not going into gear - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
not going into gear

got a new 09 versys, rode200 miles, changed the oil, used 10-40 motorcycle specific oil, and since i changed it, two separate times my bike wont go into gear from neutral, it just wont click into gear but the shifter does move. my oil is in between the two lines indicating i have enough in(checked it after a light ride, then after a longer one and both times showed right. any ideas whats wrong and how to fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Just throwing it out there, have you checked your clutch cable adjustment??

Last edited by onewizard; 10-05-2018 at 07:29 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

If thats the cable that tightens up play in the clutch, then yes, but if its something other than that, no

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You are trying to get it in 1st gear (one down from neutral) and not in second gear (one up from neutral) which can't be selected when stopped?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

i couldnt get it into first from neutral. it eventually went into gear both times after 20-30 secs of trying
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 06:27 PM

newguy0220,

I've had the same issue a few times. Even worse, on one or two occasions, I've been comming to a stop for a stop light, and can't downshift at all! Granted, I shouldn't make a habit of holding the clutch in, coasting for a couple of hundred feet, and going from 5th or 6th gear all the way to 1st in one go.

When I have had trouble shifting to first, I've had good luck just rocking the bike forward and shifting at the same time. Don't ask me why it works, but it does seem to do the trick.

Monte

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Hey MHansen105, thanks for the tip, ill give that a try if it happens again. lets hope it doesnt
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 06:41 PM

It also happened a couple of times to me right after I changed my oil . I don't know if it had anything to do with it but I did switch oil brands and type (dino to synthetic ) . After I put about 50miles on the new oil change it has not done it in about 2500 miles. Like Monte said if you rock the bike forward you should be able to get it to shift.

Last edited by turn8a; 06-21-2010 at 04:37 AM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy0220 View Post
got a new 09 versys, rode200 miles, changed the oil, used 10-40 motorcycle specific oil, and since i changed it, two separate times my bike wont go into gear from neutral, it just wont click into gear but the shifter does move.
Which oil brand and type did you put in? Rocking it back and forth can help, as well as releasing the clutch lever just a bit. It'll also shift better if the drive chain is properly adjusted and not too slack... It will improve and smooth out as it breaks in, up to about 5000 miles.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 07:48 PM

You can also try this:

Pull in the clutch. Now put and keep pressure on the shifter (going into 1st gear) and slowly let the clutch come out.
It might slip (or shoot!) into gear, so make sure when that happens that you pull the clutch back in, not startle and let it shoot out! ...Or you will shoot forward.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 08:26 PM

Try looking in to the service manual 17-48 APPENDIX troubleshooting section.
Do you have to stomp hard to get it into gear? Are you happy with the leg gear lever settings?

Good Luck

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 11:44 AM

Check to see if your chain is too tight, and let some clutch out and click it down, happens to tons of bikes.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
You can also try this:

Pull in the clutch. Now put and keep pressure on the shifter (going into 1st gear) and slowly let the clutch come out.
It might slip (or shoot!) into gear, so make sure when that happens that you pull the clutch back in, not startle and let it shoot out! ...Or you will shoot forward.
+1 to this solution. Had it happen once or twice - slowly let out clutch and could then feel it engage something - with pressure on shifter - either slip in or was able to then bump up to 2nd and then down to first.

Foo Fighter Rider
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 04:24 PM
naz

is your oil certified for wet clutch engines?
there may be some 10w-40 in the market with high friction modifiers resulting in a poor clutch performance.check it out
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 01:36 PM

Had this exact thing happen on my Ninja 500 a few times. Just rolling it back a little bit, then trying to pop in into 1st always worked. I don't think it's happened on the Versys. It did happen a few times on my friend's '03Concours as well. The same fix worked for him. Just something in Kawi's tranny I guess
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 01:50 AM

How is your ride now, Newguy0220?

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 07:12 AM

Kawasaki motorcycles with the installed "Positive neutral finder" do this from time to time. All of the newer kawas have it as far as I know. At start just cycle the clutch in and out after its running a few times and it drops right in . Its more prevelant with new oil or if it has sat a few days, my last 3 Kawa's all did it. (Nomad, ZX10 and now , once in a while the Versys)It gets better (does it less often ) as the parts break in and after 10K or so just about goes away.

AMA EAA STN
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

its happened once or twice since, but it usually goes into gear after a few tries, luckily it hasn't happened around lots of traffic
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 05:43 PM

Happened a couple of times. Let the clutch go a little while maintaining pressure on the shifter. You'll feel the click in the shifter when it gest into gear right before the clutch engages.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 12:15 AM

Maybe I'm just silly but I believe this is quite common on older bikes/manual vehicles. Sometimes you have to move/roll the vehicle and it then always pops into gear.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode