Gas Cap Problem - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gas Cap Problem

As of late I've been noticing a bit of gas seeping through the key slot of my filler cap. I suppose someday all the lube will be washed out of the tumblers and the cap's paint will be gone. I have to wipe the key off before I reinsert it in the ignition to prevent problems there. I generally fill up to the metal plate at the bottom of the filler neck. (sometimes more). Anybody else have this going on? My previous two Kaws had the same cap but no leakage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
As of late I've been noticing a bit of gas seeping through the key slot of my filler cap. I suppose someday all the lube will be washed out of the tumblers and the cap's paint will be gone. I have to wipe the key off before I reinsert it in the ignition to prevent problems there. I generally fill up to the metal plate at the bottom of the filler neck. (sometimes more). Anybody else have this going on? My previous two Kaws had the same cap but no leakage.
Mine also seems to do it not only after I fill the tank but it seems to also splash around during a ride (strong Oder of fuel). I just spray some houdini lubricant in the gas cap key slot after a ride and so far no problems.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Now that I think about it. Is that gas cap the only vent? Is it a vent at all? My last two Kaws had carbs. (ZRX, ZZR).

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 06:55 AM

I think that if I were you I'd put less fuel in the tank and see if it still happens. Also, fuel will expand with heat so if you park in the sun the fuel which has nowhere to go, if you fill to the brim, and it will be looking for any escape route. I believe that the cap has a built in vent. It's a potentially dangerous situation so I'd definitely see my dealer about it.

"life is not a dress rehearsal"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 06:58 AM

I drive a wonderful 2007 Hyundai Sonata....love the car in all ways. but, it ain't perfect.
Had to go see the dealer cuz the power lock on the drivers door was acting kinda 'wiggy'.
Dealer replaced the switch....problem solved.
It happens....complicated machines are ...complicated.

It's a constant source of amazement to me that all the gazillions of cars, trucks, bikes, boats etc etc etc built every year world wide ,roll of there assembly lines completely fault proof...IMHO personal transportation devises ; for better or worse, are a miracle of engineering and testament to mans creativity and ingenuity. Just as surely as is Puccini's "Tosca", Da Vinci's 'Mona Lisa, or Aaron Copland's "Appalachian Spring".
( think of it this way...for every single nut, bolt, washer, fuel tank filler cap seal, table spoon, 'do-hickey' there's a drawing or 'spec' sitting in a drawer or computer file somewhere that someone had to make so the simplest of things can be made! It boggles the mind that any of it works at all).

So, It may just be a faulty seal. I'd say go see the dealer. cuz sometimes 'chit' just happens.
(something that we all hate to acknowledge on something we are so fond of).

And stop overfilling..for petes sakes. LOL wink wink wink.

OK...I'll shut up know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 06-06-2010 at 07:05 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLANDER1089 View Post
I think that if I were you I'd put less fuel in the tank and see if it still happens. Also, fuel will expand with heat so if you park in the sun the fuel which has nowhere to go, if you fill to the brim, and it will be looking for any escape route. I believe that the cap has a built in vent. It's a potentially dangerous situation so I'd definitely see my dealer about it.
the gas vents out the tube on the left side of the bike if you over fill the tank and the heat makes the fuel expand. I am talking about when riding with a half tank of gas . I can smell the fuel I cant do that on any other bike I own. I think the fuel splashes around and gets into the lock mechanism .
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
the gas vents out the tube on the left side of the bike if you over fill the tank and the heat makes the fuel expand. I am talking about when riding with a half tank of gas . I can smell the fuel I cant do that on any other bike I own. I think the fuel splashes around and gets into the lock mechanism .
I have to make sure my vent tube is clear and un-kinked. It does it even from well less than full. There is a labyrinth in the cap. And Stagehand, thanks for the words o' wisdom. (I think).
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

I checked the vent and drainage lines, all clear, no kinks. I put a little W-D in the key hole. I probably over filled the tank and got gas in the labyrinth ( I have seen inside a cap before) and this is what I see seeping out. I'll refrain from stuffing the tank on long trips in the future though I stuffed other bikes and all it did when it expanded was come out the drain hose.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 10:26 PM

Keyhole damage!

My vent tube works perfectly and I've had the bike sitting with 1/4 tank of gas for the past couple weeks. I just went out and checked the gas cap and the key hole is crusty with oxidation/white powder. Completely encrusted. I've never seen this happen before. Yikes!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy View Post
My vent tube works perfectly and I've had the bike sitting with 1/4 tank of gas for the past couple weeks. I just went out and checked the gas cap and the key hole is crusty with oxidation/white powder. Completely encrusted. I've never seen this happen before. Yikes!
So, I guess I'm lucky. This is strange.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy View Post
I wonder if it might be a reaction to the ethanol in the gasoline??? I always try to avoid the ethanol additive around here but that probably is not possible in CA.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 05:51 PM
DBL

Knock on wood, but I have not seen this on my '10 and there is no smell of gas or any signs of leakage. I bought the bike brand new on 4-21-10 and have around 1350 miles so far. The bike has seen very little rain and is kept in my shed when I am not riding it. Maybe it's only your bike or only affects older models. Hopefully, enough people will chime in so you can compare. As far as how much gas I put in, I stop the pump as soon as I see gas getting close to the bottom of the filler neck and this is with the bike leaning left on the kickstand. I usually fill up when there is only 1 bar left on the fuel gauge and have never seen it flash nor the word FUEL show up either. Most I ever put in was just about 4 gallons but average around 3 1/2. I have owned several bikes in the past, mostly dual sports, and having the smell of gas right there is very annoying, so I know how you feel. I am so glad this is not happening on my Versys and hope it turns out to be an isolated (correctable) incident. How old is the bike and how many miles does it have?

Last edited by DBL; 06-09-2010 at 10:14 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Mine is a 2009 Green. I can smell the gas only if I put my nose right on it. The key slot looks a little moist but the key is damp when I pull it out. I do have a tendency to fill over the plate in the neck to avoid leaving humid air in the tank. On my next few rides I'll not fill it as much and see what happens. But like I said, I've done it the same with all my bikes and only this one leaks. I'd go to the dealer but don't want the hassle. If it continues I'll take the cap off and remove any gas inside.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJim View Post
I wonder if it might be a reaction to the ethanol in the gasoline??? I always try to avoid the ethanol additive around here but that probably is not possible in CA.
I use a gas station by my house that advertises that there is no ethanol in their gas . If I don't spray the lubricant in the gas cap key slot I get the white milky looking liquid.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:02 PM

I've had my V for about a year now, just over 5000 miles, and I have never seen that white crusty my cap or key hole thru all levels of fuel in the tank while parked. Key hole is still clean like it was on the show room floor. I have also never smelled gas. I have heard the cap vent when hot after a ride a few time though.
The possible diff., my bike is always put in the shed under roof, has never been left out over night. Are the people seeing this on the key slots parking out side? Just a thought.

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:43 PM

Hi Randy49,

You thought might be right.

I'll notice after a shower or a bike wash there remains water trapped around the petrol cap. Now I see the my vent looks chocked.

Using WD-40. Not only in the key hole but lube where the key turns. No issues so far.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 05:05 AM

my bike is stored inside and after I finish a ride if it was raining I always wipe it down . There is no rust on my cap and the vent is not clogged . It is not a bike deal to me just something I noticed .
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That's just oxidation, mostly from condensation on the aluminum and dissimilar metals... It just needs occasional lubrication with some light metal protectant, then wipped clean.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
That's just oxidation, mostly from condensation on the aluminum and dissimilar metals... It just needs occasional lubrication with some light metal protectant, then wipped clean.
Just something I noticed not really that much of a big deal . The locksmith recommend Houdini as a lubricant http://www.landlordlocks.com/accessories/ seems to help the problem alot.

Last edited by turn8a; 06-10-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode