Random Stalling - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Random Stalling

My 2014 Versys with 42,000kms stalls randomly, randomly as in I have yet to notice a pattern...

First time I noticed it last year around December, back then I did fiddle around with connectors, made sure everything was plugged in and no hoses pinched, etc. It didn't do it after a while, until one day when I stopped at a toll booth, as I stopped the engine shut down. It started just fine...

After that is has done it a few more times, sometimes I thought I might had been in a gear too high, so I blamed it on myself. Sometimes I thoguth I might have let go off the clutch too fast, etc.

Basically what happens is that sometimes the engine will shut down and it always starts after a couple tries. It happened once when shifting gears, I might have been doing 30mph, just kept riding and it eventually came back to life. Usually happens when coming to a stop. Most of the times I've noticed it the bike was low on fuel, as in the last bar...

It also happens always when it has been raining, not necessarily during the rain.

I'm blaming it on water in the fuel. A small drop of water might get in the fuel supply and the engine will shut down until it passes through the injectors. I don't know if it the gas station I usually refuel at, so right now I've changed fuel stations and today I put injector cleaner and water remover in the fuel; injector cleaner has always cleared this issues before. Today after the injector cleaner and water remover I did notice the bike was running smoother, but it might be just placebo effect.

So I want to be prepared in case it turns out to be something else, so any ideas? I've never had a bike do something like this before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Is your idle set to 1300 rpm? When were your spark plugs replaced, valves adjusted, and throttle bodies synched?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
if your suspecting water in fuel... is the space around the fuel filler cap draining?
If you pour water over the fuel cap does it drain via the tube exiting behind LHS foot peg?
Check the drain hoses are not pinched on LHS lower tank.

I'd also check the kick stand switch and tip over switch.

I had a engine cut out while filtering between cars on a bridge and could not start it again - had to waddle it over to the side and it took 30 sec to start with me kick the stand up and down a few time etc.
- my possible cause oil from my chain oiler as the whole area is very oily

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
It may be idle is low or your riding.... or just do the basic check as per INVADERS post.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Idle speed is fine, first times I noticed it it was a bit low but since then it has been corrected. As for valves and plugs, it's on the OEM plugs and valves have not been adjusted yet, but the symptoms do not match valves or plugs. It starts up perfectly when hot (tight valves lead to hard hot starts) and both cylinders shut down, its not a misfire when one plug or coil fails.

Good idea about the kickstand sensor, that would shut it down without throwing a code, I'm going to check it.

Also, the drain of the tank was pinched the first time this started, so it was not draining water from around the tank. I've fixed that since then. The gasket in the cap looks fine, no tears or debree stuck in there.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 10:45 PM

Beside inspecting and cleaning your sidestand switch, connectors, battery terminal tops, grounds, vacuum hoses, etc, have you at least tried removing your original 42,000 km spark plugs and inspected your coils for oxidation buildup? It's more than overdue for a complete tuneup.

Last edited by invader; 08-10-2015 at 10:47 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Beside inspecting and cleaning your sidestand switch, connectors, battery terminal tops, grounds, vacuum hoses, etc, have you at least tried removing your original 42,000 km spark plugs and inspected your coils for oxidation buildup? It's more than overdue for a complete tuneup.
"complete tuneup"? According to the service manual the valves are adjusted at 42,000kms, not before, so they are not overdue. The plugs are iridium, if you want to waste your money, you can replace yours every 7500 miles; sorry but I'm not wasting my money on plugs that are not needed. Also there is nothing that could make me think there is a problem with the coils or the plugs and I already explained why they can be ruled out as the culprit. I've done all the maintenance by the book, save for the plugs, that is why the drain line was pinched, as I removed the tank to get to the air filter.

By the way, the bike has behaved perfectly after I put on the water remover.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
hmmm... maybe check for hairline cracks in the coils

they can get cracks and then voltage leaks out and you get intermittant spark.
symptoms: irregular idle, rough idle, poor running in low rpms or stalling.

not that common and hard to diagnose, but does happen - even cars.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 08:37 AM

On our KLR's it's the dang lock out switches most of the time...side stand and clutch. Ususlly notice while trying to start the bike though which is not your case.

Anyway, simple check and clean job to rule it out.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Well, the culprit was water in the fuel.

Since then I've been refueling at different stations and I've yet to have another issue. After the fuel water remover the idle got a bit higher and on the 2nd water-free tank of fuel, the idle got even higher, I had to adjust it. As of now the idle has not needed more adjustment, so I guess all water has been removed from the fuel, and I've even rode it with the fuel warning blinking, which was when it failed the most.

I never thought that the idle was related to the contaminated fuel, I always thought that somehow the idle adjustment screw had backed off... And when I finally figured out that the two issues were related, I realized that I also had the same issue on my 2010 Versys... Again, same fuel station.

Fuel theft is pretty bad in this country, usually gas stations give you less fuel than what you're paying for, 950/900ml and charge you for one liter. Freaking thieves... I went to that station because it was the least "thievy" of the stations near my place. In that station I got about 19 liters when the reserve warning started blinking, on the next closest station I got 20 to 20.5 liters! I was choosing the lesser evil, but water in the fuel? That's too much.

Last edited by Süsser Tod; 09-07-2015 at 12:55 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
Well, the culprit was water in the fuel.

Since then I've been refueling at different stations and I've yet to have another issue. After the fuel water remover the idle got a bit higher and on the 2nd water-free tank of fuel, the idle got even higher, I had to adjust it. As of now the idle has not needed more adjustment, so I guess all water has been removed from the fuel, and I've even rode it with the fuel warning blinking, which was when it failed the most.

I never thought that the idle was related to the contaminated fuel, I always thought that somehow the idle adjustment screw had backed off... And when I finally figured out that the two issues were related, I realized that I also had the same issue on my 2010 Versys... Again, same fuel station.

Fuel theft is pretty bad in this country, usually gas stations give you less fuel than what you're paying for, 950/900ml and charge you for one liter. Freaking thieves... I went to that station because it was the least "thievy" of the stations near my place. In that station I got about 19 liters when the reserve warning started blinking, on the next closest station I got 20 to 20.5 liters! I was choosing the lesser evil, but water in the fuel? That's too much.
get a 1L beaker and measure your gas and call them out on there ****

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 03:14 PM

You probably already know this, but here it is anyway:

REPORTE (Publicado el 23 de agosto de 2015) | Programa de Verificación de Gasolineras

Just type in your state (Entidad Federativa) and then select buscar. Or you can enter information in all three search boxes at the top of the page.

You may want to also check your filter sock on the fuel pump. The last time I had water in my gas the fuel pump filter was clogged with debris and I had the same symptoms as you until I removed the pump and cleaned the filter in San Luis Potosi. Buena suerte.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Kiko, that is not completely accurate, many stations refuse to let the inspectors in:

Gasolineras reciben a verificadores con matones: Profeco | El Universal

Also, both of those stations do have the PROFECO holograms, so they have been tested and found to be "OK"...

El Universal has it's own program to check gas stations, lots of them refuse the tests (both of the stations I mentioned have been confirmed to be overcharging). I've tried two gas stations that have been checked with no problems and I'm only able to pump 18 liters when the fuel warning is blinking!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Get your self a Mr Funnel
It will keep the water contaminants out when filling - but you will have to carry it somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode