How to Install Backoff XP Brake Light Flasher - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How to Install Backoff XP Brake Light Flasher

The brake light flasher in my opinion is one of the best safety add ons you can add to your ride. I have had many people tell me during group rides that the brake light flashers wake em up and grab their attention when they are daydreaming. This has been verified by my wife on her bike or following me in her SUV from time to time.

I decided on the Signal Dynamics "Backoff XP" for my install. I purchased mine from valueaccessories.net. https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...er-forums.html Back Off I have ordered several items over the years from them and have had top notch service each time. Anything from running lights, crash bars, now to the Backoff XP have been shipped from valueaccessories and have arrived timely and in perfect shape.

Make sure you buy the XP version as it supports LED Tail/Brake lights.

This install was done on a 2010 Versys. 2010 Factory Service manual was used to verify wire colors as well as a test meter.

Here are a couple pictures of the retail packaging.

1. Remove seat. Also, during install, make sure bike is off.
2. Locate the wiring coming from the tail/brake light assembly. There are 3 colored wires (on the light harness - Blue, Red, Black/Yellow). All wiring is done on the light end of the harness. I found it easier to unplug the tail light at the connector to make working a little more roomy.
3. Remove about 1 inch of the black cover that covers the Blue, Red, and Black/Yellow wires. Slide the covering that you did not remove back up against the tail light.
4. THE ONLY WIRE YOU WILL CUT DURING THE ENTIRE INSTALL IS THE BLUE WIRE.
5. Come back from connector about 1.25 inches and cut the BLUE wire. (At this point I could not help but think of the movies and disarming a bomb...Cut the BLUE wire)
6. Strip back about 1/8" of each side of the blue wire.
7. I soldered my connections for best long term reliability. Use crimp splices or whatever method you choose to make these connections.
8. Choose either mode (from the XP install instructions)
Mode One - 4 Short Flashes, 1 Long Flash & Repeat
Mode Two - 5 Fast Flashes then Steady, NO REPEAT

*** IMHO Mode One Flashes Too Slow ***
9. I chose Mode Two because it flashes much quicker and I am already used to watching the rearview for inbound traffic and I release the brake and reapply as needed. This also keeps me paying attention to whats closing in behind me while I am stopped.

10. 1st Connection - Blue wire coming from connector connects to Solid Red wire from XP.

11. 2nd Connection - Blue wire coming from tail light connects to Red Wire with White Stripe from XP.

12. 3rd Connection - Black wire from XP to Ground. I chose to remove a bolt from the bracket (same metal bracket where the big frame ground is tied) use a dremel tool to remove paint and get a bare metal ground. Used a 1/4" ring terminal & crimped and soldered. Use multimeter to confirm a really good ground at this time.

13. Yellow & White w/ Red Stripe from XP not used and I sleeved and capped them and tied them out of the way.

14. Use rubbing (Isopropyl) alcohol to clean bottom of XP and bottom surface where you are going to mount the XP. Pick one side or the other as there is a bend in the middle of the pan running fore and aft. Dry alcohol with paper towel and peel & stick XP to pan as shown. Double Sided Tape supplied with XP.

15. I used a zip tie and the factory clamp to neatly route and secure all the wiring for this job. If you use a zip tie, don't tighten it so tight that over time, it will cut into the wires. Snug is good.

The First Picture clearly shows where the BLUE wire was cut and connected to the solid red wire from XP. The Red with White Stripe is connected to the other end of the BLUE wire "Mode Two" (not clearly shown).

The Second Picture shows better the connecting of the frame ground (Black Wire from XP). Dont forget to remove the paint under the screw.

Thats it! Your Done!

If you want to use Mode One (4 flashes, 1 long, repeat as long as brake is held), substitute the White Wire with Red Stripe at step 11.

This job took about 20-30 minutes. I'd say a 2 beer job.

I also attached the factory installation instructions to this message in .pdf format. The only wire cut (as shown with scissors in factory XP instructions) is the BLUE wire.

Good Luck & Ride Safe!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf back_off_xp_instructions.pdf (219.1 KB, 488 views)

Last edited by onewizard; 10-01-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Nicely done!!

Last edited by onewizard; 10-01-2018 at 02:12 PM.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 10:06 PM

What's the cost of the Backoff XP?

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 12:53 AM

I installed the standard Backoff on my '09 V. I thought the only difference was the sequence settings, I didn't know about the LED compatibility. I just picked up an admorelighting kit for my Givi E460 and was wondering if my Backoff would work with them. I emailed admorelighting and they said their lights will work with the Backoff, but that's good to know for future light mods.

My install was almost exactly as you described, real quick and real easy and I agree, one of the best add-ons. I don't think I'll ever have a bike without one.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittB View Post
What's the cost of the Backoff XP?
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...er-forums.html

Last edited by onewizard; 10-01-2018 at 02:13 PM.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 06:32 AM

I own the Kisan brake light modulator and totally agree with Capn Kirk. It should come stock when you buy the bike. Many of my friends have made similar comments about how it gets their attention. A MUST have!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Ride Report!

Just got home from a couple hour ride with the wife. I usually lead and she is behind me on her Vstar.

She said the Backoff XP was AWESOME!! She has complained from the first day of me bringing home the V that the tail/brake light is tiny and not adequate enough for safety. After tonights ride, she said it was the kick in the pants the lights needed. I have also ordered a row of clear lens LED's that mount below the license plate (they light up red). I will see how they look and report on those as well.

Edit: I added the license plate LED's!! They are much brighter than they look in the how to install thread here.

On my last bike, I used the Kisan Plug & Play (no wiring). With the LED tail lights, this was not an option but as stated, the wire in was a breeze.

I feel much better having this installed.

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 04-27-2011 at 05:15 AM.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 08:34 PM

Super mod, Capt, Kirk.

It performs like it's name. Great write up for others. Cheers...

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristian79 View Post
I installed the standard Backoff on my '09 V. I thought the only difference was the sequence settings, I didn't know about the LED compatibility. I just picked up an admorelighting kit for my Givi E460 and was wondering if my Backoff would work with them. I emailed admorelighting and they said their lights will work with the Backoff, but that's good to know for future light mods.

My install was almost exactly as you described, real quick and real easy and I agree, one of the best add-ons. I don't think I'll ever have a bike without one.
UPDATE: Just FYI for anyone looking at buying a Backoff. I just installed my admore lighting kit in my Givi case and the standard Backoff DOES NOT work with the LED's in the admore kit (I made sure to install the posi-tap in line with the brake light AFTER the Backoff module). I haven't contacted admore yet, but I'm assuming they were talking about the XP when they said it would work.

So, if you have an admore kit with LED lights and want the Backoff to work with them, get the XP as Capn Kirk said.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 01:35 PM

I think the Kisan costs about twice as much as the Back-off XP.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 02:33 PM

Be aware that more and more states are making flashing or rotating tail lights and flashing headlights illegal. I won't ride behind a bike with one because its too distracting,and many others riders and cagers say the same thing. I do like the idea of a flashing brake light only.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 02:49 PM

Not to jack the thread, but how are you doing Tommy? Healed up and riding again?

My Album:
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 03:14 PM

Not riding yet maybe a few more weeks. I hit my head harder then they thought and now I'm having balance problems. If that does not clear up, I won't be riding any longer[50/50 chance]. I did go gack to work today , but could not do much.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylikesbeer View Post
Be aware that more and more states are making flashing or rotating tail lights and flashing headlights illegal.
Tommy, Please list your sources.

Headlight modulators are legal in all 50 States per Federal Law and supersedes all State Laws . Modulating headlights are not "flashing" they pulse.

Copied from here: "Although there are U.S. and Canadian regulations governing the use of headlight modulators, which are legal in all 50 states and Canada, there are no similar regulations governing the use of brake light flashers. But this hasn't prevented motorcyclists from modifying or increasing the output of their brake lights, or from installing additional lighting in the hopes of improving their rearward visibility."

I just looked up Virginia Code and I am covered. § 46.2-1012 Motorcycles may be equipped with a means of varying the brightness of the vehicle's brake light for a duration of not more than five seconds upon application of the vehicle's brakes. BTW this law went into effect July 1, 2009. TN has passed a similar law.

My quick internet research has turned up quite the contrary...showing more and more states are clarifying and specifically permitting the use of brake light flashers (on motorcycles) not restricting them. The commonality I am seeing is they need to go steady by 5 seconds. There is some fuzzy federal laws about flashing lights in general but they pertain to making a vehicle resemble and emergency vehicle via flashing lights.

Quote:
I won't ride behind a bike with one because its too distracting,
Its your call, your ride. I think they are great! I have been in group rides where we ride for 30 minutes without touching the brakes. The flashing brake light really perks you up if your daydreaming and taking in the scenery. Several in our group have them and nobody has said anything but praises, even those who don't have them.

I would agree that I would not want to be in front of someone with a headlight modulator for very long. IMHO a headlight modulator would be inconsiderate and impractical in a group setting. Riding solo?? You bet.

Ride Safe!

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 06-24-2010 at 04:02 PM.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 08:06 PM

Hey Capn, not trying to be an a## but state law can supersede fed law, look at California. They can grow and sell pot, but its illegal by federal laws. I read about the lights in the AMA "state section" or in my BMW mag, just have to find it. Here in SC it is illegal to add any lighting to any auto or motorcycle, but its not inforced much. Changing pipes out on a bike is illegal in all 50 states by federal law, but only a few states inforce it, but thats changing too.

post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 08:20 PM

And I do like the brighter or flashing brake light, I do not like the "always" flashing or spinning tail light. This is what I said in my original post and those types of "always flashing or spinning" lights ,not brighter brake lights, are becoming illegal. Every type of after market light I have ever seen says may not be legal in every state.

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Tommy, Please list your sources.

Headlight modulators are legal in all 50 States per Federal Law and supersedes all State Laws . Modulating headlights are not "flashing" they pulse.

Ride Safe!
Quote:
And I do like the brighter or flashing brake light, I do not like the "always" flashing I have ever seen says may not be legal in every state.
+1. There is a big difference between FLASHING and MODULATION. Brake light with modulation is allowed but not Flashing.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 08:55 PM

Thats what I said in the original post. I know plenty of people that have "flashing or spinning" TAIL LIGHTS , NOT BRAKE LIGHTS,in states that it is ilegal. SC being one of them.

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
And I do like the brighter or flashing brake light, I do not like the "always" flashing or spinning tail light. This is what I said in my original post and those types of "always flashing or spinning" lights ,not brighter brake lights, are becoming illegal.
Looks like I completely misunderstood your post. Tail lights vs brake lights. I think of them as the same. I didn't consider the fact that people are adding additional spinning lights or additional flashing lights to the bike. It does not surprise me in the least that those type of lights would be illegal.

BTW, I don't think your an a##.

post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Hey Capn, not trying to be an a## but state law can supersede fed law, look at California. They can grow and sell pot, but its illegal by federal laws. I read about the lights in the AMA "state section" or in my BMW mag, just have to find it. Here in SC it is illegal to add any lighting to any auto or motorcycle, but its not inforced much. Changing pipes out on a bike is illegal in all 50 states by federal law, but only a few states inforce it, but thats changing too.
The headlight modulator law is contained in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). These all are PRE-EMPTIVE, which means that they supersede all state laws. Same goes for emissions and fuel mileage standards. States can't mess with 'em.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode