help.. i lost rebound adjust. after changing oil - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
help.. i lost rebound adjust. after changing oil

hi,
i took my forks apart to clean and change oil, and i can't move the rebound adjuster now.

i think the problem is in the adjustment of the two nuts right above my tool that has the green tape on it.

i'm thinking that bottom nut needs to be in the right place when installing the cap ???? i did move that bottom nut down to get a tool threaded on, and don't know right where to put it back.

i'm i suppose to have the preload & rebound adjusters in a certain place when putting back together ?

DAVE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rebound 002.JPG (85.2 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by dhauch; 06-05-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

okay, i figured out i need to back off the adjusters before i put it back together, and it worked.

only question now is, i don't know where to have the jam nut located on the threaded end.

i talked to a guy that works on Triumph's, and he said they set that nut 11mm from the end.

anyone know where these need to be ?

thx,
dave
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 07:37 PM

you turn the rebound adjuster all the way in on the cap, then install the cap, when it gently meets resistance, stop turning the cap and run the nut up and secure it to the cap.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Stock fork rebound adjustment range is 0-3 turns out. Fork cap has to be backed out by almost 3 turns from screwed all the way in (10.5 turns screwed in on the rod) to give rebound damping adjuster 3 turns of adjustment range. I set mine at 11 turns out for a range of 2.75 turns... Set both forks equally, as it affects initial spring preload and extended fork length.

Last edited by invader; 06-06-2010 at 03:45 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomla View Post
you turn the rebound adjuster all the way in on the cap, then install the cap, when it gently meets resistance, stop turning the cap and run the nut up and secure it to the cap.
not sure i follow.

with the cap in your hand, you can turn the rebound screw WAY down into the cap.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

okay, i think i'm getting somewhere.

i took a guess and set the jam nut at 14mm, this gave me only 2 1/4 turns on the rebound adjuster.

Invader your measuring how many turns your turning the cap on, so i'm guessing your jam nut is around 15mm to 16mm.

i'll check how many turns my cap is, and where the jam nut is to give me the 3 turns on the rebound adjuster then.

looks like i need to move the jam nut up some then right ?

thx for your help guys.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 10:46 PM

Dave - the important measurement to get the rebound damper screw engaged is that it has to stick out from the top of the fork cap only 1.5mm before you screw the cap in. The exact number of turns you set the cap at or the distance of the jam nut from the top of the rod is not critical to this adjustment.

The distance you set the jam nut will affect the initial preload the spring sees, as invader mentions. The higher up you set it the lower the initial compression on the spring will be.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhauch View Post
okay, i think i'm getting somewhere.

i took a guess and set the jam nut at 14mm, this gave me only 2 1/4 turns on the rebound adjuster.

Invader your measuring how many turns your turning the cap on, so i'm guessing your jam nut is around 15mm to 16mm.

i'll check how many turns my cap is, and where the jam nut is to give me the 3 turns on the rebound adjuster then.

looks like i need to move the jam nut up some then right ?

thx for your help guys.
3 turns of rebound ajustment is possible with the cap (top plug) screwed in by about 10.75 turns onto the piston rod. Set both caps at exactly the same amount of turns in, then tighten the lock nut up onto it. You can then verify that adjustment screw can turn out enough to allow adjustment (stock range is 0-3 turns). Besides spring preload, extended fork length and axle alignment upon reassembly are also affected... Setting the cap with the adjuster screw sticking out 1.5 mm would allow about 3 turns of adjustment. You do however want to avoid tightening the adjuster rod tip onto its seat to gauge yourself, and even more by tightening the cap down onto its lock nut.
You're actually just fine with 2.25 turns of adjustment, as long as it's set equally on both forks. I never need more than one turn out on rebound damping anyway.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Invader;

when your turning the cap in the 10.75 turns, where do you have rebound adjuster at in the cap ?

does it matter where the rebound is set when putting this back together ?
i had mine backed all the way out.

dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
3 turns of rebound ajustment is possible with the cap (top plug) screwed in by about 10.75 turns onto the piston rod. Set both caps at exactly the same amount of turns in, then tighten the lock nut up onto it. You can then verify that adjustment screw can turn out enough to allow adjustment (stock range is 0-3 turns). Besides spring preload, extended fork length and axle alignment upon reassembly are also affected... Setting the cap with the adjuster screw sticking out 1.5 mm would allow about 3 turns of adjustment. You do however want to avoid tightening the adjuster rod tip onto its seat to gauge yourself, and even more by tightening the cap down onto its lock nut.
You're actually just fine with 2.25 turns of adjustment, as long as it's set equally on both forks. I never need more than one turn out on rebound damping anyway.

Last edited by dhauch; 06-06-2010 at 08:51 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 07:06 PM

It doesn't matter what the adjustment screw is at if you're counting how many tuns the cap is screwed onto the piston rod... Having the adjustment screw backed all the way out is fine, as long as you don't screw the cap all the way in and have the damping adjuster rod tip bottomed out on damping cartridge seat. You have 2.25 turns of adjustment, so you didn't bottom it out and you have sufficient adjustment range.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Thx bud!

dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
It doesn't matter what the adjustment screw is at if you're counting how many tuns the cap is screwed onto the piston rod... Having the adjustment screw backed all the way out is fine, as long as you don't screw the cap all the way in and have the damping adjuster rod tip bottomed out on damping cartridge seat. You have 2.25 turns of adjustment, so you didn't bottom it out and you have sufficient adjustment range.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 11:07 AM

Thanks invader

Invader,

Curious...is this info in the manual? I've scoured it to find the info you shared in this thread, but only found reference in Section 13-13 of 2010+ V650 manual stating to screw damper rod nut all the way down. What you share is consistent with photos of OEM assembly (damper nut about 1/8" from bottoming out). If not in the manual, this seems like an important oversight in the service instructions; and how did you figure it out?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode