Patch a tire - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Patch a tire

I picked up a nail on my last ride and want to save this tire, several thousand miles left on it. I used a regular plug but not successfully so I have ordered patch plugs that are installed from the inside. So my question is, has anyone used these before? Is there a trick? Burn incense? Hope you can help........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 12:17 PM

I use Dynaplug for side of the road repair. A regular patch on the inside of the tire is the best answer. I like Remey Tip-Top patches but patches are like oil, everyone has their own favorite.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
No trick. Just follow instructions and you will be fine. I would never continue to run on a plug. That is a temporary measure to get you home.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
No trick. Just follow instructions and you will be fine. I would never continue to run on a plug. That is a temporary measure to get you home.
+1

I plugged a rear tire in Oklahoma which got me home to Florida just fine but failed a couple of months later. I replaced the entire rear tire with only 6k miles on it. Should have patched it as soon as I got home. Live and learn...

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

I plugged a new tire with only 27 miles on it and rode it till 5500 miles but it was pure stubbornness. I get that way sometimes
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
+1

I plugged a rear tire in Oklahoma which got me home to Florida just fine but failed a couple of months later. I replaced the entire rear tire with only 6k miles on it. Should have patched it as soon as I got home. Live and learn...
I've run every tire I ever plugged until they were treadless. Never had one fail. That's been a whooping 3 (that I can remember) over the last 40 years or so. YMMV.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Use a mushroom plug from inside to make a proper repair and your are good to run till it wear off...
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I've run every tire I ever plugged until they were treadless. Never had one fail. That's been a whooping 3 (that I can remember) over the last 40 years or so. YMMV.
You were lucky. How often did you check the air in the tire just to make sure?

I ran 1000 miles to home on a plug in a rain groove, but I was checking that tire twice a day. Would have felt better if I had a TPMS like I now have on my touring bikes.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
You were lucky. How often did you check the air in the tire just to make sure?
Couldn't tell ya. I'm sure it wasn't any more often than I check them now which is around once a month or so.

I remember on the last one, as the tire wore down, the repaired area became almost undetectable as it just blended with the rubber.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 07:28 AM

Tire manufacturers generally recommend a patch on the inside as the preferred repair. I have patched many tires and never had a problem with them.

I recently came across something called Dynaplug on a Corvette forum. It is a self contained plugging system that uses a different type of plug. I ordered one for the Versys and then another for the cars. The one I carry on the Versys is about 4" long, 1" in diameter, weighs about an ounce 32 grams.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 10:52 AM

I like these for patches
patch plug (patch and plug in one)

my tire guys use this to lightly rough up the tire on the inside. need to get one my self one now that I have the no-mar tire machine.
buffing wheel

Last edited by Motojunkee; 07-30-2015 at 10:54 AM.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
+1 but many more than three. And more than once multiple plugs in the same tire
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
+1 but many more than three. And more than once multiple plugs in the same tire
I used to carry a compressor and a patch kit with me everywhere. Now I hold my nose, pay $15 a tube for Ride On and never worry about flats or balancing tires anymore. I figure if I get something so devastating that the Ride On can't patch it, I wouldn't be able to fix it at the side of the road with a patch either. That's what the AMA's Roadside service is for.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I used to carry a compressor and a patch kit with me everywhere. Now I hold my nose, pay $15 a tube for Ride On and never worry about flats or balancing tires anymore. I figure if I get something so devastating that the Ride On can't patch it, I wouldn't be able to fix it at the side of the road with a patch either. That's what the AMA's Roadside service is for.
Read many reviews of it and would still be carrying plugs for where there's no coverage. Go through a lot of tires. Balancing isn't an issue. While I can't see using it all the time I could definitely see using it in a new set before going to Alaska. There's a pic of a 160 floating around here with a bottle and a half in it extending the coverage quite a bit.

If you're paying for AMA 35 miles free is great. Have AAA rv/mc good for 100. One of the two times I've used it was 97.something tow

Last edited by gotfz1; 07-30-2015 at 11:18 PM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

The plug patches I ordered from napa came without instructions, so I roughed up the patch surface, applied glue and pulled the plug thru. Then I pressed the inner patch down with a roller, snipped off the excess on the outside, installed and inflated the tire. Now I'm watching the bubbles....lots of bubbles. What did I do wrong?
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
The plug patches I ordered from napa came without instructions, so I roughed up the patch surface, applied glue and pulled the plug thru. Then I pressed the inner patch down with a roller, snipped off the excess on the outside, installed and inflated the tire. Now I'm watching the bubbles....lots of bubbles. What did I do wrong?
Maybe needed MORE glue, or the damage is more extensive....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Always on the bike and has saved my butt twice....http://www.stopngo.com/tire-mobility-kit-for-cars/

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

I have to pull the tire again, of course, and I'll see what happened but the new Raven I was saving for the trip is going on now. enuf o'dis.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post

If you're paying for AMA 35 miles free is great.
Yeah, I had to use it once when I was about 60 miles from home. Had my wife meet in the city that was ~30 miles, from where I had a flat. Tow truck backed up to my wife in our pickup and I rolled it from his bed to mine, signed the paper, and off we went.

As to balancing, I think that's actually a pretty good reason to use it, even in areas where flats are less likely than the Alcan trail or such. The problem with wheel weights is that they're great right up until you skid the tire and then it's out of balance. Not an issue with the goop. Supposedly, it makes tires last longer. I'd have to ride the same bike, on the same tire, in the same weather at the same speeds to be sure. All I know is the front seems to be doing great. The back one has succumb to my inability to ride the bike without it screaming like a race bike. That kinda power can be hard on innocent rubber...
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
The problem with wheel weights is that they're great right up until you skid the tire and then it's out of balance...
Can't say I've ever experienced this issue. I've skidded plenty on street and track and undies. Maybe there's another meaning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode