Here are a few shots of the 1976 KE125 clutch surprise I encountered when attempting to replace a crank seal. I had noted that the clutch felt odd, but was still working. Not very surprising for a bike with less than 800 miles.
So I removed the kick starter lever, the brake lever, carb housing (its a rotorary valve), and 2-oil line prior to removing the right side case cover. The case cover required a manual impact driver and lube to break loose these 35 year old fastners. Sorry no pics of that, but at this point I took some pics.
The clutch is the round one in the middle. I had noticed that a couple pieces of what looked like plastic fell out of the case when I removed the cover. There were also very small gritty buildup of the same color as the plastic pieces in the case nooks and crannies.
Pictured above is the primary drive gear and nut after I removed the clutch and basket. I got the nut off the crankshaft, but the gear will require a puller I do not have.
On to the surprise...
Here are the last two friction plates. Yes all those pieces where packed into the clutch assy some sideways and preventing a full disengagement. All in all two of the plates cracked in so many places some fell out of the basket. All of the plates are brittle. WTF-800 miles and this!!! So it looks like before I crack the Versys open I will be doing a smaller clutch first. Oh well, thats what you get when reminiscing on your past and buy an old bike.
Hopefully I will get my real camera for the documentation on the Versys. These where impromptu with a cell phone.