Any reasons for hot air blowing on right inside knee? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Any reasons for hot air blowing on right inside knee?

I had the radiator temp gage put on with other stuff, so maybe something shook or vibrated loose or wasn't fastened properly.

Just putting out feelers to see if something common diverts air on the right knee. It was at least a 100 F today, or it felt like it; and maybe that's all it was.

My BMW F650 ST blows a lot of hot air but the pipe circle the cylinders (to warm up exhaust fast), goes under the seat, and out the left side to a hot cat converter.

Maybe the temp gage T (added between the upper hose) is something else to conduct hot temps and altered the air flow too somehow. It's not real bad, but it's not real pleasant either. I'll have to divert the air flow somehow No problems otherwise, running just over 220 F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 09:22 AM
RMS

during the hot summer my V always cook`s my right leg
the only mod to the rad is a mesh cover (home maid)
the parts are from home depot the instructions are from a very old post here at this site
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That's just the direction of air flow.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 10:21 AM

I've had my Versys for 5 years and recently, for the 1st time, I have noticed this same issue. My right leg gets hot, and it even feels warm under the right side of the saddle, where the right butt cheek is. But then I get off the bike, feel the saddle, and it's not hot. Take off the saddle -- the battery is on the left side, and the battery isn't hot anyway.

It's odd. Why would I never notice my right leg cooking for five years, and suddenly notice it? I've been wearing the same Aerostich the entire time. Oil and coolant levels are fine.

I hear ya, kawdog. It truly feels like something has changed, but what?

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500

Last edited by Holden; 09-10-2015 at 10:24 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 10:59 AM

I noticed the first time I rode mine.
I think the only thing that has changed is that someone brought it to your attemtion.
The hot air has to go somewhere, preferably to the outside of the bike.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i find sylvester cooks my left more then my right personally, might also be i kick my right leg out more

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 11:40 AM

Well, I have only a little over 400 miles on the bike, however 2 days of riding it was in the upper 90s, and in traffic. I never got uncomftorable.. I say that because that was one of the key reasons for Selling my Ulysses. I could have sworn on hot days in traffic you could have fried an Egg on the inside of my right leg.. jeebus it was hot. This bike is like a cool fall breeze in comparison!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 11:44 AM

Garage
100F here, riding in shorts I find my inner knee areas get really really hot, I can still touch but it is very uncomfortable to hug. I thought it was a problem but after noticing it only happened when ridding fast, like when sustaining 100MPH, I figured it was normal. I put down 100-110 the other day for at least 30min with only occasional dips to 60 when it was unsafe, no issues but my bike is still new.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I've noticed that warming issue much MORE on my '15 than either the '08 or '09.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I've noticed that warming issue much MORE on my '15 than either the '08 or '09.

Thats because your 15 doesn't have a Therm-O-Bob...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 11:27 PM

Garage
We all know that Thermo-Bobs solve a whole host of issues. If I ever purchased a second Versys (or a third, for someone's sake), then I would have all of them with Thermo-Bobs since I am a true believer in that device.

I am certain that I feel the heat from the engine change directions depending on the local wind conditions (once they are significant).

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 01:22 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
We all know that Thermo-Bobs solve a whole host of issues. If I ever purchased a second Versys (or a third, for someone's sake), then I would have all of them with Thermo-Bobs since I am a true believer in that device.

I am certain that I feel the heat from the engine change directions depending on the local wind conditions (once they are significant).

I sold mine with the Therm-O Bob still on it...Man that guy doesn't know how lucky he was when he bought it....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 07:57 AM

Thought the v already had a thermostat? no effective by pass around thermo? How would this device keep your right leg cooler? Pretty simple to see where the air is going to flow when moving

Last edited by Markie Motard; 09-12-2015 at 08:34 AM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 10:30 AM

Garage
The heat is getting so bad I'm thinking of ceramic coating the entire exhaust. This thing puts out enough BTUs to heat a school. It is 100F outside and the bike is maxed out doing 110.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 06:48 PM

Besides having more radiated heat from the engine cylinder head which is closer to the right leg, air flowing through the radiator is partially blocked by the radiator to thermostat hose on the left, allowing more heated air to flow on the right.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modake View Post
100F here, riding in shorts I find my inner knee areas get really really hot, I can still touch but it is very uncomfortable to hug. I thought it was a problem but after noticing it only happened when ridding fast, like when sustaining 100MPH, I figured it was normal. I put down 100-110 the other day for at least 30min with only occasional dips to 60 when it was unsafe, no issues but my bike is still new.
100+ in shorts? Well I would think if the bad happened, it wouldn't really hurt...
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Besides having more radiated heat from the engine cylinder head which is closer to the right leg, air flowing through the radiator is partially blocked by the radiator to thermostat hose on the left, allowing more heated air to flow on the right.
That is a complex assembly. Got any see through diagrams available? I know you have uncanny database access to almost anything mechanical or engineering wise to do with the Versys 650 (or probably anything else too.)

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode