Suspension Question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Suspension Question

Well, I'm kind if an idiot when it comes to suspension, don't know much about it. I followed the directions (somewhere in this forum) for proper sag. My question is, when driving down the highway and hit a moderate bump or dip the bike and my body seems to get jolted around a bit. Just seems way to rough.

Is this so soft of suspension and my body is dropping to much through the bump or to stiff and not absorbing enough? I can't seems to find the right setting for me. I'm 6'1" and about 230lbs. I would have to look again but I think the suspension settings are pretty high except the rear one that needs the tool to adjust (sorry I forget which one that is), it's on 5.

Any thoughts?

Blue 2008, mirror extenders, Givi windshield, side sliders (came with bike), seat mod, 16T front sprocket, Ram GPS mount.
I work weird hours, if I don't reply, I will eventually, depending on the schedule. Also Ham operator VE5PS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 03:05 PM

If you are talking about jolts from sharp, expansion joints then you need to lessen the compression damping to allow the shock to respond quick enough to the sharp bumps. Keep in mind the preload settings are only used to set sag, which is set in response to weight of the rider or riders. Damping settings control the flow of the oil inside the shock, thus the speed of the shock to respond to irregularities in the road. here is a guide put out by Sport Rider magazine.
http://www.sportrider.com/suspension...ide/index.html

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
We only have rebound damping and spring preload adjustments... For your weight, I would say about 3 turns out (less if you bottom out) from maximum preload on your forks, with 1/2 - 3/4 turn out rebound damping, and #4 (middle) rear preload (solo, no gear) with 9 clicks out from Hardest rebound damping.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Just got home from work. I'll do some more reading and playing when I get up.

Right now Rear preload is 5 with rebound one less than high. So do you mean "9 clicks out from Hardest rebound damping" I need to go the other way with rear rebound (softer)?
Front is about 1/2 a turn off of hard on the screw (rebound if I remember correctly) and I would have to check the preload, but it's somewhere close to that, maybe a bit lower. Before I went to work yesterday I increased the front rebound to where it is now and the front seems better, just need to play with the rear now.

Thanks for the help.

Blue 2008, mirror extenders, Givi windshield, side sliders (came with bike), seat mod, 16T front sprocket, Ram GPS mount.
I work weird hours, if I don't reply, I will eventually, depending on the schedule. Also Ham operator VE5PS.

Last edited by krbuc; 06-10-2010 at 04:42 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krbuc View Post
Right now Rear preload is 5 with rebound one less than high. So do you mean "9 clicks out from Hardest rebound damping" I need to go the other way with rear rebound (softer)?
If one less than high means 1 click softer than hardest position, then yes; you could try it at 8 clicks softer than you're at to be at 9 clicks out from 'H' towards 'S' with preload #4, or at about 8 clicks out with preload #5... At 200 lbs, mine is great at #3 preload with 11 clicks out rebound damping.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the advice.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
We only have rebound damping and spring preload adjustments..
Sorry about that...I was thinking about the Elka. Spaced out on the fact he had the stock shock. What Invader said...

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Just got home from work, much better ride. Kind of just ride though the bumps rather than it feeling like I hit them.
Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode