My Thoughts - 16T Front Sprocket - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My Thoughts - 16T Front Sprocket

I bought a 16T steel Sunstar on the web for $12 and free shipping. It's makes some noise around 50-55 mph but that goes away if the speed is less, or more. Not too bad, anyway.

After roughly 2,000 miles with the 16 tooth front sprocket installed..... I'm going to stay with it.

300 or 400 less RPMs and the speedometer is actually 2mph pessimistic at 75 mph. I'm thinking that it changed the indicated speed by approx 6mph @75.

The hard part was getting the sprocket off of the bike. an extra two feet of cheater bar and a helper..... Never saw one this tight.

That's all I know for now.

Next opinion, please.

No matter where you go - there you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Sounds good. But will it still clutch up in second?

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Any noise on the drive chain to me indicates something is not adjusted right. Did you check your slack at the tightest position WHILE you were SITTING on it? For me, that is a BIG difference, like the better part of an inch more slack.

Also, I like the Vs. 650 acceleration up to the top end, for safety, and don't want to really ever go over that. Did you do it to save on engine wear an tear, or just used to all of your other big bikes top ends?

Safety First!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Any noise on the drive chain to me indicates something is not adjusted right. Did you check your slack at the tightest position WHILE you were SITTING on it? For me, that is a BIG difference, like the better part of an inch more slack.

Also, I like the Vs. 650 acceleration up to the top end, for safety, and don't want to really ever go over that. Did you do it to save on engine wear an tear, or just used to all of your other big bikes top ends?

Safety First!

The sprocket he got was not "Dampened" so there will be more noise than the stock dampened one...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post

Safety First!

What distance do you set your chain at "while sitting on it"?
Per manual? 1.0-1.4" (25-35mm)...I ask because the manual doesn't state to "add weight" and check.

Thanks,

thread derail over...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgb View Post
What distance do you set your chain at "while sitting on it"?
Per manual? 1.0-1.4" (25-35mm)...I ask because the manual doesn't state to "add weight" and check.

Thanks,

thread derail over...
Chain tension is to be checked with rear suspension fully extended for consistency... You can then confirm that it's not too tight with regular payload on it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
No, it's not the chain too tight or the chain too loose noise and it's aligned with a laser alignment tool.

It's "I didn't install the rubber dampened sprocket" noise.

;-)

I installed the taller front sprocket to both lower the RPMs at cruise, and to make the speedometer more accurate. As it turns out, 70 indicated is now actually 72, according to two different GPS units.

Last edited by kballowe; 08-18-2015 at 06:38 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 08:19 PM

I put the 16 tooth from Kawasaki on mine no noise in my speedo is off one mile-per-hour just a good thing all around

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
No, it's not the chain too tight or the chain too loose noise and it's aligned with a laser alignment tool.

It's "I didn't install the rubber dampened sprocket" noise.

;-)

I installed the taller front sprocket to both lower the RPMs at cruise, and to make the speedometer more accurate. As it turns out, 70 indicated is now actually 72, according to two different GPS units.
I got the same exact sprockets, but standard count. To me, the rubber one's are more variable and may wear out faster with the payload and acceleration mine takes. Mine started to make those same noises, and that's when I sat on it and saw it was WAY too tight. ymmv

I was glad it made the sounds which alerted the rider that it needs tweaking. Yes the rubber ones will not be as noisy, but then again, increased wear can happen when you do not take corrective action. The Sunstar's are Japanese oem quality sprockets, and once you break them in (w/o sounds?) and maintain a cleaning and lube every couple of days with 2 spray cans and a towel (in 5 minutes), they provide excellent service. The tradeoff may be a slight vibration effect from the rubber dampened, but mine is doing fine. I guess the only way to really tell would be to put the rubber sprockets on: but my oem ones were shot in 7k miles when I first got my bike (which is unknown causes w/ lack of care at the top of the list.) I may try the rubber ones next time for a real comparison.

My gold DID x-chain and sprockets were about $160 plus at least $30 labor to install, so I was going to make sure mine was broken in and maintained as careful as possible. You can feel the difference in a clean lubed chain: probably more of a difference than with the rubber ones which may mask vibration effects. With the small 520 x-ring chain size though, cleaner and lubed sounds better.

Last edited by kawdog; 08-18-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode