Partzilla: A complete scam? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
View Poll Results: Have you ever ordered from Partzilla?
No, never heard of/needed them before. 16 42.11%
No, I've been warned not to. 2 5.26%
No, and this post has convinced me not to. 3 7.89%
Yes, and my experience was as bad/worse than yours. 1 2.63%
Yes, though I probably won't use them again. 3 7.89%
Yes, and I'll probably use them again. 13 34.21%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Partzilla: A complete scam?

I recently made the mistake of ordering from Partzilla.com before Googling to see if they were too good to be true. I know a few people have had good luck with them, but here's the bottom line:

Do not order from Partzilla unless you can wait weeks for the part.

And are okay with a few missing parts.

My personal experience isn't that extreme, but after reading reviews online it seems like some folks have been jerked around by these clowns for 7 weeks or more.

I ordered replacement parts for my '08 Versys on Sunday, August 23. Every single part on the site showed the same indication: Ships in 1-2 days.
1-2-day-shipping.jpg
Their shipping chart puts Boston in the 2-day shipping radius. Fantastic… I can order parts and have 'em in my mechanic's hands by Wednesday or Thursday, right?

Nope.

Almost immediately, their order tracking page told a different story. By "1-2 days" they mean 3 days. Okay, no big deal. So we work on the bike over the weekend instead of riding it.
Shipping-on-Wednesday.jpg

Wednesday comes, Wednesday goes, the parts aren't shipped. I emailed their customer support and asked what the holdup was and got NO information other than "It should ship around the 3rd." (Emphasis mine.)
Shipping-next-week.jpg

Now "1-2 days" has become "nearly two weeks". And I have my doubts they'll hit even that target.

If I'd ordered from a local vendor for a bit more money (less than expedited shipping would have cost from any online retailer), I'd be fixing the bike today, inspecting it tomorrow, and riding it by Monday. Now I'll be lucky if I'm riding in September.

I've asked for (and received) a refund, but if their "1-2 days" for a refund is like their 1-2 days for shipping, I'll be disputing the transaction. Fortunately, PayPal doesn't take too kindly to false advertising.

Read for yourself.
Now that I've looked at customer experiences on Partzilla's Facebook Page, I wish I'd have done my research beforehand. Sure, they're cheap, but be prepared to wait and possibly not receive all the parts you ordered.

Last edited by Matthew Ebel; 08-27-2015 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Updated to reflect that Partzilla did issue a refund.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 10:15 AM

No, they are not as fast as an oem dealer, like Huntington Beach Honda, but they are close to the cheapest. You have to PAY for one or two day shipping UPS with anyone but a dealer. Unfortunately, I have not found a reliable Kawasaki dealer near me yet (as near as good and cheap as Huntington Beach Honda), so Partzilla is the cheapest and gets the business with me for now until I do find one.

If it's your only transportation, I'd get the 2 day express UPS: but it's not for free. Parzilla is the biggest oem parts house there is in the US, so they don't make a habit of screwing up. But they do have minimum wage workers, they evidently make mistakes, and 2 day shipping means it will be put on a truck except weekends and holidays (and doesn't mean 2 day UPS.)

And you don't count today as day one in your wait. I'm sorry, but I do not use Facebook unless forced to: so I cannot read spam by competing parts houses that are not number one. When I have time, I will probably look for a local dealer, but most are rip-offs. Lead times are hell when you are broke down and Murphy's law will always bite you on lead times. If you find a better one as cheap let me know, but if I was not picking them up from Huntington Beach Honda, their lead times would be approximately the same as Partzilla too (or more actually.)

My first time using Partzilla was something like yours, but it has not been that way since then. However, I don't use them every day, but that's my experience with them. Note, I am cheap too. I didn't see what you ordered, but unusual parts are drop shipped from the oem, so if they don't have it, no one will get it on a timely basis.

Last edited by kawdog; 08-27-2015 at 10:29 AM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, the thing that pissed me off was that the website says "Ships in 1-2 days". My priority was time, and they flat-out lie about that. If I had known that in advance, I would have never given them my money (which has been refunded now) or my time (which I can never get back again).

I would have paid for expedited shipping if they'd been honest about when the items would actually ship. But lying just to get the sale? I refuse to support that.

It's as sleazy a tactic as people who list their vehicles as "$1" on craigslist.

As for "spam from competing parts houses", I doubt it. Their other companies like boats.net get similar ****ty reviews about blatant misrepresentation and missing parts all over the web. Given my experience, I'm more inclined to believe the reviews than conspiracy theories. I don't give these companies' social media personnel that much credit, given that most of 'em don't even have a Twitter account.

We ended up sourcing all of our parts from local/regional vendors who will get them in my hands before Partzilla even estimated they'd ship. They're already en route. Lesson learned: never shop at Partzilla.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 04:06 PM

Garage
I ordered from them, it took longer than stated to get the parts. I did call them twice to see what the deal was, the first person said they should be out for delivery and the second time (a week later) was told the parts should be there on Monday (it was Friday), when I got home the parts were there (on Friday).
I was in no hurry for the parts, but did not expect it to take almost three weeks.
Partzilla was the cheapest, not the fastest, and I wasn't broken down/not riding, so I would use them again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 01:19 PM

I've ordered many times from Partzilla and Boats.net. Never a problem.

They were the cheapest.

Their delivery times were the longest.

If I want it in two days then I'll order from Dennis Kirk. Absolutely stellar shipping and customer service, bar none.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled program.
Matthew Ebel likes this.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 01:24 PM

slow but cheap

I usually order from cheapcycleparts.com
Matthew Ebel likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
…If I want it in two days then I'll order from Dennis Kirk. Absolutely stellar shipping and customer service, bar none.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
…I usually order from cheapcycleparts.com
Ooh, those are a couple I've never heard of before. I'll add 'em to my bookmarks. Thanks!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 11:01 AM

It stated "ships in 1 to 2 days"...
It didn't. If it stated 1 to 2 weeks and I could wait? Ok then.
That's all I need to know. Thanks for the heads up.

I use Motorcycle Superstore for quite a bit of stuff...really fast shipping and no issues with prices. I'm trying to like Revzilla but damn...lots of out of stock issues.

Good luck.
Matthew Ebel likes this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgb View Post
That's all I need to know. Thanks for the heads up.

I use Motorcycle Superstore for quite a bit of stuff...really fast shipping and no issues with prices. I'm trying to like Revzilla but damn...lots of out of stock issues.

Good luck.
They do that to reduce inventory carrying costs. Most web companies don't have anything unless its high moving low cost stuff. It's scary how little inventory is carried for everything on the web. What they do is drop ship from their distributors, and then the service to the customer is related to each distributor or oem.

Only DEALERS have a more intimate contact to the oem's, and that is a whole another ball of wax to deal with. You will waste up to an hour every time you walk in an oem dealer; and that is no guarantee you'll get it any faster. A dead-end is the same no matter how you get there. ymmv

Last edited by kawdog; 08-30-2015 at 01:31 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgb View Post
That's all I need to know. Thanks for the heads up…
Yeah, that was my chief annoyance. If I knew it was gonna be back-ordered, I probably still would've ordered the nonessential parts (like a new right fairing) from Partzilla and gotten the inspection-necessary parts (like the footpeg mount) from a reputable dealer. But lying to get my business? They've lost all of it.

Last edited by Matthew Ebel; 08-30-2015 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Forgot to quote whom I was replying to
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 01:41 PM
djg

What does "ships in 1-2 days" really mean? That you'll have it in 1-2 days? That they will initiate the shipping process in 1-2 days?

Anyway, I've found that ebay sellers ship really fast.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 06:04 AM

You will find the same thing with most internet sites selling OEM parts, because they don't stock most of the parts and have to order them from the manufacturer. I have order from several of them and it is always the same. The parts will ship 3 to 5 days after you place the order. As stated above, if you needs parts quickly order them from the dealer. They get shipments of parts almost daily, but if you aren't in a hurry and want to save some money use one of the internet sites.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 07:02 AM

I used Partzilla several times to order parts for a 69 Yamaha I was restoring. Many times, they were the only place where I could find the parts. They are not nearly as fast as a retailer like Revzilla - but I always got what I ordered, and generally at the lowest price.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 09:55 PM

sounds like a rip off of REVZILLA, which is a trustworthy site that I use.
Stud Muffin likes this.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofnothing View Post
sounds like a rip off of REVZILLA, which is a trustworthy site that I use.
Revzilla is 3rd party accessories only, and a good fast service.

Partzilla is ALL Jap companies OEM parts and the near cheapest in the country. But they cannot stock, so they order everything, but dealers get first priority. So although it may take a week or so to get it, it is always packed excellent and the cheapest bottom line price you can get.

If you need it quicker, try a dealer. You will spend up to an hour ordering through them and still may not get it quicker. Huntington Beach Honda was the only one with close prices and less than a week lead-time (usually.) And I liked going to the shop to see the new bikes too.

Partzilla rocks as a dependable low cost alternative with a week to 2 week lead time. Dealers have 2 week lead times on uncommon parts too, and MOST dealers can't compete with Partzilla's low price.

You can usually beat Revzilla on Amazon/ebay, but it takes time. If you want the quick service, it's low cost for quick service for 3rd party accessories, AND NOT OEM parts. I'll buy grips from them (good gel selection that I tried 3 different $15 grip hardness out to find the best for me), and I'll look at their goofy videos sometimes for items I won't buy from them, but they are not competitive on bigger ticket items. Revzilla has a 3 month restock on big ticket sale items like Givi AirFlow screens for universal bikes (for a $25 saving - I got it, ha ha, but I was lucky they had one.)

Both are good vendors, but Partzilla is a keeper since I haven't found an oem dealer for Kawasaki as good as Huntington Beach Honda for Honda parts. I'm still looking though. O/W, Partzilla is my oem Kawasaki parts dealer unless I want to pay 30% more (est.) for a possible faster lead time. I try to plan out ahead so I don't piss my local Kaw dealer off by asking prices and then not buying from him

Last edited by kawdog; 03-27-2016 at 12:40 AM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 07:38 AM

I've used Partzilla and BikeBandit for OEM parts. Both are good, Partzilla is less expensive. I've had good experiences with both.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 10:15 AM

I have ordered many parts from Partzilla numerous times and have never had a problem with my orders.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 12:45 AM

I've ordered from partzilla for a few years, never fast, lots of rescheduling, but I never order stuff I NEED from there

'82 XV920: Soon to be tracker--

--'00 KLR685:adv
--'12 Super Ténéré
--'13 Versys (wifes other bike!)
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 09:15 AM

I'm not sure what kind of dealers everyone is trying to stay away from, But living in 4 states in my lifetime, and more than few areas within those states, I have Never been to a dealer where it took more than 10 minutes to get my order placed (not counting standing in line behind someone buying oil or something). I prefer the dealerships, I like the atmosphere, and most importantly, I have a direct line of assault should something be wrong.. No Emails, or phone calls, just show up and get it taken care of.

I don't rule out ordering a farkle, or cheap replacement part from behind my computer screen, but any OEM stuff I need or want, and a lot of non oem stuff, I just go to a dealer. Now, if I had to travel an hour to a dealer it would be different I suppose, but I suppose Im blessed, I've never been more than 30 minutes from a dealer and that's living in the sticks.

Last edited by ronheater70; 03-30-2016 at 09:18 AM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 01:13 AM

Garage
I wondered if RevZilla & PartZilla were related.

They definitely are not, and RevZilla tried to stop them using the PartZilla.com name

RevZilla failed RevZilla Motorsports LLC v Tom Dazevedo

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode