TRYING to change the '15 shock to an R1... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
TRYING to change the '15 shock to an R1...

I REALLY liked the R1 shock on my recently "retired" '09, so I removed it before the GREEN HORNET was written-off, and got out my SERVICE MANUAL on the 15th, to see about changing the '15 shock out. It's 'funny' how what appears to be just several lines of instruction, turned into removing MOST of the bike!

First up was to remove the gas-tank (after removing the front fairings...)

You can see that the airbox is different

but at this point I didn't open it to check out the filter.

NEXT thing to remove is MOST of the rear-fender stuff

and, to get at the wire-connectors for the tail/ turn/ brake lights you need to reach into this piece (since removed from MINE!)

as it is a PITA, reaching in there (and MY hands are NOT big...)!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Will be able to adapt the adjustment knob from the stocker? that would sell me immediately.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thumbs down

Next in the 'list' is the under-tray for the ECU

which was MUCH easier than it was when I removed my '08 ECU...!

BTW - Kawasaki has replaced the 'resin' fuel fitting w/ a steel one that is MUCH easier to get the fuel line OFF and back ON, altho' (I guess, to save money) the fuel-line is almost TOO short (as are ALL the wires, etc, on my '15), and now there is only ONE connector for electrics instead of two.

Here's the rear-view of the shock, showing how it is 'tortuously' wrapped around all manner of stuff, causing the necessity to take the bike apart to get at it....

The battery box has to come out, so here are the relays apart

and the battery box out.

Here's the remote preload adjuster 'freed' from its imprisonment,

and my attempt at seeing whether it could be routed better

then supporting the rear to remove the shock...

then TRYING to install the R1 shock.

I was NOT about to cut the bracket for the remote adjuster off the frame (the ONLY way to mount the R1 shock, it appears...) in case it STILL wouldn't clear things, so I just reversed all the work I'd just done (probably about six hours worth), the R1 shock back on the bench (ANYONE looking for an R1 shock w/ a 13.8 kg/mm spring - I'm about 195 to 200 ATGATT...?), but I opened the airbox to see that the filter is now a "replace-ONLY" paper element.

All-in-all, I posted this to help others make their decision on whether it'd be worth it to change the shock on the '15s....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulff81 View Post
Will be able to adapt the adjustment knob from the stocker? that would sell me immediately.
Sorry. I'm not clear on what you're saying: put the attachment knob onto the R1 shock?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 05:25 PM

Garage
The factory Preload hand adjustment knob that sticks out of the side of the bike.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sounds like the day would have been better spent pounding your thumb with a hmmer.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

The R1 shock has the fluid in that large circular piece that would 'foul' the bracket, so - NO - unable to adapt.

Here are the "instructions" on changing the shock on the '15:

Looks PRETTY easy, TILL you start going to those OTHER parts of the SERVICE MANUAL, ehich 'tend' to complicate things a LITTLE...!

About the ONLY thing I skipped was the bit about locking the front brake lever....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
Sounds like the day would have been better spent pounding your thumb with a hmmer.
I agree, but I thought that maybe SOMEONE on the forum would benefit from seeing what's involved BEFORE they try the same job....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 04:30 PM

Somebody had to be first
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 04:41 PM

You did an excellent Show-and-Tell on rear disassembly that I'm sure will help others and yes, you are the first.

2008 Ninja 250
2009 KLR 650
2015 Versys 1000 LT

Bob
Menasha, WI
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 08:35 PM

I was gong to due the r1 shock as a friend just gave me one for free. may have to rethink this.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 08:37 PM

Another example of "the large print giveth & the small print taketh away".
When I had to coat the inside of the gas tank of my GL1000 the manual described an hours work...later the NEXT evening I think I pulled everything but the oil drain plug.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

R1 Shock, some minor retrofitting only.

Last edited by Fastoman; 08-26-2015 at 01:53 AM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

No major work needed ... just remove ori shock and slot in. Require some bushing and washers.

Used back original spring as R1 spring was too soft...

Last edited by Fastoman; 08-26-2015 at 02:06 AM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

Some Bush.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post

R1 Shock, some minor retrofitting only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
No major work needed ... just remove ori shock and slot in. Require some bushing and washers.

Used back original spring as R1 spring was too soft...
Fastoman - I BELIEVE you must have missed the part where this thread is about TRYING to install an R1 shock into the 2015 V650 which has a TOTALLY different shock set-up than in your '09. FWIW - I have installed several R1 shocks into PRE-2015 Vs....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 10:29 PM

take a grinder with a cutting disc.

cut off the tab!!! cut it off!!!!

why not?

it is very unlikely you would want to revert to stock shock after using the R1 shock.

but in the event you are going back to stocker before selling off the bike hey, a generous slab of steel epoxy would fit the tab back in no time!

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Fastoman - I BELIEVE you must have missed the part where this thread is about TRYING to install an R1 shock into the 2015 V650 which has a TOTALLY different shock set-up than in your '09. FWIW - I have installed several R1 shocks into PRE-2015 Vs....

Thanks for the head up.....Just shared another view of R1 shock installation.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
take a grinder with a cutting disc.

cut off the tab!!! cut it off!!!!

why not?

it is very unlikely you would want to revert to stock shock after using the R1 shock.

but in the event you are going back to stocker before selling off the bike hey, a generous slab of steel epoxy would fit the tab back in no time!
I didn't think about epoxying the tab back, so I MIGHT just do that.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 10:11 AM

You actually might.
Most wouldn't. Thanks for sharing!

I brought my stock shock down to the shop to help a stranded rider on an '09 "Green Hornet" yesterday. The blown shock- R1. Mileage and provenance unknown, which is kinda the way it goes with a salvage shock I guess. The shop time to swap the shock- .5 Hr. But I'll bet the original modder had a lot more time than that into the original swap. I've read the threads, guys struggle for weeks with this. If it's so easy, and it might be once you've done it a few times, you guys should do a kit! But no warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode