Seems I got a bit unlucky and have a slow (for now) coolant leak.
Something has hit the water pump on the underside (shown in pic) and taken a chunk out, making me sad just in time for spring. To help orient yourselves the right of the image faces outwards on the right hand side of the bike (from perspective of the rider) on the left side you can (just) see the oil filter.
Any advice on what you (or a shop) might do to remedy this?
It seems (to me) that there are three pieces - pump housing, an (apparently very thick) gasket and then the engine casing where you can see the stamped number 8 and the bolts with 12 on them. Am I seeing that right, or is that piece in the middle actually a separate metal part with gaskets either side?
So a couple questions for the more learned than I...
1. IS that a gasket or a seperate metal piece where most of the impact damage is?
2. If it is a gasket, can I replace it and do nothing else and hope it fixes things?
3. Has anyone opened up that part and give me an idea how thick the gasket is? (Asking because it should give me some idea if 2. might work)
4. Suppose I need to fill the part of the hole thats on the engine casing side - How might that be done while still making sure the surface of the gasket seal is smooth.
5. Can I skip 1-4 and just put some kind of goo that will cure so I can stop worrying? Are there any long term consequences of this? (Like accidentilly bonding surfaces together and making water pump replacement difficult / impossible)
6. what would you do about said problem?
Thanks in advance!