5Likes
  • 1 Post By invader
  • 1 Post By kawdog
  • 3 Post By invader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
First accident (minor), what to fix

Today it was raining in Portland and I thought it would be a good day to enjoy the fresh rain smell on the road, didn't work out the way I thought it would. I was riding downtown and caught a slippery, recessed tram track and I laid down the right side at about 10 mph, cracking the rear brake assembly, scratching my bark busters, and scratching the radiator plastic side panel. I was able to make my way home using only the front brakes (they made a slight clicking noise for the first few minutes but then the sound went away) and the engine shifted fine, seemed to run just as smooth, and I did not hear any other suspicious sounds besides the initial front brake clicking when I engaged them at very low speeds (under 10 mph). There were also NO scratches at all on the front forks or front calipers, which leads me to believe the front wheel and forks did not even contact the ground.

My questions are: does anyone think I should go check if my front brake discs are still aligned correctly? They still had perfectly fine stopping power on the way back home, and the clicking sound was only audible at very low speeds for the first mile or so.

Are there any other things I should check closely to see if they still function well? I want to make sure I don't miss anything and the crash seems minor enough that I might not even take it into a shop if I don't need to.

Thank you in advance for any advice, I want to keep riding, but not before I know the bike is in working condition again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11998312_457880161060544_42488679_n.jpg (32.8 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 11991022_457883177726909_908942453_o.jpg (28.2 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 11986052_457883184393575_248193629_o.jpg (21.8 KB, 109 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
do you have a picture of rear brake assembly, I see the front brake arm is bent in, easily straightened, some on this forum have applied heat, I have bent it without heat and without any adverse effects.
The rest looks like it has been ridden, nothing to worry about.
What is cracked, the mounting for the foot brake or the rear disc brake caliper?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wow, first time I see a rear brake/right footpeg mount broken up there like that... There is a weak point down at the left footpeg/shift lever mount.

Are there any signs of contact on your forks or front brakes leading you to have such concerns? Some dirt probably got kicked up in your rotor. You could remove your front calipers to clean them out and inspect your pads... Are they the original brake pads and tires, and what mileage are you at?
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by invader; 09-06-2015 at 08:27 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxInsany13 View Post
Today it was raining in Portland and I thought it would be a good day to enjoy the fresh rain smell on the road, didn't work out the way I thought it would. I was riding downtown and caught a slippery, recessed tram track and I laid down the right side at about 10 mph, cracking the rear brake assembly, scratching my bark busters, and scratching the radiator plastic side panel. I was able to make my way home using only the front brakes (they made a slight clicking noise for the first few minutes but then the sound went away) and the engine shifted fine, seemed to run just as smooth, and I did not hear any other suspicious sounds besides the initial front brake clicking when I engaged them at very low speeds (under 10 mph). There were also NO scratches at all on the front forks or front calipers, which leads me to believe the front wheel and forks did not even contact the ground.
you should know better then to ride on or even close to the damn max... if you dont slip/slide you might get ran over by the silent bastards

My questions are: does anyone think I should go check if my front brake discs are still aligned correctly? They still had perfectly fine stopping power on the way back home, and the clicking sound was only audible at very low speeds for the first mile or so.

Are there any other things I should check closely to see if they still function well? I want to make sure I don't miss anything and the crash seems minor enough that I might not even take it into a shop if I don't need to.
check for any fluid leaks by parking on top a clean peace of cardboard
Thank you in advance for any advice, I want to keep riding, but not before I know the bike is in working condition again.
and ya id check your forks and disks , plastics can be sanded and painted or just left as is and call them beauty marks
and

the bracket we can JDM up till you get a replacement (drill holes and bolt another peace of metal to tie the two peaces together)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

Last edited by silviefox; 09-07-2015 at 11:23 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 10:59 PM

You should bring it to a shop, not a dealer, and have it checked out. It's a brand new bike and
you want it as safe as possible. It probably won't need much if anything, but it's good to have a
good wrench (mechanic) and there are a lot of them where you are at. It sounds like a good time
to find one. Just find the busiest mc shop around, be nice, and tip your mechanic.

Oh yeah, get a 2010 Kawasaki Versys 650 shop manual off ebay for less than $20 usually and always bring it when you get work done. It's good to help you understand your bike too.

Don't sweat it, that $hit happens all the time. It may not cost anything but a tip which is a real time
saver for you and peace of mind.
JaxInsany13 likes this.

Last edited by kawdog; 09-06-2015 at 11:03 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 11:15 PM

That does look like the original (now 7 years old, hardened and also worn) OEM 2009 tires, which would well have contributed to your front end washing out.
onewizard, JaxInsany13 and canit like this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Wow, first time I see a rear brake/right footpeg mount broken up there like that... There is a weak point down at the left footpeg/shift lever mount.

Are there any signs of contact on your forks or front brakes leading you to have such concerns? Some dirt probably got kicked up in your rotor. You could remove your front calipers to clean them out and inspect your pads... Are they the original brake pads and tires, and what mileage are you at?
I have a new laptop, and windows 10, ---------------trying to enlarge the photo wasn't co-operative. Since no new pictures were added, it became apparent that I was overlooking something.

Many of the comments on this thread are 100%, I run Michelin pilot road 2s, when I switched from OEM Dunlop to these, it was like a different bike. As a senior citizen this is not something I purposely go out and do, but my pegs have been scraping asphalt. I am sure there is plenty of advice for tires on this forum, just ask, that is how I got my Michelins.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
do you have a picture of rear brake assembly, I see the front brake arm is bent in, easily straightened, some on this forum have applied heat, I have bent it without heat and without any adverse effects.
The rest looks like it has been ridden, nothing to worry about.
What is cracked, the mounting for the foot brake or the rear disc brake caliper?
Got a chance to take the assembly apart today, here's a better shot of the damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11995440_458255084356385_1331333031_o.jpg (26.4 KB, 61 views)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Got the bike used half a year ago, so for all I know the pads and tires are still original. Those are next on my list to replace, probably sooner rather than later thanks to this blunder.

I did not see any contact points on the forks or calipers, so I'll take it apart and hope its just dirt.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 05:58 PM

I never ride in the rain unless I get caught out in it. Just to many things can go wrong. I broke the brake on my bike, by dropping it in a low spot at the dealer, just after paying cash for it. The bike can be top heavy feeling.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Got the bike used half a year ago, so for all I know the pads and tires are still original. Those are next on my list to replace, probably sooner rather than later thanks to this blunder.

I did not see any contact points on the forks or calipers, so I'll take it apart and hope its just dirt.
What's the total mileage on your Versys? You're at least due for brake fluid replacement and coolant flush and replacement too, by the way. Replace those oem tires asap.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
What's the total mileage on your Versys? You're at least due for brake fluid replacement and coolant flush and replacement too, by the way. Replace those oem tires asap.

Just got to 13k miles, is it at 16k I should also have the valves readjusted too? The brake fluid I changed myself when I got it, but radiator coolant could use a flush.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 12:44 AM

It'd be a good idea to check the valve clearances to make sure they're still sufficient on the exhaust side on your early model Versys. It's also due for new spark plugs and a throttle body vacuum synch after... Good new tires are your greatest priority.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
...My questions are: does anyone think I should go check if my front brake discs are still aligned correctly? They still had perfectly fine stopping power on the way back home, and the clicking sound was only audible at very low speeds for the first mile or so.

Are there any other things I should check closely to see if they still function well? I want to make sure I don't miss anything and the crash seems minor enough that I might not even take it into a shop if I don't need to....
You should be able to check for "run-out" on your discs fairly easily IF you have a dial-indicator, and I'd suggest welding your foot-peg bracket rather than buying new.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode