09 Versys suspension settings - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
09 Versys suspension settings

I got my new 09 Versys a few weeks ago and put about 110 miles on it.
I set out to set the sag and rebound on it today. I found that the rear was set about right. It has about 5-7mm free sag and 30mm with me on it (I weigh 235).
The rebound seemed just right as well. This surprised me given that they're supposed to be setup for someone that is 150lbs. The front however, perplexed me a little. Initially sag was only about 15 mm so I rolled out (counterclockwise) 2 1/2 turns on each fork. It lowered the front end a little, but sag was still 15mm. That didn't seem right, so I stopped there. I also looked at rebound on the front. Holding the front brake and pushing down in the plane of the fork angle and letting go, it rebounds with a few bounces at the end like its set too soft. But if I hold brake and push down then release brake as I release force, there is no bounce.

So the questions are whats up with the front sag? Do I just need to roll the adjustments out (ccw) farther? And whats correct with the rebound, holding brake or no brake?

Thanks and I look forward to some words of enlightenment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 09:09 PM

Jcstratt,

Sounds like a sticky fork. Some ideas:

1. Is the fork alignment straight?
2. Check the space/ gap at the fork clamp/braces are the same.
3. Maybe changing the fork oil could help.
4. The spring seem to be soft, try hardening/tightening the spring.
5. Maybe the fork seal is sticking. Try shooting some silicon spray at the joint
to see if it helps.

The front fork adjustment on only on the right fork.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 12:30 AM

Take a look at this thread, see if it helps:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...read.php?t=705

Gustavo

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
Take a look at this thread, see if it helps:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...read.php?t=705

Gustavo
This thread helped me sort my issues out with the help of my suspension Guru Gustavo
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link, Gustavo. I see now where I was "missing" 15-20mm's in my measurement of the front.

The question remains about setting front rebound. Which is the correct method for the initial setup....
1. hold front brake, push down thru plane of forks, release forks and observe the rebound with the front brake held? I get lots of bounce this way.
or
2. hold front brake, push down thru plane of forks, release forks and brake at same time and observe rebound? I get no bounce this way
or
3. use no brake at all and butt the front wheel up against a wall (or other solid object) for the process? I haven't tried this one yet, but I suspect it will be much like holding the brake thru the whole process.

Thanks again for the replies!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

going for the test ride is the best way to test imho, see how it feels to you but use the same circuit and speed everytime you adjust.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Suspension setting is very personal to each individual and its more of a feel rather then technical.

You need to get the right setting for the bike and you, to be one on every turn and bum. So get started by a marked setting and then twit it along the way to suit you style and feel.

Factory setting is for 70Kgs weight which is BS.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstratt View Post
2. hold front brake, push down thru plane of forks, release forks and brake at same time and observe rebound? I get no bounce this way
When you release the brake, does the bike move back? It does for me, which is why it doesn't bounce as much (some of the energy is converted into bike motion instead of fork motion). Keeping the brake on while compressing and releasing yields better results (unless you are capable of compressing and releasing the spring without any bike movement without the brake, like when using a wheel chock).

But, like our Kiwi friend mentioned, eventually, you have to test ride it and see how those settings work in your real world conditions. You may have to fine tune based on the types of roads you encounter on a daily basis, which is where that test loop comes in handy.

Gustavo

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

just repeating the advice you gave to me Gustavo
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

It turned out that the rear sag was set at 34mm and the front is 37 after 2 1/2 turns out.
Rear rebound seems spot on, front bounces some. Adter riding it around, it feels a bit smoother, but a bit more uneasy. I will probably dial in a few turns of rebound and see what happens.

Thanks for the tips on the front sag!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode