Easy Oil Check - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Easy Oil Check

Just saw where a fellow V owner dropped his bike checking the oil. I hate to hear this happen.

I came up with a plan when I owned my cruiser and it carries right over to the V. Buy a $.99 mirror (11 X 14 is what I use). Lean it against a wall at an angle.

Now you don't have to hold the bike straight up and squat down to see the sight gauge. Just sit on the bike normally (upright) and look down at the mirror.

I check mine as I depart and return from a ride. Takes less than 2 seconds.

Hope this helps another V owner from suffering a dropped bike while checking the oil.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:52 AM

Now that's a great idea Capt! I have to take the wife to Wally World today anyway so I will be shopping for a mirror. Thanks for the idea.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 AM

Awesome idea! Dollar Store, here I come!

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Simple but very effective and very safe for all OCR's.

Thanks CApt.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 11:08 AM

Thumbs up Awesome Idea + question...

Captain - that's a great idea... I'm going to do this as well.

Btw, I can't help but notice a clip that is on your pants that seem to go around your boots. I'm assuming this helps in not getting the pant caught in the pegs. What is it called and where can I look for one?

thanks,
-RK-
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 11:17 AM

Wow - so simply yet soo effective. I am sure you can market that as a "motorcycle oil mirror", put some rubber around the edges (to toughen it up) and sell it for 19.99 - or through aerostitch for 199.99!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foo Fighter Rider
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 11:41 AM

Nice idea but I'm curious. How do you drop your bike while checking the oil? I mean aren't you standing on that side with the sight glass?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarkay411 View Post
Btw, I can't help but notice a clip that is on your pants that seem to go around your boots. I'm assuming this helps in not getting the pant caught in the pegs. What is it called and where can I look for one?thanks,RK-
They are manufactured by Faarken and are called Biker Stirrups. They sell them at a few biker accessory shops around. They are more for the cruisers because with highway pegs and your feet out in front, your jeans can blow up your legs. I didn't have that problem but when I would dismount, my pants would hang on the top of my boots. I don't have that issue with the V since my feet are under me, but I still like em'

Make sure you get the Faarken brand as shown below: The clips are very strong and will not let go. They are kind to your denim as well.

Dont waste your money on the cheaper ones that look like this:

The Hot Leathers clips are small and weak and flopped off in the first 30 minutes.

Cheers!

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 06-06-2010 at 03:31 PM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
Nice idea but I'm curious. How do you drop your bike while checking the oil? I mean aren't you standing on that side with the sight glass?
For the record, I have never dropped a bike by checking the oil. I do know it happens and I was not going to be one to do it.

When using a sight glass, the bike must be upright and not leaning. Some choose to do this by standing on the right side of the bike and squatting down to see the oil level. My Suzuki C50 had a sight glass up under a cover so I had to kneel really low hence the mirror trick. Heavier bike than the V and it made me nervous.

The bike falls because you are balancing the bike alone, kneeling down or squatting and the bike leans left and you don't have the leverage (while kneeled) to stop it. If the kickstand was down, you might be able to catch it. If the kickstand is up....Well you know the rest of the story....

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 06-06-2010 at 03:32 PM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
For the record, I have never dropped a bike by checking the oil. I do know it happens and I was not going to be one to do it.

When using a sight glass, the bike must be upright and not leaning. Some choose to do this by standing on the right side of the bike and squatting down to see the oil level. My Suzuki C50 had a sight glass up under a cover so I had to kneel really low hence the mirror trick. Heavier bike than the V and it made me nervous.

The bike falls because you are balancing the bike alone, kneeling down or squatting and the bike leans left and you don't have the leverage (while kneeled) to stop it. If the kickstand was down, you might be able to catch it. If the kickstand is up....Well you know the rest of the story....
I was just curious how people have dropped their bikes from checking the oil. Seems like common sense to me to leave the kickstand down. I wasn't sure if people were checking the oil while sitting on the bike...which seems a little strange to me.

This is my first bike with an oil sight glass, and it seems pretty easy to me. I'll take your word that other bikes are much more difficult (I have no idea) so your mirror solution seems like a good idea.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbo75 View Post
Seems like common sense to me to leave the kickstand down...... I'll take your word that other bikes are much more difficult (I have no idea) so your mirror solution seems like a good idea.
Just because the kickstand is down does not mean it can not roll as it falls and still tip over on the left. Just be careful. To me, its not worth it to balance and look. Much easier to roll past the mirror on the way out and back.

Ride Safe!
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Make sure you get the Faarken brand as shown below: The clips are very strong and will not let go. They are kind to your denim as well.
Thanks much... i'm looking into this now
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:16 PM

THAT is one great idea.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
They are manufactured by Faarken and are called Biker Stirrups. They sell them at a few biker accessory shops around. They are more for the cruisers because with highway pegs and your feet out in front, your jeans can blow up your legs. I didn't have that problem but when I would dismount, my pants would hang on the top of my boots. I don't have that issue with the V since my feet are under me, but I still like em'

Dont waste your money on the cheaper ones that look like this:

The Hot Leathers clips are small and weak and flopped off in the first 30 minutes.

Cheers!
Kirk, this'll piss you off for sure, but I just can't help it Those little doohickys (apologies to KLR owners) have to be a regional thing, but.... I personally think they look.......

"Faarken" silly.

Are you a........

"Faarken" Harley rider??

This is too much, so I better stop........

"Faarken" around

Sorry, I really couldn't help it. Ha Ha!

V-Zee
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:39 PM

All seriousness aside, why would you use these "stirrups"?? Do you have highway pegs on your bike? Do you wear bell bottoms while riding?

Also a rear stand would keep the bike upright to check the oil, wouldn't it? I personally keep my bike on my cheap, but sturdy, Chinese Harbor Freight rear stand when I'm not riding. No chance of it ever falling over.

Also, unless the nimwit had the side stand up, the only way to drop the bike would end up having it laying on your stomach (or face). Right?

V-Zee

Last edited by VerstehenZee; 06-06-2010 at 09:45 PM.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
A rear stand makes the rear higher than the front, affecting sight glass oil level... It can also be checked while standing upright beside, or on the bike with both feet on the ground and looking down from the side if you're tall enough.
The mirror is an simple and effective method, if you happen to be beside it on the right side, and if you haven't accidently smashed it up bumping into it.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 08:30 AM

A rear stand does not raise up the rear enough to affect the oil reading.
I check mine both ways, always the same.

And you do not have to squat over to see the sight glass on the V.
All of the bikes I have owned have had sight glass windows, the V is the easiest to check out of those bikes.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 09:33 AM

Good idea~ pay no attention to the naysayers. :>)-
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 03:16 PM

How hard is it to tip it up to level, with one hand? Are we really that uncoordinated?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 03:40 PM
naz

checking the oil level is pretty simple and straight forward procedure,it doesnt worth so many opinions including mine ofc

but versys character is too radical for cowboy dressing ,its an oxymoron look imo for sure.in the end ofc its a matter of personal taste
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode