well hit 5300 rpm, I know longer like the bike. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
well hit 5300 rpm, I know longer like the bike.

So I have now roughly 130 miles on the bike, I may sell it.
The bike hit 5300 rpms and its like riding a joy buzzer. strong vibes in pegs, bars and seat. I cant possibly imagine being on the road for hours like this. Its nice and smooth till it gets in the 5 range.
Shame.. I researched the bike before I got it and understood the vibe issue, and even rode it but didn't experience anything that would kill the deal.. If I cant remedy this to a degree fast, I will part with the bike and look at something comparable. Love performance and handling.

Sorry about the "know" in the title.. I was going a different direction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
hahahahahaahaahahahahaha

Ride it some more - it will grow on you.

It's a motorcycle - it's SUPPOSED to vibrate.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yeah it needs to be broken in and wound up to 10,500 rpm a few times at least... Change the oil now, then switch to synthetic by 2000 miles. It'll keep improving for a while.

If you seek the ultimate in smoothness out of a 650:

http://powersports.honda.com/2015/cb...ns/engine.aspx

Last edited by invader; 08-26-2015 at 09:01 AM.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
So I have now roughly 130 miles on the bike, I may sell it.
The bike hit 5300 rpms and its like riding a joy buzzer. strong vibes in pegs, bars and seat. I cant possibly imagine being on the road for hours like this. Its nice and smooth till it gets in the 5 range.
Shame.. I researched the bike before I got it and understood the vibe issue, and even rode it but didn't experience anything that would kill the deal.. If I cant remedy this to a degree fast, I will part with the bike and look at something comparable. Love performance and handling.

Sorry about the "know" in the title.. I was going a different direction
I'll give you $5 for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
hahahahahaahaahahahahaha

Ride it some more - it will grow on you.

It's a motorcycle - it's SUPPOSED to vibrate.
Shush, I'm trying to work a deal here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 08:56 AM

Most of my V's vibes are in the 3500 to 4500 rpm range, depending on the load and throttle position.

My '08 V engine really smooths out at around 5000 rpm, on up to 8000 rpm. I cruise all day in the 5000 to 5500 rpm range. Really smooth. [I have added one tooth to the front sprocket.]
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 08:57 AM

Classic case of buyers remorse.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
give it 1000 miles and it will be far far better trust me

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 09:00 AM

As the others have said, it's not even anywhere near broken in yet. It'll get better. It'll also get better if you adjust the chain, I was amazed how much smoother mine got after 1k miles and a chain adjustment.

But, you know, to each their own. Look at something shaft drive if vibrations bother you.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
give it 1000 miles and it will be far far better trust me
I honestly may not make it that long. The only saving grace is that I am not planning any long trips for the next 3-5 weeks because of other travels. I almost came of the bike when that buzz hit. Like I said, i REALLY enjoy riding the bike..
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
As the others have said, it's not even anywhere near broken in yet. It'll get better. It'll also get better if you adjust the chain, I was amazed how much smoother mine got after 1k miles and a chain adjustment.

But, you know, to each their own. Look at something shaft drive if vibrations bother you.
The Chain was silly tight from the dealership. I know they stretch a bit, But I loosened it after only 10 miles. That being said I have been on chain driven bikes for 40 years (and one belt and 2 shafties) and I don't recall the chain ever being a source of vibration?

So this thing just basically needs to loosen up a bit and the vibes will decrease some. I understand 130 miles is far from broken in, but how much better can it get?
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I honestly may not make it that long. The only saving grace is that I am not planning any long trips for the next 3-5 weeks because of other travels. I almost came of the bike when that buzz hit. Like I said, i REALLY enjoy riding the bike..
It's a motorcycle. You need a Prius.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 09:22 AM

Cool

Quote:
The Chain was silly tight from the dealership. I know they stretch a bit, But I loosened it after only 10 miles. That being said I have been on chain driven bikes for 40 years (and one belt and 2 shafties) and I don't recall the chain ever being a source of vibration?

So this thing just basically needs to loosen up a bit and the vibes will decrease some. I understand 130 miles is far from broken in, but how much better can it get?
Which is more annoying to you - the vibes or the buzzing?

If it's the buzzing, please see the sticky thread on the many fixes out there. The biggest one being where the fairing hits the top of the headlight on the 1st gen.

Which gen V do you have?

A vertical twin with a 180 degree crankshaft (like the V) will naturally have some buzz to it at certain rpms, due to a "rocking couple" produced by the pistons.

But no vibes at cruising speed is fine by me.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
Which is more annoying to you - the vibes or the buzzing?

If it's the buzzing, please see the sticky thread on the many fixes out there. The biggest one being where the fairing hits the top of the headlight on the 1st gen.

Which gen V do you have?

A vertical twin with a 180 degree crankshaft (like the V) will naturally have some buzz to it at certain rpms, due to a "rocking couple" produced by the pistons.

But no vibes at cruising speed is fine by me.
I have a 2014..The buzzing I did not notice as I believe the vibes to be distorting my eardrums to some degree.. if its just a buzzing, Yes I have read about that and ways to address it, this is Vibes.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
It's a motorcycle. You need a Prius.
As someone who has enjoyed many MANY bikes over the last 40 years.. I have to say I am actually looking at Prius, but not to replace any bike!
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I have a 2014..The buzzing I did not notice as I believe the vibes to be distorting my eardrums to some degree.. if its just a buzzing, Yes I have read about that and ways to address it, this is Vibes.
If it is vibrating enough to distort your eardrums - then you should take it to your dealer, have him ride it, and determine if something is terribly wrong with your new bike. Seriously.
silviefox likes this.
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 09:52 AM

A "pry-us"?
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
where is the vibration affecting you most? hands feet ass spine so on, also what kind of riding are you doing IE highway city twistys?
what is your riding style IE throttle style, granny slow or aggressive or somewere between??

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Hands and feet mostly.. I probably do 75% of my riding at speeds of 60 MPH or less, however just for giggles I took it up to about 70 and was quickly enlightened as to a fun spirited engine but a numbing vibration as well over 5..
It seems that if Im on the throttle not much Vibes, but light steady throttle mainitaining speed and it Vibes. I am still breaking it In, so It may calm down over 5300 or so.. But I havent ran it that high yet.
I hate to get rid of a bike that fits my size and style so well, seems the general consensus is that as it gets more miles on it it will loosen up a bit and the vibes may subside a bit.
AdamG likes this.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 11:14 AM

Chained bikes are an art. You usually figure them out after you replace your first chain and sprockets.

If you are not spray cleaning and spray lubing your chains with a towel every couple of rides, you should start before your chain/sprockets need replacing.

Vibrations come and go with everything you do to a sports bike, especially at the handlebar control end: my 2012 was smooth as glass oem stock. The Vs. 650 CAN smooth out in most cases. What year is yours?

Good luck!
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Hands and feet mostly.. I probably do 75% of my riding at speeds of 60 MPH or less, however just for giggles I took it up to about 70 and was quickly enlightened as to a fun spirited engine but a numbing vibration as well over 5..
It seems that if Im on the throttle not much Vibes, but light steady throttle mainitaining speed and it Vibes. I am still breaking it In, so It may calm down over 5300 or so.. But I havent ran it that high yet.
I hate to get rid of a bike that fits my size and style so well, seems the general consensus is that as it gets more miles on it it will loosen up a bit and the vibes may subside a bit.
Ron, you are missing the magic of this bike! The midrange cam kicks in about 6k rpm. Bump it up a little and see what you've been missing. It smooths out REAL nice at 6k rpm and above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode