Grip Puppies / Hand guards - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
ronheater70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Grip Puppies / Hand guards

O.k, so since I went into Panic mode and almost decided to sell my new bike after I ran it up in the RPMS and got nasty vibes, it has subsided some. (as many of you said it would!) I anticpate it to subside a bit more as Im now sitting at only 225 miles on it. It has certainly smoothed considerably in the 4 range, and some in the 5 range.
This brings me to the question.. I read these help vibes and have read a few of you on here have these grips. Do they help much? Comfort level? What about with heated grips? I dont have heated grips, and probably will do without them for the remainder of this season as I have to many expenses coming up that are a priority. But thinking down the road..

And The Hand guards, assuming you have to pull the bar ends out, does it increase vibes?

Thanks!
ronheater70 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 07:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ankara- urkey
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
.

And The Hand guards, assuming you have to pull the bar ends out, does it increase vibes?

Thanks!
I mounted the protectors without removing the bar ends.
ertano is offline  
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
ronheater70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ertano View Post
I mounted the protectors without removing the bar ends.
Really, I didn't think you could? What kind of Guards are you running?
That sounds like what I would want to do, I just didnt think it was an option!
ronheater70 is offline  
 
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 08:50 AM
Member
 
kawdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Really, I didn't think you could? What kind of Guards are you running?
That sounds like what I would want to do, I just didnt think it was an option!
Those are probably hand SHIELDS and not hand GUARDS. The difference is an enclosed beam protection on the hand GUARDS. They could be marketed as something else, but those are common sense explanations.

If you don't want a 450 lb bike breaking your wrist, I'd go for the hand GUARDS, imo. I was going to go for the hand SHIELDS, until I sprained my wrist when my bike fell on it (which took 2 to 3 mos to recover)

Last edited by kawdog; 09-02-2015 at 08:52 AM.
kawdog is offline  
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
ronheater70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Those are probably hand SHIELDS and not hand GUARDS. The difference is an enclosed beam protection on the hand GUARDS. They could be marketed as something else, but those are common sense explanations.

If you don't want a 450 lb bike breaking your wrist, I'd go for the hand GUARDS, imo. I was going to go for the hand SHIELDS, until I sprained my wrist when my bike fell on it (which took 2 to 3 mos to recover)
Yea I started thinking that after I read it, BUT I researched it and (although none shown on a versys) seems many people simply put a longer bolt in and mount the guards to the end of the existing Bar end weights?

Seems like a simple Idea?
ronheater70 is offline  
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 09:17 AM
Member
 
kohburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern, NC
Posts: 1,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
some guys use silicon caulk and fill the whole handlebar while the bar end screw is off. supposed to really cut down on vibrations. never tried it myself.
kohburn is offline  
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Member
 
silviefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: welches, oregon
Posts: 3,116
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
ive got some no name cheap heated grips and i have to say they help my wrist a good bit by making the handles thicker,, but after 22 years of riding i also know you dont hold on with your hands just manipulate controls with them, hold on with your legs and the rest of your body will fill much better

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
silviefox is offline  
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 09:30 AM
Member
 
silviefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: welches, oregon
Posts: 3,116
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
some guys use silicon caulk and fill the whole handlebar while the bar end screw is off. supposed to really cut down on vibrations. never tried it myself.
ive heard that and using sand as well, the point is to make them heavier intern making them harder to get moving from vibrations, its why cheap china bars made of foil thin pipe buzz your hands to death

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
silviefox is offline  
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 09:51 AM
Member
 
Fly-Sig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 990
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I've got the grip puppies on my '15 650LT. They do help the vibes some, though I don't find the vibes too terrible without them. The larger diameter of the grip puppies has totally ended the hand cramps for me which I was getting after only about 15 minutes of highway riding. At first I wasn't sure if I liked the softer feel of the puppies because they do reduce the road feel and give a bit of a less precise feeling, but now I really like them a lot.

I've got about 500 miles on the bike, half with the grip puppies.

Some people cut some length off of the puppies but it isn't necessary. You can trim them after installation if you're careful.
TX_Fred106 likes this.
Fly-Sig is offline  
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 03:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: North Central WV
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have the cheap grip warmers that look like oxfords but aren't oxfords, and I threw on some generic Grip Puppies from amazon a few weeks ago. (~$11). I pulled off the bar ends and thought to myself...naw, I don't need to put more threadlocker in there!

And then I lost the throttle-side bar end on a long ride. Roops.

The grip-puppies do NOT, in my opinion, decrease vibration. What they DO is increase the circumference and give you a squishier hand-grip, which means you don't have to hold it as tightly or apply as much pressure to do what you want to do. I'm happy with them.

I do NOT notice any less vibration on the clutch side (still has its bar end) than I do on the throttle side.

I looked for replacement bar ends...and was not impressed by the price.
AdventureSeeker is offline  
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 03:50 PM
Member
 
TX_Fred106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I just finished a 500 mile road trip today and can tell you the knock-off foam grip covers from Amazon do help with hand fatigue. They are about half the cost of Grip Puppies and do the same thing. If you decide to get them wait until they're on to trim them with a razor blade. Fred

Mood is a state of mind. Having a bad day? Change your mind!
TX_Fred106 is offline  
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 06:59 PM
Member
 
kawdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ron,

I'm sorry, I've got grip buddies and not puppies! Grip buddies were sold for bmw's and have velcro so you CAN put them on w/o taking ends off

Grip buddies are sweet. The puppies are probably alright too, but you probably will have to take the ends off. And Grip Buddies are GEL, so your heated grips or elements (w/gel grips on top) will go through.

Get the heated grip elements (with a continuous dial control) and gel grips for the heated grip options. It took me a lot of trial and error to figure that one out. And the grip buddies are gel too (don't know about grip puppies) so both will heat up fine (with dial continuous controls anyway - buttons are too hot or not enough, never just right!)
kawdog is offline  
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,351
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
...And The Hand guards, assuming you have to pull the bar ends out, does it increase vibes?

Thanks!
I put Zeta guards on both my '08 and '09 Vs, which necessitated removing the bar-ends. Over a TOTAL of 95,400 miles between them, I had NO issues w/ vibes in my bars.

On my '15 my hands were getting uncomfortable, so I loosened the mounts a BIT, then turned the bars about 10 or 15 degrees TOWARDS me - hands are now good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09670 copy.JPG (269.5 KB, 65 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-02-2015 at 09:13 PM.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 10:34 PM
Member
 
twowheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,343
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
O.k, so since I went into Panic mode and almost decided to sell my new bike after I ran it up in the RPMS and got nasty vibes, it has subsided some. (as many of you said it would!) I anticpate it to subside a bit more as Im now sitting at only 225 miles on it. It has certainly smoothed considerably in the 4 range, and some in the 5 range.
This brings me to the question.. I read these help vibes and have read a few of you on here have these grips. Do they help much? Comfort level? What about with heated grips? I dont have heated grips, and probably will do without them for the remainder of this season as I have to many expenses coming up that are a priority. But thinking down the road..

And The Hand guards, assuming you have to pull the bar ends out, does it increase vibes?

Thanks!
The biggest difference will come in how you hold the bars, not what you put on the bars. Loose grip is better than a death grip. Also what RPMs do you normally cruise at? If you change the cruising RPM by shifting up or down you can avoid the kind of vibration that makes for discomfort in the hands. I've ridden for 8 hours with no hand issues on my Versys but had immediate issues on other bikes with tingling hands. Vibration in the Versys plateaus somewhere around 5.5K Rpm.

Throttle body synchronisation that is out of whack will also cause additional vibration. All in all the Versys is a very smooth bike for a parallel twin. If you have never ridden a Harley or Victory then you have not experienced "real" vibration.
twowheels is offline  
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 12:36 AM
Member
 
kawdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I put Zeta guards on both my '08 and '09 Vs, which necessitated removing the bar-ends. Over a TOTAL of 95,400 miles between them, I had NO issues w/ vibes in my bars.

On my '15 my hands were getting uncomfortable, so I loosened the mounts a BIT, then turned the bars about 10 or 15 degrees TOWARDS me - hands are now good.
I'll look at tilting the bars, but mine w/o weights were killer shakes; AND it improved with stock oem end weights, but still was worse than before the hand guards. And theoretically, the weight is now distributed inward from the end at some proportion from the distributed weight of the handguards. I got my super heavy duty weights and picked up my inch longer screws so I could put them on today (but not put on yet.)

Plus I hold my hands closer the inside w/shorty levers so that may make some difference too (lots of variables!)

With all I've done so far, it isn't bad: but it is there. The added weights should help, but I like your solution since my wrists feel a little inward twisted now which may add non-orthoganol (right angle in all dimensions) forces making it unbalanced. That's why I always have the handlebars as a last resort.

Thanks for the 15 degree starting point! I may have done too many things at once, but I don't know any other way to get it done But it's hard to focus on one thing when you make up to 1/2 dozen changes at the same time (for me anyway.)

Last edited by kawdog; 09-03-2015 at 12:41 AM.
kawdog is offline  
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 04:14 AM
Member
 
E327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: North Ga.
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have the grip puppy knockoffs and they really help size wise. I measured and cut to length before installing them. I also have bark busters with the stock bar ends and neither of these affect vibration which in my opinion is practically nonexistent as far as bothering me is concerned. The only vibrations that ever bother me are in the mirrors at certain RPMs and that was reduced by using the heavier Aprilia mirrors.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
E327 is offline  
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
ronheater70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
ive heard that and using sand as well, the point is to make them heavier intern making them harder to get moving from vibrations, its why cheap china bars made of foil thin pipe buzz your hands to death
Thats a weird, but seemingly good idea. Thanks for the thought!
ronheater70 is offline  
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 07:25 AM
Member
 
silviefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: welches, oregon
Posts: 3,116
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Thats a weird, but seemingly good idea. Thanks for the thought!
personally i wouldnt do it... id get bar ends or new bars

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
silviefox is offline  
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
ronheater70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The biggest difference will come in how you hold the bars, not what you put on the bars. Loose grip is better than a death grip. Also what RPMs do you normally cruise at? If you change the cruising RPM by shifting up or down you can avoid the kind of vibration that makes for discomfort in the hands. I've ridden for 8 hours with no hand issues on my Versys but had immediate issues on other bikes with tingling hands. Vibration in the Versys plateaus somewhere around 5.5K Rpm.

Throttle body synchronisation that is out of whack will also cause additional vibration. All in all the Versys is a very smooth bike for a parallel twin. If you have never ridden a Harley or Victory then you have not experienced "real" vibration.
I came directly off a Buell (harley)onto this Versys, and other than lumping at Idle it was probably one of the smoothest bikes I have ever owned. This bike I call it more of a Buzz through the bars than "Vibes", Very smooth up until about 5100 rpms then very pronounced until 6100 rpm. BUT its brand new, and still breaking in.. as others have told me when I considered immediately selling the bike, it will supposedly get better, which Im banking on, and so far that seems to be true, seems I notice little improvements about every day. It sets with 290 miles on it now, and it is considerably smoother than it was with 30 miles on it.
ronheater70 is offline  
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
ronheater70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
personally i wouldnt do it... id get bar ends or new bars
I really like the idea of the bar ends AND guards. My Uly had this from the factory so I know there are ways to get to it,

As of right now, I am going to order the grip puppies this weekend.
Truck needs 4 new tires and a trip to the upper peninsula means any farkels over 50 bucks will need to wait until after I get back from Michigan.
ronheater70 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome