2014 Versys ABS -- rubbing brake pad - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2014 Versys ABS -- rubbing brake pad

Hey gang,

I have a 2014 Versys ABS (5500 miles) with a rubbing rear brake. I took the brake apart about 300 miles ago and cleaned the caliper piston, pads, etc with Simple Green and a toothbrush. I sprayed a little dry teflon grease on the caliper piston. After reassembly it was *perfect* for 250 miles or so, and now the rubbing is back. Not horrific, but i can definitely feel it a tad in the bars when the clutch is pulled in.

The rub is consistent in that I feel it every time I pull in the clutch. It feels like a warped rotor. Not sure if the rotor is out of tolerance or not. Right now it is pretty livable, but the rotor is very warm to touch when I stop. My expectation from previous experience is that if I ignore this for another 300 miles it will grow slowly and steadily worse.

Anyone know what this could be? I think my bike is still under warranty, so I could just bring it in, but I'm not sure how helpful the dealer will be either, and I hate for them to bill me a bunch of labor for diagnosis and decide it's not under warranty.

Thoughts?

Mike

Last edited by MaineVersys; 08-10-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 02:57 PM

Garage
Is it a consistent rub or on and off? Is the brake lever pulsing? If it's consistent it's not warped. Or it could be this <<<--- click on the link
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 07:55 PM

Garage
I'm new to this bike, and haven't done anything to the brakes on it, but when I've had other bikes with brake drag, it's been the caliper seals holding the Pistons from retracting well. Might be worth looking at.

In my case, corrosion got under the seals and pushed them out so they were tight on the piston. Pulled the old seals, cleaned the grooves they sit in, put in new ones, and cleaned off the Pistons and was good to go. NJ roads are well salted in the winter and that makes a mess with stuff like this. Might be worth a look.

Also, if the seals are good and seated properly, but the piston has corrosion, it simply might not slide smoothly past the seals due to that corrosion. Pistons should be nice and smooth so they don't hang up. The hydraulic pressure will overcome the corrosion pushing them out, but then they get stuck and drag on the rotor. If they drag for long and bad enough the danger is they will heat up and warp the rotor.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks both of you!

I will try both of these things out!

I live in Maine and rode both late in 2014 and early in 2015. I suppose that could lead to both issues you two mentioned.

My rotor feels a tad warped -- I don't feel it so much when braking, but I do feel the on-and-off nature in my bars when i'm holding the clutch in and coasting. Cleaning up those 'donuts' could make a big difference.

As for the piston ring seal, that makes a lot of sense that my scrubbing cleaned it up well enough to work for a short bit (especially with a little Teflon), but it has now reverted to the regular nonsense.

Awesome. I'm feeling pretty confident that I'll get this tackled. Will let you know how it goes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode