line, so park yourself over it, put the bike in neutral and lower then raise the side stand so it goes back and forth over the sensing line in the pavement. That will usually trigger even the most insensitive light control loop.

Gustavo

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 06:42 PM

I have heard, but cannot confirm, that it helps to stop directly over an intersection of the buried sensor lines, and that flashing the brights on and off might also help (changing the electric field as the alternator catches the load?)
Bear and I got stuck last year by a temporary light installed for construction. It wasn't until I pulled forward and threatened the machine with imminent trauma that it finally changed for us.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode