Chain maintenance - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Chain maintenance

How do you care for your chain? How often to lubricate? How often to adjust? I have not had a chain-driven bike in quite a while.

2010 Versys - 2007 Honda Goldwing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 10:09 AM

Lots of discussion about using that DuPont teflon stuff. Search for DuPont and I think there are a couple of threads. I bought some, but have only used it once.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 10:17 AM
naz

poor guy welcome to the superiority of chain driven bikes...
i clean the chain using kerosene with a small soft paint brush.then i wipe it, wait to become dry and then spray a specific chain lube of my choice(loctite brand atm).in my other bikes i always did the same procedure ,chains always lasted for about 25-30 k kilometers.i repeat the procedure every 300-400 km
i used a motul chain lube spray but it was very glue like and the chain become like concrete very fast.then i used a valvoline spray that leaves a clear distinctive white film on the chain.i liked the film but after 3-4 cans i figured out that this product offers only psychological peace
now i try the loctite brand special chain lube ,its thinner than motul and offers equivalent lube .i have also tried some teflon based brands .just buy a specific chain lube product and repeat this simple procedure.dont exaggerate cause the chain will expand faster if you lube it every day.
i have also tested the wd 40 method and i can say it works,you just need to spray the chain more often.
the interval of spraying is a subject of change due to weather/climate condition and riding areas.rainy,dry,off road use,gravel etc.
hope i helped

Last edited by naz; 06-10-2010 at 10:54 AM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiseman View Post
How do you care for your chain? How often to lubricate? How often to adjust? I have not had a chain-driven bike in quite a while.
I, and many other here, have had very good luck using this
http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Performance-Lubricants-Multi-Use-Fluoropolymer/dp/B000GL19TY
It is available at Ace Hardware, and Lowes building supply.

It keeps the chain and bike very clean, and keeps the chain lubed and quiet. I lube every 400 miles, or after riding/parking in the rain. I use it to clean as well as lubricate. There is a huge thread on this site on this subject. Do a search.

See your owners manual for chain adjustment. A little loose is better than a little tight. The V's swing arm angle is higher than most, and the chain tightens as the suspension is compressed (due to this angle).
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 12:41 PM

Since the question is how do I care for my chain:

Every other gas fill-up, while the chain is "hot"
*WD-40 and a rag to clean the chain, applied at the bottom near the exhaust
* wipe the chain with a clean rag near the exhaust to clean off excess WD-40
*Light spraying of Dupont Multi-Lube with Teflon (blue can), applied at the back of the rear sprocket

Total time: usually under 15 minutes.

-Never mistake kindness for weakness.
-Harley Davidson rEvolution engine (V-Rod): Designed by Porsche, detuned by Harley.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Oil every 300miles and make sure the chain a bit wet. Use whatever is to your liking. Chian tension is about an Inches when you press at the centre point both way -up and down.

No big deal on the chain and you will have to replace it sometime. Only question is how offen and that will depand on your care for it.

A lot of therad here so take your time and cheeck it out.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 02:12 PM

I use the Dupont Teflon lubricant as noted in a previous response.

My method:

I back the bike up onto a Harbor Freight wheel cleaning stand (http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...112&zmap=98800), then clean the chain, as recommended by the service manual, with kerosene using a small brush, then wiping it down with a shop rag. Once dry, I then spray on the lube. Works great!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 02:52 PM

wd40 and tension check every few hundred miles. I always bias a bit to the loose end of the slack spec, loose chains are happy chains. You can do more if you wish but I've seen plenty of chains last forever doing only this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 03:48 PM

Sometimes I like to be a lazy a$$ [email protected], which is why I use Dupont Teflon Multilube.

I lube my chain hot (at the end of a ride) about every 400-500 miles. The chain always looks great so I don't clean it, just lube it.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 09:00 PM

The Teflon lube does a pretty good job of cleaning the chain and doesn't appear to attract much crap.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 09:52 PM

I like to use wd-40 for cleaning and then wiping off all build-up.Then using white lithium grease in a spray can.Works great and is cheap.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
The Teflon lube does a pretty good job of cleaning the chain and doesn't appear to attract much crap.
Steve, Where on earth do you ride??

+1 on Dupont Teflon stuff

V-Zee
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 06:40 AM

It dries pretty quickly and doesn't seem to pick up grit the way white lithium or other chain lubes do. The chain still gets dirty, but the teflon spray washes a lot of that away when I spray it on. I do use a brass brush on it every couple of lubes to get ride of any build up of lube and dirt.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

Last edited by sharrison56; 06-16-2010 at 06:42 AM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 07:39 AM

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amh.aspx I spray it on about once a month, just wipe with a rag after spraying then a light spray again. 16,000 miles and I have adjusted the chain about 3 times.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 07:49 AM

Dupont Teflon spray, every 300-400 miles...when I remember

08 Versys
97 Suzuki DR350
Pro Grip tank protector
Wee Strom hand guards
Nelson Riggs Soft Bags
Xelement Black mini tank bag
Xelement Silver ignitor Tri-Tex Fabric and Mesh Jacket with armor
Xelement Advanced silver and black Fabric Pants with level 3 armor
12V Powerlet
Nuvi 550 GPS
Yoshimura TRC slip on (stainless)
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 07:54 AM

The key,I believe,is too wipe off all you can no matter what you use.What you wipe off won't be used and just attracts dust.
Also depends where your riding.If your doing a lot of dirt roads just doush it w/ WD and wipe clean. Good to go,Just need to do it twice as often.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
... I do use a brass brush on it every couple of lubes to get ride of any build up of lube and dirt.
You might want to use a nylon brush so as to not damage the rubber’ish O-Rings.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 04:52 PM

i do every 400-500 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode