12k service - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up 12k service

Hi, I just rolled over 12k on my 08 kle and alls well. No problems.

I was looking at the 12 service and it looks like the only thing it realy requires is an oil, filter and sparkplug change. plus a lot of inspections.

I am old school and from the school of thought that if it is not broke don't fix it. the manuel has a real detailed procedure of takeing the bike apart and inspecting the head and inspecting the Valve clearance.

Is this realy nessesary at 12k miles.

any thoughts.

jt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 07:06 PM
naz

other fellows reported valve clearances to be on limits in shorter mileage.especially the exaust ones.if you want to be sure check them ,you cant go wrong.if i were in such dilemma i would sure check em cause i like thinks to be done correct,at least the 1st time .european models as mine refer to valve clearance check every 48k kilometers though...its up to you.
i would proly change the radiator glycol-water and the brake fluids in two years period (very easy and cheap tasks) but thats just me.

Last edited by naz; 06-05-2010 at 04:39 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 07:16 AM

Check em at 12, why? Well it has been my experiance (with many different brands of motorcycles) that the first one is where the majority of the time the Exhaust valves need a tweek. Then it seems ... for whatever reason... they stay in adjustment longer after that one. My experiance YMV

AMA EAA STN

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettexas View Post

I was looking at the 12 service and it looks like the only thing it realy requires is an oil, filter and sparkplug change. plus a lot of inspections.

I am old school and from the school of thought that if it is not broke don't fix it. the manuel has a real detailed procedure of takeing the bike apart and inspecting the head and inspecting the Valve clearance.

any thoughts.

jt
Valve adjustments really are not that hard to do.

Valve clearances usually end up closing or get tighter over time until there is no clearance at all. If you wait until it's broken (burning a valve) the repair cost is going to be expensive.

Hotcams makes shim kits that are about $80. Or you can just take used shims to your dealer to swap out for the ones you need.

Good luck.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 11:22 PM

I hate to point out the obvious, but the 12K service is a minor inspection - check hoses and fluid levels and that's about it. The sort of stuff you do (or at least should do) every time you go on a ride. The valve clearance inspection and oil change are not due until you hit the 15K mile mark. But, You could do the valve inspection early if you want to be safe. Based on the results reported here (mine included), many bikes have tight valves by the time they get to 15K.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
A bit confused as to what units you guys are referening too. Is it Kilometers or miles. Mine is 10K kilometres and does it require all those valve clearance check.

The V is good to go anytime and I change oil and filter every 5K Kilometer.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
They're in miles... Valve clearance inspection is recommended at every 15K mile (24K Km), but I already had an exhaust valve clearance just below minimum spec at 7200 Km (4500 miles), so I set all my inlet clearances at 0.18 mm and all my exhaust clearances at 0.26 mm. We'll see how they do in the long run...

Last edited by invader; 06-10-2010 at 05:05 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
I hate to point out the obvious, but the 12K service is a minor inspection - check hoses and fluid levels and that's about it. The sort of stuff you do (or at least should do) every time you go on a ride. The valve clearance inspection and oil change are not due until you hit the 15K mile mark. But, You could do the valve inspection early if you want to be safe. Based on the results reported here (mine included), many bikes have tight valves by the time they get to 15K.

Gustavo
That's good to know. My ZZR-1200 valve adjustment intervals were every 7500 miles but it was very easy to adjust. The ZX14 valve adjustment intervals are every 15,000 miles but the cams have to be removed, then the lifters taken out to get to the shims for replacement, most guys do not need to adjust anything on the first 15,000 mile check.

So my question, do the cams need to be taken out to adjust valves on the Versys? Is it a time consuming project or a piece of cake?

The nice thing about engines, is that over time,. once everything in the engine is fully seated it will reach a point where valve clearances no longer change much at all, and if they do it's very minor.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettexas View Post

any thoughts.

jt
I also just rolled over 12, and I am only doing the oil/filter. I am going to spring for a new washer this time. I don't plan on a plug change until I hit 20K, I don't think it is necessary. Starts as good as ever, doesn't miss. This is not a high maintenance machine, so why make it one?

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:15 AM

Im due for a 24k kms check soon, is this a biggy?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 07:21 PM

The 2010 Owners Manual says to check the valve clearance every 42,000km (26,250 miles.) It is not required until then.

See page 81 of the manual below (page 83 of pdf)

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...8&d=1275828552
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
The 2010 Owners Manual says to check the valve clearance every 42,000km (26,250 miles.) It is not required until then.

See page 81 of the manual below (page 83 of pdf)

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...8&d=1275828552
I just loaded the PDF and wow, that is just awesome!!!

Page 81 Valve adjustments every 42,000 (26,250).
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:22 PM

Since the valve train is the same as all the previous bikes I see no reason to check mine before 26K; of course, I didn't intend to anyway!! :>)-
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1 View Post
So my question, do the cams need to be taken out to adjust valves on the Versys? Is it a time consuming project or a piece of cake?
Yes, like all shim-under-bucket designs, you have to remove the cams and buckets to get to the shims. It's not complicated if you have done valve adjustments before, but it is time consuming, because you have to take off everything that sits on top of the engine.

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=8139.0

Gustavo

Last edited by Gustavo; 06-07-2010 at 11:54 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
That is the interval that Kawasaki had listed for the European market bikes. But, given that most seem to be right up (or under) the lower limit at or before 15K, I am not sure I'd wait that long for the first inspection, even if the 2010 owner's manual says 26K miles.

Gustavo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode