Fork seal leaking - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fork seal leaking

Got 22 000 miles on mine and the right front fork has been leaking a little oil, looks to be coming from the black seal. Started a few weeks bad, would wipe it off once a week, not much. This week, different story, leaking alot more.

Any suggestion on what i need to do? (besides finding someone with the correct tool to help me disassemble the forks)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 08:58 PM

I think someone sells a plastic thingey that you slide around the seal and it cleans out any grit that may be causing the leak. I seem to remember my Ducati friend doing that with his 998 and it worked.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The visible black dust seal can be pushed down (also to clean and grease it) by carefully prying it with flat screwcriver. You can then try to clean the oil seal with some camera film or other... You'll probably have to replace the seal and oil, after removing the cap and spring with spring compressor tool. You'd also need a piston rod puller to reassemble.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Invader - i think its leaking more than because a little dirt is in there. I have alot coming out this week.
You mention a spring compressor tool and piston rod puller? I was looking at a couple of vids on youtube, were they only used a fork seal installer (some mentioned making one from PVC0. That was the only special tools they used?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You have to seperate the fork to pull the old seal off and to install the new one on.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 03:11 AM

old trick sometimes works if your lucky and just grit in there is to use a feeler gauge, carefully wipe it around the sea/bearing.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 08:08 AM

Since you got 22,000 miles on the bike. The seals are wore out. If you have a way to lift the front end you could save 30 bucks on the dealer service by just taking the forks in. If you don't have a way to lift the front end, that is the first special tool. Since the service only happens every 20K miles it might not be worth the cost to buy the special tools. Shouldn't be more than 2 hrs labor + parts from the dealer. A good suspension shop should be able to do the job for less than $175.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 10:20 AM

I did a partial service of my forks at 20k milles this spring (oil change).

I pulled everything apart except the seals and I built my own tools. I did the work alone but the spring are stiff and having somebody to help is a good idea.

In my opinion you have 3 options:
  1. Have the bike services by a dealer of a bike repair shop
  2. Take out both fork tube and have the forks services by a bike shop or a suspension shop. I purchased a triple tree stand to service my forks. Some peoples are using a car jack under the engine and securing the bike with jack stand. I almost dropped the bike trying to do that so I decided to purchase the triple tree stand.
  3. Do the work yourself. You have sport bike inverted forks, It's messy, you will need a few metric tools and the shop manual

One thing you need to do is to record your suspension settings:

How many turns of preload and how many turns of damping you have.

Right now I am running at:
Preload: 2 turns in
Damping 1 3/4 tuns in

Here is the link on the thread where I show off my tools:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...2337#post82337

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Givi Windshield and side case
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Last edited by charlesleblanc; 06-19-2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: typo
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to give this a try myself. Did the cleaning under the seal with my feeler gauge yesterday. Lots of grime came from it, but after a short ride, i still noticed a considerable amount of leakage.

Anyone have any pictures of their V with the front lifted off the ground in order to be able to pull the forks off? I have the front fork stand, was thinking once i got it up in the air with that, somehow i should be able to block up the bike in order to remove the forks. Any suggestions would really help. I have looked on line for triple tree lifts (most look like an attachment i could easily have made at work to connect to my fork lift), i just can't figure out where it hold the bike up.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 08:44 AM

This is the tool for cleaning grit out of your fork seals. It only works if your seals aren't worn out.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...FamilyId=25537
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 12:37 PM

It is an easy job, I would rather rebuild an Inverted fork to a conventional any day.

The tools you need you can make for around $10 and the seals will cost around the same amount. Everyone I have done you do not need the PVC pipe to install the seal. They actually pop out pretty easy after removing the Clip that holds them in. On conventional forks it is more a press fit.

If you do not have a Stem Stand, you can always use a jack and a wooden block to lift the front off the ground ever so slightly. Remove the wheel and loosen the clamps for the forks. It will take longer to get the forks off than it will to repair them.

Todd
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

What's up Todd, liking the new V?

I've been pondering all day how to keep the front of the ground. Think i'm gonna lift it with my fork lift, then use my straps and hang the bike from my rafters in the garage.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 08:28 PM

When changing fork seals, even people who think they can change them end up not doing it right and they leak after they put the new seals in. I suggest you be careful when changing fork seals because if not done right, they will be leaking again right away. Just some advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode