Relay Help - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Relay Help

Hello,
I bought a cheap 12 volt relay to use for my fog lights and GPS power. I had it wired to the battery with a switch installed for on/off. I installed the relay and the next time I went to ride the battery was dead. I assume I have the positives wrong but I have attached a pic of the relay box. If anyone is also to tell me where each wire goes and I'll see if I have it hooked up wrong. The stuff written on the box was there, I'm not sure what it means.

If the pic is poor the top line says 85, 87a & 87 bottom line is 86 & 30.

I have to look again but I think I have:
85-ground
86- battery
30- foglights, gps
either 87a or 87 is wired into the ignition.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg relay.jpg (24.9 KB, 48 views)

Blue 2008, mirror extenders, Givi windshield, side sliders (came with bike), seat mod, 16T front sprocket, Ram GPS mount.
I work weird hours, if I don't reply, I will eventually, depending on the schedule. Also Ham operator VE5PS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Do I need to switch the positives? 30 to battery and 87 to fog lights, gps?

Blue 2008, mirror extenders, Givi windshield, side sliders (came with bike), seat mod, 16T front sprocket, Ram GPS mount.
I work weird hours, if I don't reply, I will eventually, depending on the schedule. Also Ham operator VE5PS.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 01:57 PM

Garage
Take a multimeter and with the continuity probe, check the common terminal
Then, when those common have being determine, you will probably have 1 (out of 5) connector that will not be related to another

After that, with the multimeter, check resistance on the terminal, you will find resistance on the coil side of the relay, not on the others

As far as the lonely terminal, I would assume that it is the opposite contact (open - close) of the contact side of the relay

Hope it helps !

PS If you don't have a multimeter, well this response was useless ...

LOP

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

I was hoping someone else would do that work for me and just tell me what to do with each pin I have to go to work soon and will have to play around with it tomorrow. For now I just unplugged the relay and the battery is fine.

If anyone has an answer like _____ wire goes ______? then let me know, otherwise I will play around with it later.

Thanks

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 02:12 PM

Garage
OK ...
So I look at the pic after my previous response

Now

Sorry ... Can't see the number on the pic

If you have hook the P and the G terminal directly to you battery, no switching of any sort in between, for sure you drained the battery, this is the coil side of the relay and as soon has the circuit loop is close (both terminal connected to a source) , current goes thrue it, hence draining the bat.

If not, the R terminal is the one that's going to feed voltage to the other terminal of the relay (two top row terminal on the right of the picture)
As you can see on the pic, one side is normaly close/on (current goes thrue - on the left side) and the other is normaly open/off (no current - on the right)

If you activate the coil side, it will change from it's normal state (left terminal close and right terminal open) to (left terminal open and right terminal close)

So you have to manage those state to get what you want

This might not be what you need as far as relay goes for the application you want to use it for, but it can be done with a bit on planing

Hope this was usefull

LOP

Last edited by Lours_Polaire; 06-19-2010 at 02:14 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Yes, that makes sense, I was just rushing through and not thinking enough about it I guess.... The first clue should have been, when I plugged in the relay it clicks. hmm something just clicked and the ignition was off.... maybe there is power there?
Not that it helps cause you cant see the numbers but I have:
30 & 87 to the lights & GPS (hooked together)
86 to ignition
87 the battery (+)
85 to ground

Guess what????? does not click unless the ignition is on and it's all working. Guess I need to learn to slow down and do things right, one of these times I'll fry the whole electrical system. "Slow and steady wins the race"

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 03:42 PM

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...ive-wiring.htm
pin 30 is +12v from Battery
Pin 87 is +12v to accesories.... in your case lights + GPS
pins 85/86 are from the sense circuit to the chassis ground, doesn't matter but 85 ideally sense circuit (either switch or wire into the desired circuit such as the tail lights/ side lights/running lights/headlights etc)
ideally 86 to chassis ground
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 04:09 PM

+1 to Healdem. I just connected a second horn using the same wiring sequence. Works fine.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

appears to be good now, i have changed it to how healdem said.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode