Lots of noises - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lots of noises

So I am a MOTGATT kinda guy. Helmet gloves jacket and pants every time I ride. However, I live in lovely NH where a helmet is optional, and I went out to fill my tank (.5 miles from the house) without a helmet. It is the first time I have ridden without a helmet on this bike, and I noticed a lot of scary noises while I was riding. sounded like the chain was grinding on the sprocket brakes were "scuffy" and louder than I thought. The fairing buzz was deafening, and the engine sounded awful. So upon going home I looked the bike over and every thing look normal. I put my helmet on and took a short ride and things were back to "normal".
So I guess my question is has anyone else experienced this, or is it just me being paranoid and used to the sounds in the helmet? I regularly oil the chain my pads have 4k miles on them and look fine. oil is good etc. etc. Bike sounds fine idling...

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:19 AM

I heard a chain-rub brake noise as I was heading down the freeway awhile back. I had my helmet on. I pulled off and looked over the bike and all seemed normal. I felt uneasy for a few miles, but didn't hear the sound again for a few months. Bike has performed fine, but for the life of me, I can't find anything wrong.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 11:04 AM

I came off a Uly that was exactly the opposite. With the helmet on, I could hear all kinds of rattles, ticking, pinging, etc from the engine at certain RPMS over the last 3.5 years. However riding it around without a helmet on in an attempt to diagnose it, it never made a peep. Even sitting still reving it. It ended up being alarming enough, that after 3.5 years I parted with it and here I am with the Versys. My versys sounds like it has a little whine coming from the tranny.. However the engine itself seems fairly quiet, even without a helmet (the short stint I did with it) but that was not up to speed really. I can handle a little tick here and there, maybe a little whine. No knocking or loud pinging though.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
All chain drive bikes make some chain noises. If your rear wheel is in alignment (string thing alignment check) and chain slack is OK you should be fine. Also it will make less noise when lubricated.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 04:39 AM

Hmmmm.... a gasoline powered machine with gears and chains making mechanical noises.... That's strange... Take it back to the dealer and ask for the stealth version of the Versys.....

'14 Versys 650 (Green)
'14Honda CB500x
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 07:59 AM

Maybe one of these whet help? There's less to MAKE noise anyway.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 12:09 PM

Garage
I live in a helmet jurisdiction, and always wear a full face. The few times I have done short distances while visiting some No Helmet states I find I can't hear a damn thing over the wind noise.

Always trust your cape.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I say you get someone else to ride it past you while you listen from the sidewalk.... bikes always sound great when they ride past!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 08:28 PM

It sounds like you are not checking your chain adjustment at the tightest position BY SITTING ON IT!
Unless you are a fly weight, it makes a significant difference and you are likely running your chain TOO TIGHT.

And keep your chain cleaned and lubed every 3 rides or less with a spray can of each and a rag (Motul is a good quality brand for solvent and chain lube.) It takes about 5 minutes.

Then take a ride again to note the difference.

Note: the fairing buzz must be a 2013 thing like the older models that they previously fixed in 2012, ha ha.

Last edited by kawdog; 08-22-2015 at 08:37 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
So I am a MOTGATT kinda guy. Helmet gloves jacket and pants every time I ride. However, I live in lovely NH where a helmet is optional, and I went out to fill my tank (.5 miles from the house) without a helmet. It is the first time I have ridden without a helmet on this bike, and I noticed a lot of scary noises while I was riding. sounded like the chain was grinding on the sprocket brakes were "scuffy" and louder than I thought. The fairing buzz was deafening, and the engine sounded awful. So upon going home I looked the bike over and every thing look normal. I put my helmet on and took a short ride and things were back to "normal".
So I guess my question is has anyone else experienced this, or is it just me being paranoid and used to the sounds in the helmet? I regularly oil the chain my pads have 4k miles on them and look fine. oil is good etc. etc. Bike sounds fine idling...
Save some lives and buy a loud pipe. It'll drown out all that engine clattering. Why did you think all them Harley guys riding around without helmets also have loud pipes, coincidence?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 10:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Versys View Post
I heard a chain-rub brake noise as I was heading down the freeway awhile back. I had my helmet on. I pulled off and looked over the bike and all seemed normal. I felt uneasy for a few miles, but didn't hear the sound again for a few months. Bike has performed fine, but for the life of me, I can't find anything wrong.
I bet you were riding a section of freeway with a concrete divider. Every time I ride past one my bikes sound noisy.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
It sounds like you are not checking your chain adjustment at the tightest position BY SITTING ON IT!
Unless you are a fly weight, it makes a significant difference and you are likely running your chain TOO TIGHT....
This is a fallacy. Kawi comes up w/ the specs for the chain 'slack' at 1 to 1.4" by aligning the THREE centers - axle, swing-arm, and counter-shaft center (at which point the chain WILL be at its tightest!), then measuring the slack w/ the bike unloaded.

So, TRYING to measure the slack while sitting astride is NOT necessary!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 10:09 AM

Garage
I was surprised how much noise came from the chain when I first got my versys; keeping it lubed helps a ton. I recently had to adjust the chain tension and that made a difference as well. At least it's easy to know when it's time to clean it :-)

Overall, this is one of the quietest bikes I've owned... sometimes too quiet.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ian, I'm like you using a modular and earplugs. I had mine on the paddock stand recently while doing the 7,500 mile stuff, started her up and popped her into gear and was surprised by the noises, but can't find anything really wrong. I have been riding with s guy with an older 750 Honda, and he remarks how good the stock pipes sound when gearing down.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 09:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernien View Post
Overall, this is one of the quietest bikes I've owned... sometimes too quiet.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 11:00 PM

Smile

Compared to my KLR, the Versys sounds great! I wear ear plugs when I ride so everything sounds great. Just maintain the bike and don't worry about the noises. If you owned a KLR, you would know what a bucket of bolts sounds like.

Jim

09 Kawasaki Versys - Green
07 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Black
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

I have since oiled the hell out of the chain, and it has helped a lot. Apparently I wasn't putting enough on there because it sounds and feels waaaaaay smoother. Exhaust is a must, but I'm am getting married in a week or so, so all my extra money has been going toward that for the last 3 months. next season it will be my first addition for sure. This is by far the quietest bike I have ever owned (exhaust wise), and that is probably why I noticed any noise at all. Just a little paranoid I guess. thanks for all the feedback.
Oh and Never Mr. Time. Electric bikes are the worst thing ever invented if you ask me. I know your comment was most likely tongue in cheek, but man I just don't get why they even bother. Motorcycles use less fossil fuel burning gas than it takes to charge those batteries. Not to mention its like removing the soul of the two wheel experience. That's my take anyways.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys

Last edited by IanThomas; 08-25-2015 at 08:22 AM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Ian - CONGRATS on your coming nuptials, and GOOD LUCK!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 06:15 PM

Yep just joking on the Electric Bike.

All bikes make noise. My KLR runs like a top, 36,000+ miles on a 2009 and going strong. BUT a friend said it sounded like his lawnmower and I told to get his lawnmower to the ship fast! It's the worse sounding bike I've ever owned.

Dry chains sound really hasty though...keep it lubed.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
I have since oiled the hell out of the chain, and it has helped a lot. Apparently I wasn't putting enough on there because it sounds and feels waaaaaay smoother. Exhaust is a must, but I'm am getting married in a week or so, so all my extra money has been going toward that for the last 3 months. next season it will be my first addition for sure. This is by far the quietest bike I have ever owned (exhaust wise), and that is probably why I noticed any noise at all. Just a little paranoid I guess. thanks for all the feedback.
Oh and Never Mr. Time. Electric bikes are the worst thing ever invented if you ask me. I know your comment was most likely tongue in cheek, but man I just don't get why they even bother. Motorcycles use less fossil fuel burning gas than it takes to charge those batteries. Not to mention its like removing the soul of the two wheel experience. That's my take anyways.
Watched a documentary a while back about a weekend of electric bike races on the Isle of Man. One of the rider issues was hitting birds. I sure as hell would not want to do a face plant on a robin at 70mph.

2008 Ninja 250
2009 KLR 650
2015 Versys 1000 LT

Bob
Menasha, WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode